So this is happening then, and Bacon's source* (sauce?) tells me it's on the cards for July 4th.

Excruciating and nauseating rhetoric/propaganda around independence and "breaking free" inbound. 

During the Euros as well, what a heel Sunak is.

Anyway, Election time baby! HERE WE HERE WE HERE WE FUCKING GO-D I've just remembered it's Starmer.

Anyway, we all know what this means. Its time! It's time! It's Lister time! Always the highlight of political threads.

*The source is Twitter.

Wonder if the client journalist lot will start applying the slightest bit of pushback to Starmer now. Can’t help but think they’ve been keeping their powder dry to see how Starmers cosying up to the media barons goes and take their lead from them. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wonder if the client journalist lot will start applying the slightest bit of pushback to Starmer now. 

Like who? 

This is a similar situation 1997 but without the positive 'cool Brittania' zeitgeist. Then the Tories were seen as your nan's politicians, yesterday's grey men who were washed up. Now they're largely just viewed as corrupt liars.

Same end result for the papers though, it's very hard to still keep trying to sell what nobody wants. The Express and Telegraph will keep it up because they're too far gone and it's their niche. The others have pretty much been gifted a distraction with the Euros. 

2 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Like who? 

Pretty much every tabloid and tv journalist, the ones who follow editorial guidance, the ones who aren’t giving him a jot of the scrutiny the previous leader had. 

• Paid Members

I'm surprised they've called it this early (if indeed they do). I was expecting Sunak to hold out until winter as he knows in all likelihood he'll lose. I thought he'd cling to power for as long as he could.

It'll probably be a 'none of the above' from me.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Pretty much every tabloid and tv journalist, the ones who follow editorial guidance, the ones who aren’t giving him a jot of the scrutiny the previous leader had. 

In fairness, he's given them nothing since 'Curry Gate'. It's not where the appetite is either. Public ire is with the Tories. Unless Starmer comes out in support of potholes I can't see it changing.

I'm convinced potholes & the general state of the roads is Top 3 issue for people. It absolutely is round here and when I speak to people elsewhere it seems like constant moan. 

• Paid Members

Rishi Sunak pretending he wasn't being drowned out by 'Things Can Only Get Better' and pretending it wasn't pouring rain.

That was the least dignified way a general election has ever been called, and when you consider who called the last one, that's saying something.

• Paid Members

The optics of trying to explain how you're going to be strong against Putin whilst it's pissing rain and D:REAM are playing is an incredible gambit.

11 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

In fairness, he's given them nothing since 'Curry Gate'.

He has lied repeatedly and u turned a massive number of times since then. 

As someone said, there is ambivalence towards labour and hatred towards tories throughout the country.  

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I'm surprised they've called it this early (if indeed they do). I was expecting Sunak to hold out until winter as he knows in all likelihood he'll lose. I thought he'd cling to power for as long as he could.

Apparently a leadership challenge was imminent, so you'd presume this is his way of avoiding that on the assumption they'd not do it during an election campaign (no idea on if they can, but the optics would be disastrous). He had to call it at some stage, better now than be ousted without actually getting to contest an election. Or that's at least the logic you'd assume is at play. 

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Apparently a leadership challenge was imminent, so you'd presume this is his way of avoiding that on the assumption they'd not do it during an election campaign (no idea on if they can, but the optics would be disastrous). He had to call it at some stage, better now than be ousted without actually getting to contest an election. Or that's at least the logic you'd assume is at play. 

Thanks for making me aware, I didn't know of any leadership election. Who would want to lead the Tories at this stage? Anyone who takes the position must surely know they're on a hiding to nothing. I suppose Erik ten Hag will be available soon.