Pro Wrestling Contract Season

SaitoRyo

• Paid Members

When it was expected Owens was leaving the last time, the contract he's supposed to have signed then was for $2.5Mill a year. Unless WWE willingly let his deal run out (no chance), or offer him a pay cut (unlikely), I can't see AEW being able to offer him more than that. I'd be very surprised if anyone in AEW is on more than $3M a year. (I expect Danielson, Moxley and Copeland, possibly MJF after resigning, are the closest to that). 

Owens should take as short a term deal as he can get out of Tony Khan for a change of scenery and then play the two off against each other in two years again. He'd have that 'new car smell' on him with both the jump to AEW and a WWE return, if he wanted. 

As for Miro, the only question remains why they didn't try to get rid of him sooner. Miro, Andrade, Black, Murphy. . .all colossal wastes of time and money for AEW. They weren't happy and didn't perform.

I understand there's probably a certain amount of not caving to demands for release so as not to set too much of a precedent, but with these fellas? They'd have lost nothing by letting them leave sometime ago, as you couldn't even get them to turn up to do a few jobs. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, WeeAl said:

I'd be very surprised if anyone in AEW is on more than $3M a year. (I expect Danielson, Moxley and Copeland, possibly MJF after resigning, are the closest to that). 

Mercedes Moné, Swerve Strickland, and Kazuchika Okada are all rumoured to be on more than that. Matching money isn't a problem for AEW, to the point that one of the talking points WWE likes to give its pet journalists is that AEW are over-paying their wrestlers. 

I know people who were offered contracts from AEW and ended up signing with WWE - obviously nothing like for this kind of money - but AEW offered them a lot more in base pay than WWE did. The golden rule, though, is that WWE sell you on opportunity - your base pay might be less, but once you factor in royalties and merch sales, you might make a lot more. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Mercedes Moné, Swerve Strickland, and Kazuchika Okada are all rumoured to be on more than that. Matching money isn't a problem for AEW, to the point that one of the talking points WWE likes to give its pet journalists is that AEW are over-paying their wrestlers. 

I know people who were offered contracts from AEW and ended up signing with WWE - obviously nothing like for this kind of money - but AEW offered them a lot more in base pay than WWE did. The golden rule, though, is that WWE sell you on opportunity - your base pay might be less, but once you factor in royalties and merch sales, you might make a lot more. 

I can see why AEW probably feel the need to offer more for the people they want, but surely there's a point where if you aren't being bid up, you just stop offering more? Only Swerve just signed that new deal, which is probably and should have been a really significant pay rise - before that I can't imagine he was on very much at all considering WWE weren't interested when he'll have signed his original deal? 

Mercedes is a weird one. It didn't seem like WWE were desperate to keep her, but it did feel like Tony was adamant he needed her to come in no matter what, so maybe she's making way more than I'm guessing. 

Okada - I thought the suggestion he was making, what, 4.5M a year? Had been widely laughed at?

Run up to All In news comes out that the Lucha Bros are looking to leave. WWE interest and AEW trying to re-sign them. Konnan crowing about it and Penta/Fenix having to play dumb on social media to downplay it.

Looks to have been a done deal. Talk that WWE were already getting merch designs ready for their arrival. Not like they are the only ones being talked about with Starks, Miro, Garcia and Malakai Black amongst the handful being talked about recently.

News from WON has Penta with about 2 months on his deal and Fenix having nearly a year added to his deal through injury time added.

• Paid Members

They will get paid to do nothing for a year, get really healthy, and turn up in shape for WWE. The only person that looks stupid in this is Tony because this is the sort of stuff WWE would do and AEW are supposed to be better than them. 

Great news for AEW though, Saraya has signed a contract extension. 

• Paid Members

CM Punk said Tony wasn’t a real boss because he just wanted to friends with the talent.

WELL LOOK WHAT YOU MADE HIM DO!

It’s a dick move on one hand and something he said they wouldn’t do. On the other, WWE clearly reached out before their contracts were up, apparently have been making merchandise in preparation (including masks which the Luchas wouldn’t give AEW the rights to) so it’s also hilarious.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Great news for AEW though, Saraya has signed a contract extension. 

I am unironically very pleased about this, her double act with Harley Cameron is a delight. Her start with AEW was disastrous, and obviously a mid card comedy act wouldn’t have been the dream scenario when she signed,  but her current run is the most entertaining I’ve ever found her work.