• Paid Members
2 hours ago, deathrey said:

Didn't Joe Mangle from Neighbours present for a while too? 

He did. My abiding memory from his stint was him doing an interview with someone that centered around lingerie for the bugger-busted lady, during which he exclaimed "42H, what's the H stand for - HUMONGOUS??" 

This sticks in my head because my dad will still fairly regularly repeat that in a dodgy Australian accent. 

They rebooted it a couple in 2022 with Mo Gilligan and AJ Adudu and aired it on Saturday mornings. I caught a bit of it and while it wasn’t as awful as I imagined, it all felt a bit forced. The presenters constantly looked on edge and worried about the segments running over or falling apart, all while fake laughing. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

They rebooted it a couple in 2022 with Mo Gilligan and AJ Adudu and aired it on Saturday mornings. I caught a bit of it and while it wasn’t as awful as I imagined, it all felt a bit forced. The presenters constantly looked on edge and worried about the segments running over or falling apart, all while fake laughing. 

Weren’t all of the crew exclusively black too? 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

No way Johnny Vaughn's snark snark lad act holds up.

He does the Radio X drive time show. I haven’t listened much but I think it’s still the basis of his act. 

I probably wouldn't tune into his radio show or anything but I was a big Johnny Vaughan fan.

This episode of TV Heaven, Telly Hell is something I've watched more times than I care to admit.

If you cba to watch the whole thing, his bit on Jeff Stelling at around 8.10 always makes me laugh.

22 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

He does the Radio X drive time show. I haven’t listened much but I think it’s still the basis of his act. 

It’s basically the same act but aged up for dads. He’s more likely to veer off and talk about some historical tour he’s just been on than give it the old mad lad bantz. It’s definitely aged better than Chris Moyles act.

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I probably wouldn't tune into his radio show or anything but I was a big Johnny Vaughan fan.

I used to love his show in the mid to late 90s that had the “License To Lurk” bit where people would try and get on camera at the horse racing. And 17 seconds of fun, which wasn’t my promise when chatting up the ladies, but a 17 second clip of jaunty music and a turtle on a record player. Simpler times. 

• Paid Members

What’s surprised me there is how short the Vaughn and Van Outen era was. I remember it as though they were a morning staple for my whole childhood.

I don’t remember Brook at all but do remember Tarbuck.

I mentioned it in the retro thread but I bought V-Rally 2 off the back of a showing on Big Breakfast. Would love to watch that again.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Denise and Johnny were great, but I preferred the combo of Johnny and Liza Tarbuck. Love that woman.

It's interesting how quickly it went from fun, top telly to absolute death spiral, WCW-like demise when the rebranded it and Paul Tonkinson, Donna Air et al were made the main hosts. 

Edited by gmoney

What I remember best from the Johnny and Denise era was someone’s genius idea for them to cover Kylie and Jason Donovan’s ‘Especially For You’ for Children In Need in 1998, with Steps as backing vocals and an hilariously over the top video where they cosplayed as the two

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Weren’t all of the crew exclusively black too? 

Yeah, it started as part of a C4 day called Black to Front where they had had black presenters and talent taking on different shows and having them reflect black culture and heritage. The Big Breakfast was mixed. I though Mo was a good host to pick and did it well, but AJ is god awful and the forced crew interaction/laughter was painful.

• Paid Members

Johnny Vaughan's film review show, Moviewatch, was really good too. He used to occasionally do reviews of films Channel 4 had on in the afternoons on The Big Breakfast, that's how I discovered Bad Day at Black Rock, one of the great American films.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Johnny Vaughan's film review show, Moviewatch, was really good too. He used to occasionally do reviews of films Channel 4 had on in the afternoons on The Big Breakfast, that's how I discovered Bad Day at Black Rock, one of the great American films.

Vaughan was the master of talking to celebrities like they were his mates. When he'd interview proper a-listers, they sang to his tune. It was mad that he fell off so far. He was touted as being a massive star after Big Breakfast.