AEW Dynasty - April 21st

Supremo

Unfortunately I couldn't watch dynasty as I thought I would be able to order it today and I couldn't.

I did see the osprey v Danielson match though.  Wow. I've always thought the young  bucks v omega and hangman page was the best aew match I have seen but not anymore. I actually can't think of a match I have liked more than that ever. In my opinion osprey is the perfect wrestler. Athletic, great in the air, love his promos can get the crowd so exited. Amazing 

As for the injury it does seem it was a work. There is a video of osprey helping Danielson to walk in the back. That wouldn't happen if it was a real injury. Osprey is a face and it's a way to get him checked out of the Don Callis family for showing sympathy 

It's a shame AEW is running more PPVs on a Sunday than it once did, I'd love to have ordered this one, but finding the time to watch it was always going to be a problem. Sounds like it was a good show, Jericho aside. If Hook really is leaving, sucking the life and momentum out of him in a way that gives Tony Khan plausible deniability would be an act of evil genius from the guy; so in the unlikely chance that's what's happening here, well done, Tony. 

It's nice to see Willow win a title, although it's really strange to see Mercedes going after the secondary belt instead of Toni Storm. I know that not everyone enjoys Toni as champion, but I bloody love her. She's one of the best characters in wrestling, and I don't think the gimmick brings down the title in any way. That said, I've no idea who you have beat her, if Willow and Mercedes are wrapped up in other things. Maybe it's time to bring Athena back to the main roster, and have her target Storm. 

I did watch the six man tag, and I'm utterly perplexed as to why Billy Gunn is being made to look as strong as he is. This deserves almost as much derision as the Jericho stuff - it's utterly insane that he's being booked the way that he is. 

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Rewatched the match and it's just excellent and perfectly built. The mad thing is they probably have more to do when they go again.

I think a trilogy of matches would be good. With the decider at all in. But I really don't want either of they to get injured. So maybe wrap them both in cotton wool until all in 

Edited by no user name

• Paid Members

@RedRooster How did you get to watch Wrestlemania night 2 so quickly? Although I agree I would rather more PPV's on a Saturday I guess having a weekly TV show scheduled makes it more difficult to do so.

Only watched a few matches before I fell asleep and got woken by Ospreay's pop as he made his entrance. I am saving that match until later tonight. But I m so glad Willow won. Julia has come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months, but Willow has such great energy that I am glad she has won it.

Bucks/FTR I thought was really good. Loved the little call backs to previous matches (like when Cash was reckless diving into an empty table, similar to when he went for a 450 and missed which lost them the titles before). But I especially enjoyed the returning Jack Perry. The way security came rushing into the ring gave it a sense of realism you don't get in these angles normally. A small but important touch.

Swerve's Black Panther inspired entrance was great. Joe has been a great champion, and I have really enjoyed his reign, but Swerve has made his own ascension in the last 6-12 months and it's been great to see. I am really looking forward to what they do with him going forward. Only the 8th world champion in almost 5 years of exsistance. 

• Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

I’m off today so got to spend my morning watching.

I really liked PAC vs. Okada and could have happily watched them do another 20 minutes.

Happy Willow won, would have been fine with them having a not-so-short match. Mercedes is losing me each time she appears, hopefully by the time she has a match she’ll show why she’s a good signing.

I’m very ready for The Sabbatical Of Jericho.

Danielson vs. Ospreay was incredible. Impossible to follow that. I didn’t love the ending and that did take some of the shine off, but right up to the shaky neck injury it had all the stars from me. What a match.

Swerve is champ! Found it hard to focus on the match after Danielson-Ospreay but this is a good move and excited to see where they go next. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Did I say enough nice things about Danielson-Ospreay? It was excellent. Crowd great too

30 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@RedRooster How did you get to watch Wrestlemania night 2 so quickly? Although I agree I would rather more PPV's on a Saturday I guess having a weekly TV show scheduled makes it more difficult to do so.

I was - by pure coincidence, I hadn't planned this - on annual leave, so that made it pretty straightforward. I'd have been in the same position had I not been, though. If I wasn't a dad, I'd have been able to watch Dynasty later in the day - but childcare takes priority, as you can imagine! 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I was - by pure coincidence, I hadn't planned this - on annual leave, so that made it pretty straightforward. I'd have been in the same position had I not been, though. If I wasn't a dad, I'd have been able to watch Dynasty later in the day - but childcare takes priority, as you can imagine! 

"Here you go kid, watch this Ipad, Daddy's using the big screen today". I did my usual try and watch some live then watch the rest tomorrow, but fell asleep about 90 minutes in, so will catch up with the rest tonight/commute home if the wifi isn't awful. 

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

"Here you go kid, watch this Ipad, Daddy's using the big screen today". I did my usual try and watch some live then watch the rest tomorrow, but fell asleep about 90 minutes in, so will catch up with the rest tonight/commute home if the wifi isn't awful. 

She's 1, so later on today we'll be building things with Mega Blocks, reading stories and dancing to The Wiggles. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to do all of that without her stealing and throwing my glasses and/or phone. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

She's 1, so later on today we'll be building things with Mega Blocks, reading stories and dancing to The Wiggles. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to do all of that without her stealing and throwing my glasses and/or phone. 

Tbf that sounds delightful, miss those days

Lads, this is all very wholesome, but can we all discuss the way Danielson and Ospreay summoned goosebumps by backing into opposing corners towards the end of the match, realising they had nothing left in their respective lockers and just had to throw themselves at each other in a winner takes all, fuck-it-lets-go, finishing move battle to the death.

It was as close as a wrestling match has ever got to a blockbuster movie. The two main characters, drawing their lightsabres or whatever (I'm not strong on Star Wars, sorry) and just going into battle one last time either for glorious victory or noble death.

Amazing.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Bryan/Osperay was excellent, even with the slightly duff finish. Enjoyed Pac/Okada and the main event did what needed to be done to keep Strickland moving forward.

As not a regular watcher of AEW, why was Jericho in his auld ECW getup? he's AEW's version of Xpac in 2001 in any event anyway. Really should head off on an extended world Fozzy tour for a while at this stage.

Edited by DCW

37 minutes ago, DCW said:

As not a regular watcher of AEW, why was Jericho in his auld ECW getup?

I'm assuming that it's just because it was an FTW title match, a belt created in ECW.

He really needs to just go away for a while and stop with the lazy attempts at cheap pops. More importantly, he needs to be very careful with how he returns after a break or else it will achieve nothing.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DCW said:

As not a regular watcher of AEW, why was Jericho in his auld ECW getup? he's AEW's version of Xpac in 2001 in any event anyway. Really should head off on an extended world Fozzy tour for a while at this stage.

If only. As to Jericho’s attire, a few times during his run his reverted to a different gimmick (like the Painmaker), Lionheart Chris Jericho is one such gimmick and he’s be doing it for the last few months, even coming out to different music and Tron. Why? Because it’s Jericho.