AEW Dynasty - April 21st

Supremo

• Paid Members

Nah, you're just taking things far too seriously. So did you actually watch Dynasty and have any thoughts on it you'd like to share and discuss or are you just here to have a moan?

Anyway, I checked out Hook vs Jericho on the train this morning. It was a painful watch. Some of the work in it was pretty decent and Jericho was obviously working hard. He doesn't need to be taking mad bumps like Exploders off ring aprons through tables but obviously he wants to prove he belongs and prove is willing to bump big to get young talent over but it just isn't working. Hearing the crowd chant "Please retire"...there's not really any coming back from that in a match. Huge pop for Taz just getting out of his chair at the end, whatever else happens the roof is going to blow off the building when he (hopefully) chokes Jericho out.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Nah, you're just taking things far too seriously. So did you actually watch Dynasty and have any thoughts on it you'd like to share and discuss or are you just here to have a moan?

I didn't have a moan? I just called you out on a childish response and you've totally seen your arse over it.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Not sure what "seen my own arse" means but I'm totally fine with it though and was unaffected by your original post. I'd rather just keep to discussing Dynasty or AEW related things in here if that's ok? 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I finally saw Ospreay Danielson last night.it lived up to expectations. I don’t think we’ll see a better wrestling match this year. The post match antics were a bit much, but I guess it builds to the next stage of the story. Will also had another blinding press conference appearance. He’s really won me over the last 12 months.

@Tony Khan 

Please book Arch vs Goosh for All In. We'll all go.

Danielson vs Ospreay was the absolute bollocks.

Watched it with my 11yo who only really likes Logan Paul if I'm honest, but she loved it as well. 

I despised the ending though, but then I always hate that kind of gumf. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, RedRooster said:

The argument against her has generally come from critics/journalists; and it’s not so much against the character - it’s her as the champion. Jason Powell is particularly vocal about that, he likes the character, but not the character as champion.

I totally disagree, I think she’s tremendous and she’s probably the best heel champion AEW has had to date, with any title. 

Toni's go-home promo on Collision, which they played snippets of during the hype package for her vs. Rosa, was the best thing she's ever done - "you might be a fighter, but I'm a star". The best distillation of the Timeless character into actually building to a match, rather than just goofiness and gimmicks for their own sake. You don't get that if she's not champion, and there's no one in AEW as it currently stands who would be doing a better job as champion; I've seen criticisms that her matches can be over-reliant on schtick and gimmickry and interference, but that's been true of women's matches in AEW for a while, with or without Toni Storm involved.

Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay was fantastic, and still might not be the best Bryan Danielson match I've seen this month. What a run he's on. Over Wrestlemania weekend, while Bryan was in CMLL to face Blue Panther, there were idiots on Twitter talking about how he probably wished he were still with WWE and wrestling real big names, as if he's not having the run of his life, wrestling all his dream matches. Imagine what a "Daniel Bryan's final year as a full-time wrestler" story would look like in WWE compared to what he's been allowed to do in AEW. Probably whatever the 2024 equivalent is of wrestling Baron Corbin in your retirement match. And there's still the prospect of a match with Nigel McGuinness, he's still not had a triumphant return to Ring of Honor, and he's still not had my personal AEW dream match against Jeff Jarrett. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Over Wrestlemania weekend, while Bryan was in CMLL to face Blue Panther, there were idiots on Twitter talking about how he probably wished he were still with WWE and wrestling real big names, as if he's not having the run of his life, wrestling all his dream matches. Imagine what a "Daniel Bryan's final year as a full-time wrestler" story would look like in WWE compared to what he's been allowed to do in AEW. Probably whatever the 2024 equivalent is of wrestling Baron Corbin in your retirement match. And there's still the prospect of a match with Nigel McGuinness, he's still not had a triumphant return to Ring of Honor, and he's still not had my personal AEW dream match against Jeff Jarrett. 

I think that in the history books probably the best thing AEW will be remembered for is that it's a place where top guys can finish off their careers with one last hurrah, showing total creative freedom and a wide range of opponents from all over the world. Sting, Danielson, Christian and now Copeland who seems to be on the cusp of putting out some really special stuff. I'd like this to be a usual thing, guys winding down their careers in the most fun way possible in AEW.

Edited by LaGoosh

Out of interest did people on the forum hate jericho before the allegations were made? I wasn't on it then.

I would hate to loose hook to wwe. I don't know if he'd really fit into wwe either. He'd need a manager or something with him in wwe. Where as in aew it works fine. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay was fantastic, and still might not be the best Bryan Danielson match I've seen this month. What a run he's on. Over Wrestlemania weekend, while Bryan was in CMLL to face Blue Panther, there were idiots on Twitter talking about how he probably wished he were still with WWE and wrestling real big names, as if he's not having the run of his life, wrestling all his dream matches. Imagine what a "Daniel Bryan's final year as a full-time wrestler" story would look like in WWE compared to what he's been allowed to do in AEW. Probably whatever the 2024 equivalent is of wrestling Baron Corbin in your retirement match. And there's still the prospect of a match with Nigel McGuinness, he's still not had a triumphant return to Ring of Honor, and he's still not had my personal AEW dream match against Jeff Jarrett. 

I want a Danielson/Pac match so much. Ideally at Wembley.

• Paid Members

Double-post wanker, because different point.

But now it's all in the rear-view mirror and Jack Perry is back (to a huge reaction too), I think the decision to show the Punk video makes more sense in hindsight.

They needed to align Perry with the Bucks going forward, and give a reason for him to be against FTR. Either they need to create something for that, or they use the convenient real-life situation that's right there. But that's all behind-the-scenes bullshit, and dirt-sheet stuff, so they need to explain it into the reality of the show itself, otherwise they're just hinting at stuff. And it probably made sense to do this before the return rather than after, because everyone would have jumped the gun and been talking about the Punk stuff anyway.

In terms of efficiency, they actually got quite a lot out of it - so I can actually imagine that it was the plan to show for this reason, rather than just to get back at Punk. Like, story-telling-wise, it makes more sense than it appeared at first.

I don't love it, still. But I can see that it all makes more sense than I thought it did originally.

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Toni's go-home promo on Collision, which they played snippets of during the hype package for her vs. Rosa, was the best thing she's ever done - "you might be a fighter, but I'm a star". The best distillation of the Timeless character into actually building to a match, rather than just goofiness and gimmicks for their own sake. You don't get that if she's not champion, and there's no one in AEW as it currently stands who would be doing a better job as champion; I've seen criticisms that her matches can be over-reliant on schtick and gimmickry and interference, but that's been true of women's matches in AEW for a while, with or without Toni Storm involved.

I totally agree - I've heard Wade Keller have a negative skewing opinion on Storm as champion; and while generally those things don't matter, we already know that Tony Khan pays attention to what the wrestling media says; though to what degree is debatable. 

I don't subscribe to the idea of her being a comedy world champion at all. She's a deranged world champion, who can be funny - and she's managed to turn what could be a character that could have worn thin in short order into something sustainable. She's my favourite act in AEW right now, and I would go as far as to say she's one of the best champions they've ever had in any division. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I don't see how having one of the most entertaining, engaging and original characters on your show being the Champion can ever be a bad thing. There's a vast difference between a character being funny and a "comedy character". Toni is very funny but the difference is she's not actively trying to make the audience laugh. She plays it completely straight, which is what makes her funny and most importantly believable, and is still presented as a capable physical threat in the ring and that's what makes it work. She's quite often the best bit of any show she's on and the best acts should be in top positions with Championships. Simple as that.