Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
7 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I didn’t pick up on this at the time (not going to lie, I didn’t understand the reference even though I’d seen the show it’s from), but Excalibur closed the show by saying ‘Fix your heart or die, this is All Elite Wrestling’ which is apparently a show of support for trans rights, taken from a line in Twin Peaks. Good for him.

Hope the company as a whole follows suit by actually booking Nyla Rose to do something - I can’t help but wonder if the decision not to use her is tied into the ‘current climate’ as far as trans rights is concerned. I sincerely hope it’s not.

Wasn't there an issue with booking Rose in certain states because of some yank bullshit revisions about trans performers in "contact" sports. I'm sure it was somewhere like Oklahoma or in the south. I'm sure that's not an issue everywhere though, but I'm far too thick as pigs to read into that more and understand.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, Chili said:

Wasn't there an issue with booking Rose in certain states because of some yank bullshit revisions about trans performers in "contact" sports. I'm sure it was somewhere like Oklahoma or in the south. I'm sure that's not an issue everywhere though, but I'm far too thick as pigs to read into that more and understand.

The only thing I’m aware of as far as that goes was in Oklahoma, and Tony Khan issued a statement (link to cagesiteseats - apologies if they’re shitheads, I struggled to find this online) supporting her at the time. But she’s not wrestled for the company since December 2024, despite not being injured. She’s charismatic, very witty and pretty solid in ring - I can’t fathom why the company wouldn’t use her to do something.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Nyla Rose isn't really that good in the ring, to be fair. She was fun on commentary on Dark.

I'm fairly certain she has an office/backstage job with the company anyway. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Nyla Rose isn't really that good in the ring, to be fair. She was fun on commentary on Dark.

She’s solid, not spectacular - but I could see them working around her deficiencies through a tag team; or even using the credibility she’s built up over the years to put people over. She’s good enough in ring to be worth using in my view, especially when you consider her mic ability - she has to be one of the strongest on the women’s roster.

She’s brilliant on commentary for Evil Uno’s Mystery wrestling too - personally, at the very least, I’d feel inclined to add her to the rotation on the announce desk. But I think she could really elevate the right act - I think she’d do much more for Thekla than Blue and Hart, for example. They’d bounce off one another incredibly well. Or as a voice/bodyguard for a heel Statlander - again, she’d give value there given how weak Stat is on the mic.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Even with a promo as good as he delivered on this show, I’m still not massively jazzed with Mark Briscoe vs. MJF as the World Title direction.

My hope is that Briscoe and Andrade are TV challengers and they eventually move on to MJF vs. Orange Cassidy. I checked on cagematch and can’t believe they’ve only ever wrestled one singles match. Seems a natural pairing of two AEW Originals. They’d likely have an amazing match, too.

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Even with a promo as good as he delivered on this show, I’m still not massively jazzed with Mark Briscoe vs. MJF as the World Title direction.

I think @WyattSheepMask cracked it when he floated the prospect of an MJF/Briscoe/Andrade/Knight four-way. It would explain why all four of them are gunning for MJF at the same time, and helps progress Andrade’s eventual departure from the Don Callis family, by pitting him against Knight. 

Now that you mention him, I really wish we’d got Darby/Cassidy during Darby’s title run. I’m fairly certain they’ve never wrestled, and this would have given them the perfect reason to, without them having to feud.

  • Paid Members
Posted

My heart skipped a beat when MJF got that snide dig in about Hangman Adam Page. One single moment, but my brain exploded into a spider web of ideas and possibilities.

MJF vs. Omega at the Redemption pay per view, Title vs. Career.

Hangman interferes, costs MJF the title, saves Omega’s career and they have a toast afterwards, Hangman on the beers, Omega with a pint of Semi-Skimmed. Literal redemption, playing into the best story they ever told. Omega/Hangman lore remains my favourite of all the lores.

Wembley Double Main Event of Omega vs. Ospreay for the Title and Hangman vs. MJF Exploding Barb Wire Death Match.

Something massive like that is needed if they’re going to shift the sixty thousand empty seats they currently have. I’d definitely travel down for something like that.

MJF’s already having the year of his life righting all the wrongs and fixing all his and the company’s mistakes. Finish the job. Deliver the explosions. And then forbid Hangman from deciding who to go for a Nando’s with after the show.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Mick Foley wants to do a match in AEW apparently. Foley & Hangman vs MJF & Swerve Strickland in an all-the-gimmicks deathmatch should be easy enough to get to and would sell some tickets for All In.

Edited by LaGoosh
  • Paid Members
Posted

Incredible shout. I hadn’t even considered getting Mick in. That feels like a genuine draw. I wonder if they could even involve Darby to make it a six-man and dilute it even more to help hide how limited Mick is. Just a shame I can’t think of any heels to add to MJF/Swerve.

Posted

Mick in an Anarchy In The Arena might be best, have him come in last to save the babyfaces with his barbed wire bat etc. Doesn't have to do half as much as others.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Couldn't he not get cleared a few years ago because he was an absolute wreck? This seems like a horrible, depressing idea.

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Couldn't he not get cleared a few years ago because he was an absolute wreck? This seems like a horrible, depressing idea.

While I agree, Foley did a run-in during the Sandman/Invisible Man match and was moving better than he has done in years. An actual match would be a terrible idea - An Anarchy in the Arena bit of nonsense? That could probably be done relatively safely and let him have a big moment or two that's not built around bumps.

The difficulty would be keeping him to what he actually can do, as you know he'll try to push it.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, Chris B said:

The difficulty would be keeping him to what he actually can do, as you know he'll try to push it.

I guess you could have him do a socko claw. Great. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, gmoney said:

Couldn't he not get cleared a few years ago because he was an absolute wreck? This seems like a horrible, depressing idea.

I suppose it depends how you do it - say it’s Darby/Hangman/Foley vs. MJF/Swerve/Knight - you have a situation in which Darby and Hangman can do all the heavy lifting, with Foley tagging in for a few crowd-pleasing spots at whatever level he’s cleared for. He doesn’t even need to take a bump. 

Whether he can be trusted to stick to his limitations is another thing entirely, but given that he opted not to have a Ric Flair-style ‘last match’ show for the reasons you say, I’d have to hope that he’s at least slightly careful about his own wellbeing.

Posted
17 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Couldn't he not get cleared a few years ago because he was an absolute wreck? This seems like a horrible, depressing idea.

A few years ago while training for what would be his retirement match he received a concussion. He didn't even realise it until the symptoms got worse. 

I think weight and health wise he's in a better place. The intention of that 60th retirement match was the Ric Flair's last match main event selling point of an independent show. It's maybe now within the confines of AEW where he wouldn't have to do as much that's given him some confidence it could be done. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...