• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I've not seen a single poster, sign pole etc in anyones house for the Tories. Which given I live in a Tory constituency is both surprising and pleasing.

I've had more sightings of actual Jacob Rees-Mogg than posters for him. But overall I can't remember a general election campaign that's been less noticeable in "the real world".

• Paid Members

Very quick rule of thumb to remember for First Past The Post because it's not necessarily intuitive:

* If you're averaging below about 25% across the country, you benefit much more from your support being focused into particular areas (and regional-only parties like the SNP take that to the extreme.) 

* In the 25-35ish range, your spread of support makes less difference and it's more about the gap between the parties. In this range there's a much closer relationship between your vote share and the proportion of seats you win. (Inherently you aren't going to win a majority in this range.)

* If you're averaging somewhere above around 35%, you're better off being spread round the country. Have too much of your support in certain areas (eg Corbyn 2017) and you've got a cap on the number of seats you win. Spread it round and you've got a better chance of very narrowly winning a huge number of seats (because 35-40% in a particular seat will usually be enough to win.)

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Spread it round and you've got a better chance of very narrowly winning a huge number of seats

Which is the story of Johnson's 80-seat majority.

Remember Theresa May's disastrous General Election of 2017? She got 13,636,684 votes (42.3%). Johnson's triumph saw him net 13,966,454 (43.6%), a difference of only 330k (1.3 percentage points). There really wasn't much in it between him and May, except that his extra 330k involved a few thousand here, another few thousand there in a multitude of close seats. 

It really is a silly system.

• Paid Members

Haven't had a single pamphlet through the door. The village I'm closest too and the one I cast my vote in - there are no candidate posters of any kind. Definitely not normal. No candidate has darkened the door - which is entirely normal.

I remember one guy visited a few years ago, I wasn't in but somebody else spoke with him. This was a landmark as he's the only candidate I can recall ever darkening the door. 

It was only today that it dawned on me to check the constituency boundaries, and lo and behold, ours has now changed. The place we cast our votes in was essentially the dividing line between two areas, Fermanagh & South Tyrone and Mid Ulster. The former historically being one of, if not the, closest constituency in the UK. (A couple of the elections post 2000 have came down to 4 votes and 57 votes). 

So as much as it's normal for us to not get anyone canvassing, I do find it strange considering how close the margins always are here. Now we've been shifted, maybe that will change. Might explain the lack of flyers and cards on the streetlights I guess. 

• Paid Members

Just catching up on Question Time and I feel bad for Ed Davey who has taken I think 3 versions of "You didn't cancel student loans, why can we trust you?".

It was 14 years ago and he wasn't leader at the time, they also were a coalition government with the Tories so it never really stood a chance. Fiona Bruce is relentlessly bringing it up as well.

Actually one thing I have noticed across all of these debates and interviews is the hosts constantly trying to billy big bollocks the participants. Constantly asking loaded questions, trying to "yes or no" them on questions that are clearly more complicated, talking over them and butting in, it's frustrating and unprofessional.

There's this awful precident recently against all the "secondary" parties where they keep getting asked "well you're never going to be prime minister so you can just say what you want so who cares". If that's the case don't have them on then. Don't interview them and tell them whatever they're saying is a waste of everyone's time.

The only interviewer I would say I enjoyed and found to be incredibly calm, impartial and only really spoke up when facts needed checking was Nicky Campbell on BBC Radio 5.

6 minutes ago, FLips said:

The only interviewer I would say I enjoyed and found to be incredibly calm, impartial and only really spoke up when facts needed checking was Nicky Campbell on BBC Radio 5.

I'll be honest I think you get a much better standard of interviewer on the radio than you do on the telly, where it really is all about them mostly.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Still don't like Kier Starmer. Starts every answer with "we need..." but has no solutions. I don't think the CIA could waterboard a straight answer out of him.

Rishi Sunak up next and his first question is "you're doing a shit job, are you embarrassed at how shit you are?"

Gonna be a long half hour.

EDIT: Yeah Sunak unsurprisingly fucked up big time. A young lass asked him about leaving the European Convention on Human Rights and he ranted on about immigration and his Rwanda policy forever and then actually had the nerve to say "15 European countries agree with me, who agrees with you?" to audible gasps. She coolly went "that's not what my question was".

When he doubled down, a brash Scottish fella went "The only two countries who've left the ECHR are Russia and Belarus" to cheers.

He also loves to bring up how well Teesside are doing any chance he gets, and let me tell you readers he's full of shit because I live there and it's crumbling. He just thinks it's doing well because his constituency is nearby and his mate Ben Houchen won here.

He gets worse every time I see him.

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.3364fdca495c5ceb162be8da05a0148b.png

EDIT: In fairness, the Tories and Reform are fairly identifiable by the general cuntishness of their policies. I honestly thought I'd get at least one Labour policy in there, but there you go.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

4D62DDD9-D4F5-4D7D-AE5B-AF265D365CE9.thumb.png.efef703b2c23fc0b28ba803bfdf38ee0.png

The funniest Reform ones were the sections where their policies list was one sentence long and was basically “No more money for stinking foreigners.” 

Edited by JLM