Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I remember the grandfather clock one, but it was more from a songs cassette that my little sister listened to. Never got it at school.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I've been trying to think of what we sang, I'm sure we didn't sing that Abrahams Bosom that BombCarCarCar mentioned because we would have spent so long laughing at the word bosom I would have remembered. Keep in mind that I only went to Cubs once as a child because I wouldn't stop laughing at the word woggle,  bosom would have done me right in. 

We did sing most of what has been mentioned. We also sang Sloop John B from time to time as well. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I can still play the melody from Colours of Day on a keyboard for absolutely no reason.

Autumn Days, If I had a Hammer, and others mentioned in here were regulars. One I’ve not seen mentioned yet is Island in The Sun by Harry Belafonte which we got now and again.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Only ones I can remember as of this moment are;

Kum Ba Ya

Give Me Oil In My Lamp

He’s Got The Whole World In His Hands

Conkers

Lord Of The Dance (which my one friend requested as it hadn’t been sung in so long and made me question our friendship)

Yesterday Once More - Jam Tonik (I hated it with a passion)

Then we had actual pop artists

Lighthouse Family - Lifted

Heather Small - Reach (and another I can’t remember)

A song by Gabrielle that I can’t remember either.

And by year 6 it was Robbie Williams - Angels. Which was also chosen as the final number for our leavers assembly. Which my mum videoed and has me stone faced not joining in at all. Even then I was as miserable as Larry David. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Lord Of The Dance 

I remember this too. Still remember the lyrics as well.

Edited by Carbomb
Boncho Guentchev
Posted
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The second verse mentions bacon and obviously everyone would look at me and laugh when that was sung. Which is fair.

Didn't the last verse have a line about "a win for my home team"? No danger of everyone looking your way for that one at least.

The acting headteacher at my junior school was also the resident pianist and took the autumn part in Autumn Days way too seriously - I think in my 4 years there we only sang it once outside of autumn term.

At the end of every school year, even going right back to Infants' I'm sure we'd always finish with One More Step Along the World I Go. Another song where the chorus mentioned how there's only one world sprang to mind but a quick Google search for what I thought were the lyrics only yielded a completely different (and probably newer) hippie ditty for kids.

  • Paid Members
Posted
54 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

One More Step Along the World I Go

Bloody hell, this thread's got old, rusty neurons in my brain firing.

From the old unto the new

Keep me travelling along with you

Posted

Thread should be renamed "All things Bright and Beautiful" or possibly "Shine, Jesus, Shine".

When I started going to church, I assume this what all the songs would be, but alas apart from the very occasional retro anthem by a band leader who's gotten a bit over-excited, it's all the modern stuff these days.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Cauliflowers fluffy and cabbages green, strawberries sweeter than any I’ve seen. Beetroot purple and onions white, all grow steadily day and night. The apples are ripe, the plums are red, broad beans sleeping in a blankety bed.

Shhhhhhhhh!

I fucking hated primary school.

Posted
8 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Only ones I can remember as of this moment are;

Kum Ba Ya

 

Anyone elses' class change the lyrics to 'I've come by car mi lord, come by car'?  Maybe just a Huddersfield thing...

Reading that reminded me that my Primary School headteacher was obsessed with The Beatles and we used to sing 'Yesterday' and 'Help from my Friends' in assembly.

Posted

I'm not sure if this thread is bringing back good memories of childhood trauma. Nope definitely trauma. 

Most of the classics have been covered already but I remember singing English Country Garden regularly. One time the piano lady got in a huff that we all gave it a good old footie style sing along and slowed the tempo down to some ridiculous speed deflating a couple of hundred primary school kids in the process. What she gained from that I have no idea.

Don't read below if you don't want a rant. 

Our school had a teacher who used to push the whole of the juniors into musical productions. Nothing fun and recognisable just musicals about the environment, rainforests, jungles, oil spills, coffee etc. He'd treat it as if it was a west end production dragging us out for practice daily each afternoon. Shouting at us, publicly firing people from lead roles and installing someone new.he had like ranks - key performers, a choir for tough bits and the other scrubbers at the sides. Used to make everyone feel like dog shit. 

Then they'd make you perform to parents in the evenings, allow you to come in late and teachers would get shitty you were late. Fuck I hate my primary school. 

The same teacher once made me sing a whole him Infront of the school during mandatory hymn practice as I wasn't singing allegedly. That upset me a lot for a long time. One kid I was mates with took the piss on the way home with his mother horribly. 

The teacher made the mistake a few years later of giving a few girls a slap on the wrist, one of them being my sister and we reported it so he got the sack. 

Needless to say I had the last laugh.

  • Members
Posted
10 minutes ago, simonworden said:

English Country Garden

Did anyone else change all the lyrics to shitting like we did?

"What do you do if you need to go poo, in an English country garden, find a leaf and wipe your underneath, in an English country garden" etc

Posted
8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Did anyone else change all the lyrics to shitting like we did?

"What do you do if you need to go poo, in an English country garden, find a leaf and wipe your underneath, in an English country garden" etc

I definately sang that a few times. Clearly we born to post on the UKFF.

  • Paid Members
Posted
53 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Did anyone else change all the lyrics to shitting like we did?

"What do you do if you need to go poo, in an English country garden, find a leaf and wipe your underneath, in an English country garden" etc

"What do you do if you can't find the loo, in an English country garden. Pull down your pants and piddle on the ants, in an English country garden".

We also had "He's got the whole world in his pants" until we got a stern talking to about it.

I'm trying to remember Milk Bottle Tops and Paper Bags now. I'm thinking "Iron bedsteads and dirty old rags" as the next line. Was this the one that had "Baby in the carry cot, cat by the stove" at the end of each verse, or am I mixing it with another?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...