Work day timewasters

RedRooster

What are your go to websites/games to kill time during the workday/commutes? (Aside from the UKFF, obviously)

After my daily routine of Wordle, NYT Connections and Spelling Bee is over; I'm finding myself with very little to do while I'm killing time during a lunchbreak or in between meetings. Sporcle can be good fun too, but it doesn't give me the same satisfaction as the other three; it's probably weird, but there's something to be said about the ability to 'complete' something for the day - which the New York Times games obviously allow for. 

• Paid Members

Working from home I have my Switch propped up on my desk or put the baseball/speedruns/longplays on the telly in the background.

In the office I play Marvel Snap and the break room has a Midway Arcade machine so a few quick goes of Mortal Kombat 3 or Paperboy.

• Paid Members

Here has been one of my go-tos for the last 18 years (Christ). Only at home/work though as it's not as easy to read on a phone. Apart from the previously-mentioned Wordle, I also pass the time with Duolingo to feel like I'm being productive in improving my Italian/remembering my Spanish. Apart from those, my daily reading includes Pie & Bovril (Scottish football forum), BBC News and X. I also recently discovered Reddit at least 10 years after everyone else and I've been really enjoying that. Little forums about pretty much every topic/interest you can imagine! Lovely!

• Awards Moderator
Just now, Arch Stanton said:

I waste far too much time reading this place during my working day!! 

Same. It’s worrying how muscle memory works as I can open a new tab with the intention to search or go to a specific site, but without realising I just type uk in the address bar, hit enter and I’m here. Must happen a few times a day and it’s been going on for years.

On-topic, it’s Sporcle, Wikipedia, Zombie Cricket and Crystal Palace forums to depress myself further.

I dread to think how many times I visit this place and refresh. And not even accidentally.

If I get a chance, I do like to start the day reading the House Show thread.

Also a Wordle player when I remember, and I dip into RollerCoaster Tycoon Touch now and again as I like a simple easy game that I don't have to think about too much, especially first thing in the morning.

Other than that I'm absolutely awful at taking breaks during the day and usually work through lunchbreaks.

I suppose I like playing my SteamDeck and watching some random stuff on my tablet but that's usually on my commute to London. And that's if I haven't fallen asleep because the 5am starts are a killer. Glad it's only 2 days a week now. Fuck knows how I did it full time.

I once worked two years at a place that had limited most internet sites, even news sites, so it was Wikipedia or fuck all. 

My longest job restricted access based on your need for access. It created a right us and them between warehouse and office, even between offices. My role was transport coordinator so when the team tasked with deciding who could have the internet, we thought we’d be sound because we could blag about traffic updates. 

I was on the other shift when they came round so it fell to  my opposite number who was known for his, directness shall we say, to plead the case. He said “Yeah traffic reports and Keith is the union rep so he needs to stay in touch but mainly on the late shift it’s needed to check the football scores, especially the champions league” I think they liked his honesty because we kept our internet!

Biggest game changer in that job was when someone had an installable version of Champ 01/02 that did the rounds. Some managers thought there was a temp called Taribo who was ace as loads of people were saying “Make sure you get Taribo on a free”

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I once worked two years at a place that had limited most internet sites, even news sites, so it was Wikipedia or fuck all. 

My longest job restricted access based on your need for access. It created a right us and them between warehouse and office, even between offices. My role was transport coordinator so when the team tasked with deciding who could have the internet, we thought we’d be sound because we could blag about traffic updates. 

I was on the other shift when they came round so it fell to  my opposite number who was known for his, directness shall we say, to plead the case. He said “Yeah traffic reports and Baz is the union rep so he needs to stay in touch but mainly on the late shift it’s needed to check the football scores, especially the champions league” I think they liked his honesty because we kept our internet!

Biggest game changer in that job was when someone had an installable version of Champ 01/02 that did the rounds. Some managers thought there was a temp called Taribo who was ace as loads of people were saying “Make sure you get Taribo on a free”

Ha that just reminded me of when I worked in an office for a bank and a lad I sat next to got a version of Pac Man running in Excel to get around our very strict internet blockers.

On a floor-wide weekly boring conference call with the CEO that was named The BobCast and usually about where he’d been on his bike, my mate loaded up Pac Man but forgot to mute his computer so all the entire floor heard were the first few seconds of the Pac Man jingle as loud as you like. He went white as a ghost and though he managed somehow to get away with it none of us ever saw that Excel Pac Man again.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, FLips said:

Ha that just reminded me of when I worked in an office for a bank and a lad I sat next to got a version of Pac Man running in Excel to get around our very strict internet blockers.

On a floor-wide weekly boring conference call with the CEO that was named The BobCast and usually about where he’d been on his bike, my mate loaded up Pac Man but forgot to mute his computer so all the entire floor heard were the first few seconds of the Pac Man jingle as loud as you like. He went white as a ghost and though he managed somehow to get away with it none of us ever saw that Excel Pac Man again.

I accidentally forgot to put myself on mute yesterday and was playing guitar during a meeting 🤦

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The Doctor Who ‘Thirteen’ game. Four years and I still can’t get past Tennant.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/play/thirteen 

Not a big enough Dr Who fan to know who it is but I got to the one after Paul McGann that looks like old Ben Kenobi. Score of 6332. Not having more than that one go though or I’ll be on it all night!

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, FLips said:

On my work computer I've got an Excel version of Pac-Man too, as well as a golf game and even an Excel version of Sonic!! When I was much younger and dumber I used to sit at work playing them on my monitor during the working day, naively thinking I was being inconspicuous about it.