AEW Dynasty - April 21st

Supremo

• Paid Members

Incredibly, this show is a week away! It’s a real achievement to have a card that looks this good on paper and yet somehow nobody is really talking about it. Wrestlemania overshadowing it hasn’t helped, but neither did airing that stupid Punk stuff last week. Completely distracted the conversation. Fingers crossed they’re over this Punk bullshit and we get a big, hard sell for the go-home week.

It won’t have the emotional resonance of the Sting retirement, nor will it have the crowd size of Revolution, but otherwise this looks like another banger show. Tony’s an idiot with a lot of flaws, who can’t help but get in his own way, but the man sure can put together a pay per view!

IMG_8047.thumb.jpeg.54689ee2641fc9a1b91d3a42616b2f6f.jpeg

Samoa Joe (c) vs. Swerve Strickland for the AEW World championship

Toni Storm (c) vs. Thunder Rosa for the AEW Women’s World title

Young Bucks vs. FTR in a Ladder match for the AEW World Tag Team championship

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. PAC for the AEW Continental title

Julia Hart (c) vs. Willow Nightingale for the TBS title

Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay

Adam Copeland, Mark Briscoe & Eddie Kingston vs. House of Black (Malakai Black, Buddy Matthews & Brody King)

Will Danielson and Ospreay break Meltzer’s scale? What’s the highest Dave’s gone? Seven stars? Eight? Could be looking at a tenner here, lads!

Will this be Swerve’s big coronation? Or will Hangman return to cost him again? Feels like now or never. And what state will Hangman be in if Swerve wins the World Title? I imagine Page showing up with a wild, unkept beard, like the Hardest Geezer returning from Africa. Weeks stuck at home, obsessing? He’s gonna be a mess! Cheese completely off his cracker.

Genuinely terrifying imagining what Cash Wheeler will do in a ladder match. He’s been burning through his bump card like a maniac ever since he got arrested. Wrestling like a man who’s accepted he might go to jail at some point, so no longer cares about holding anything back. Should be a spectacle. When was the last AEW ladder match? I can’t remember. It’s been long enough that this actually feels novel and special. Should be great, provided the whole thing isn’t undermined by CM Punk chants. Hoping The Bucks win. Cannot be arsed with another boring FTR reign.

You assume Okada will have an epic with Pac. You’ve got to justify that 4.5 million dollar salary that’s definitely real!

Adam Copeland vs. Malakai Black in a singles TNT Title match would have been more interesting, but it’s been obvious for the longest time that Black has no interest in stuff like that. If the lazy prick must burn through the rest of his AEW contract in Trios matches to save his body for Papa H, at least we get the bonkers team of Copeland, Briscoe and Kingston. Between those three teaming up here and Copeland doing a Mixed Tag with Willow, this is exactly the type of mad stuff I want to see Copeland doing. Crazy match graphics you never thought you’d see. Matches you can’t even imagine in your head. Great stuff. Quietly, Copeland is turning into one of their best signings.

I’ll be rooting for Willow. Adore her. Still worried they’re going to turn her heel to feud with Mercedes, which might end up winning next year’s Wrestling Observer's Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic.

Hopefully they don’t add too much else. Chances of Jericho somehow managing to get on the show and stinking it up? Rarified air of a man in desperate need of a massive fuck off.

Trios match to unite the ROH and AEW Six man titles? Ideally, this is the end of The Acclaimed. An act way past its sell by date. Give me a big singles push for Anthony Bowen. One of the best sellers in the whole industry. Caster can get in the bin.

I wonder if we’ll get a Moxley defence of the IWGP Title? Maybe against Takeshita? Seems to make sense given the ongoing feud between BCC and the Don Callis Family.

So yeah. Thoughts?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Trios match to unite the ROH and AEW Six man titles? Ideally, this is the end of The Acclaimed. An act way past its sell by date. Give me a big singles push for Anthony Bowen. One of the best sellers in the whole industry. Caster can get in the bin.

Never has someone’s stock fallen so low from such a high position as Caster. great on the mic, good looking, decent ring work, all gone pretty much. Off ye pop to NXT please. 

Phenomenal looking card. All killer no filler so far (yep, even Roddy v Kyle I’m looking forward to). When you look at Mania night 1 and 2 you’re scrambling to make a whole decent event with some of those matches, and this will be another PPV missed by the masses of wrestling fans because it’s the other fed. Insane. It could be an all timer, especially as you pointed out that gimmick matches like ladders are few and far between. I’m very much looking forward to it.

Will swerve win? I almost feel Page interfering is the way they will go and have Swerve finally win at double or nothing, which doesn’t give him a long run before the inevitable Ospreay/Swerve at All In. But I would love to see him win here, as much as Joe’s run has over delivered, it’s time for Swerve.

32 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay

I will be watching wrestling for sure. I can't think of another match that has had so much potential, and yes I'll be watching through my fingers, but my god this will be good.

Typically I'd be wary of any match booked because the promoter has already decided is going to be match of the year. They're usually matches that flatter to deceive, or as its colloquially called; 'The AJ Styles Paradox'

That said, it's Bryan Danielson and I'm not sure he's capable of disappointing me.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

She’s in Toni Storms corner

"And her opponent, accompanied by Krystle Carrington...."

The event should be very good. Its on youtube so I will watch it. The main reason is I think swerve will probably win the title and I think it will be a great moment and worth paying for.

Also Danielson v Osprey. I don't need to say anything else 

One thing they need to do though is not book that match second from last. The crowd will need a slow match to calm down abit.  And I will !!!

Edited by no user name

I know I’ll be in the minority on this, but I can’t believe they’ve gone straight to Danielson/Osprey for this rather than holding off for it and running it at Wembley.

I know the match is going to be everything that fans today want it to be (some will have given it the 6 star treatment in their heads already), but you’ve got two guys both claiming to be the best in the world, one of whom has said he’s going to be wrapping his career up by the end of the year, and you’ve got an upcoming show with thousands of tickets that still need shifting. Youre not going to get many chances to run this match with Danielson retiring, so why would you not have on your biggest show? Would this match shift all of those remaining Wembley tickets? Not likely, but it would certainly shift a good chunk. This isn’t one of those “where the story!?” posts, there doesn’t need to be one, the whole thing of “I’m the best”, “no you’re not bruv! I am bruv!” writes itself, and that is the biggest match they could have for Wembley.
The only match that could come close to it is Osprey v a returning Omega, but I’ve no idea how far off Kenny is from returning to action, or you have Osprey go after the World title. Now, an Osprey v Samoa Joe match could be quite fun, but I’m pretty certain they’re putting the belt on Swerve here, which frankly doesn’t do anything for me. Again, I know I’m probably in the minority with that

@WyattSheepMask. I actually think you have a good point. Say hypothetically they have osprey v okada at all in. A lot of people who go to see that would go anyway. Where as osprey v Danielson would probably attract more casual viewers. I suppose they could have a trilogy of matches. There is double or nothing and then forbidden door before all in. Osprey could take on someone from njpw at forbidden door so that is an option 

• Awards Moderator

I’ll happily have Danielson vs PAC at Wembley please. Ospreay and Swerve for the World title would have been on my card but I’d rather see Swerve and Hangman in a stadium setting, so Ospreay vs Okada will do. That’s a decent triple header.

Oh, and Jamie Hayter returning to beat Toni for the Women’s title please.

Anyway, I was up for paying for Dynasty as soon as they said Danielson vs Ospreay. Interest confirmed with PAC vs Okada. I’m also keen on seeing Joe vs Swerve, and Willow vs Julia. It’s a great card.

Ospreay vs PAC sounds a bit of a let down - mainly because I find PAC altogether dull as dishwater. He is great in many ways but I don't care about him enough to get invested in that match. I'd be very surprised if we don't get Okada at the top of the card though Danielson also needs to be heavily featured. 

I'd stick Ospreay vs Okada on as the main.

Danielson vs McGuinness if he is healthy enough.

Anyway nuff about All In... this looks a great show.