Joke and Phrase Retirement Home

gmoney

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The writers of 2011 - 2017 sitcom Workaholics had a whiteboard in the writers room on which was written phrases or jokes they considered to be played out or cliched, and these phrases were banned from their scripts. 

jokes-that-need-to-die-2.jpg EwKjRUAVEAIwpJn?format=jpg&name=900x900

A lot of these were jokes that were funny once, but had been run into the ground with overuse. 

In 2024 I see an epidemic of overuses jokes and phrases, nicked from social media memes, that make me internally sigh when I see them on here and elsewhere. Now to be clear, I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with referencing these sorts of things now and again when they're fresh, but there comes a time when they start to hum like Vader's vest. 

I'm here for it

Who had *** on their bingo card?

That's certainly a choice

I don't know who needs to hear this...

The perfect **** doesn't exist

Hang it in the Louvre

Babe, you haven't touched your ****

No notes

Find someone who looks at you like **** looks at ****

What tired phrase are you sick of seeing? Let's retire them. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

'Chef's kiss' does my head in.

'Welcome to the UKFF' anytime shitting or noncing got mentioned was doing the rounds on here a while back and was dire.

On the other hand, I think some of the old-school memes and jokes are due a comeback. I need to find a way to shoehorn 'all your base are belond to us' into a conversation.

Nobody:

Me: something

Just fuck off. You can almost always use the exact same joke without the pointless “nobody:” setup.

Also, “I understood that reference”. Cool. You were supposed to, that’s why I made it.

11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Core memory unlocked.

The core memory bollucks really annoys me. Also if you unlocked it, it wasn't a core memory. Core memories are our building blocks cognitively speaking. We don't forget them that's why they are core.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Any kind of POV bollocks.

A big one for me. There seem to be thousands of people on TikTok who don't know what "POV" means, because 99% of the time I see it, it's on a video that isn't from that person's POV.

When my niece was about five, she used to start every joke with "Knock knock", whether it was actually a "knock knock" joke or not. Whenever I see a video that starts "POV", it seems to be that - someone thinking that you need to say this phrase to signal that what follows is a joke.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Chili said:

Serving C**t.

This might be one for the Minor Annoyance thread, but I hate how much the language of RuPaul's Drag Race has infiltrated way too much of British queer and drag culture, and broader slang (especially online).

You're not "serving" or "giving" anything, because you're not an American ballroom queen, you don't speak like that. It's a flattening and standardising of culture and language that really annoys me, all in service of TV format points.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

A lot of this thread just goes into the "Things that make you feel old" thread, for me. Nothing makes me feel like a bewildered old man more than finding out that a reference is old when I didn't even know it was a reference in the first place.

Edited by Carbomb