The hot sauce thread

RedRooster

Some sauces I've tried over the last while...

Tingly Ted's Tingly/Xtra Tingly Hot Sauce

il_570xN.5120286396_f31a.jpg

It's very appropriate that a hot sauce made by Ed Sheeran would be incredibly bland. The heat barely registers in the Xtra Tingly version, and you have to respect Ed for making a sauce so fitting to what he offers the music world. That can't have been easy. It's basically tomato ketchup with a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of heat to it - I can't emphasise the word 'tiny' enough; I struggled to detect it. To be fair, it actually made solid hot wings. I wouldn't necessarily buy it again, but if you do give it a go, make wings with it. 

Grace's hot pepper sauce

640x640.jpg

I got this as a substitution in a Sainsbury's shop, instead of Encona sauce, which I'd decided to try after @Loki's endorsement of the stuff. This is more of a hot vinegar than it is a hot sauce but...I kinda liked it. It's really nice on a sandwich and it adds a nice kick and zing to your food. It's not your typical hot sauce, but it's decent. 

Hellfire Zombie Snot hot sauce

41QTamTfP8L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I really like the Hellfire Roaster Reaper sauce, which encouraged me to give this one a go, in spite of its stupidly off-putting name. It's fantastic. It has a nice kick to it, a nice limey zing - it's a ramped up salsa verde sauce, basically. In spite of that, I still find the name incredibly off-putting. I know it's a delicious sauce, but what it's called makes me feel a bit sick. Food manufacturers, don't name your products after bodily fluids. 

Sauce Shop Buffalo Hot Sauce

A1FC96A7-2D6B-4802-93A4-BA85CC514D7D?format=2500w

This is fantastic. It's great as a dip, it's great to make hot wings with (as advertised on the bottle...) - it's really fucking good. I was really surprised that a sauce you can pick up in your local supermarket for a relatively low price could be this tasty. That's hot sauce snobbery on my part, admittedly - but I do often find that mass-produced sauces just aren't up to the standard of the small batch stuff. This absolutely is, it blew me away. Loved it. 

It was my birthday recently and my partner bought me some sauces and rubs from Carringtons, they’re based in Kent and wondered if anyone has heard of them or had any of their products before?

Also, a keffer sent me a birthday gift. I won’t say who it was, I’ll just show you the box it came in. 

IMG_0532

• Paid Members

I got a really nice habanero sauce from Morrison's the other week for about £1.65 It was pretty low in sugar as well. I used it mostly as a ketchup, but also stuck half a bottle into some chilli that I was reheating and it gave it a really nice warmth. 

289474011_0_1280x1280.jpg

Firstly, I really like this recipe for hot wings - I've tried a few, and this is the one that has worked best for me. 

Now...some new sauces that I've tried: 

Marie Sharp's Original Garlic hot sauce

marie-sharps-original-garlic-hot-sauce.jpg

Firstly, Marie Sharp sauce has a genuinely interesting story behind it. The sauce itself - garlic hot sauce isn't something I'd have bought had I not tried it first; and the fact I bought after trying should tell you that I liked it. But it doesn't tell you how much I liked it. This is a versatile sauce with a nice kick to it, it's not overly garlicky and it's packed with flavour. It makes great wings, it's great on a sandwich, it really punches up a salad - it's lovely, and I highly recommend it. 

Cajohn's Bourbon-infused chipotle habanero hot sauce

51sw7GF1JXL.jpg

Truth be told, this one isn't for me. I don't particularly like the taste of bourbon, and it's definitely there. I used it as a dip and for wings, neither of which I liked. However, my friends couldn't get enough of the wings and said they were the tastiest hot wings they'd had. I let one of them take the bottle home. So my dislike of it is a subjective thing, and if you like the idea of this sauce, I reckon you'd enjoy this. 

Heartbeat Dill Pickle Serrano hot sauce

store_carmera_20211119_162527_685_1024x1024.jpg?v=1637413140

I try a lot of hot sauces - and ingredients in general - as I cook for friends and family frequently. They're the beneficiaries of this, if I don't like it, they typically get the ingredient I don't like. Which hopefully explains why I bought this in spite of hating the taste of dill. I kind of hoped I would taste the pickle more, but nope, this is a dill hot sauce. It has a mild kick, and a mild dill flavour which is enough to put me off. I can't imagine it would make good wings, but I used it on sandwiches and that seemed to go down well. I also gave this sauce away. Dill can go fuck itself. 

Crazy bastard sauce - Scotch bonnet and Caribbean spices

CBS_Scotch-Bonnet-Caribbean-600x600.jpg

I really hate sauces with swear words in the title. I'm as sweary as anyone on this board, but I don't want my family or daughter to know that (it's a fucking secret, right?) so I don't want something like this in my fridge. However, I got this sauce as part of a hot sauce lucky dip at a stall in a farmer's market. Short-dated items, wrapped up so you don't know what you're getting. And it's delicious, especially when used for hot wings. I wouldn't buy it again because of the name, though I'd be tempted because of the flavour. 

• 3 weeks later...

Some new sauces that I've tried, via SomeLikeItHot.shop (a website I was really impressed with - the customer service was top notch, and the selection of sauces is incredible, with a 10% discount for first time orders):

Puckerbutt Sauces - Unique Garlique 

PB-22.jpg

A sauce from Ed Currie - who @Gus Mears posted a video of on page 2. I had no idea when I bought this that I was buying sauce number 9 in a Hot Ones line-up (the sauce that comes after Da Bomb) - and needless to say, it's pretty fucking hot. However, it tastes great. A little bit of this with some cheese really hits the spot, and it makes fantastic hot wings - the right wings recipe really mellows out the heat and lets the flavour of the sauce shine. This is definitely hot - at the upper level of hot - but if you think you can handle that, I'd definitely recommend this. It's really nice. 

Melinda's Spicy Garlic and Parmesan

3189932420.png?v=1695313101&width=1024

This isn't spicy at all, but it's really nice. It makes good wings, and it's nice as a dip - whether you use it as a substitute for ketchup, alongside nachos or on a sandwich. It's packed with flavour, and well worth a try. 

Angry Goat Pepper Company - Fat Alli hot sauce

angry-goat-fat-alli-hot-sauce-medium-pepper-co-chilly-chiles-211_1280x.jpg?v=1698264748

It describes itself as a citrusy twist on a sriracha style sauce, and that's probably accurate. Given that it describes itself as being of a medium heat, it's actually pretty hot - but that's what I'm looking for in a hot sauce, and I love the flavour. It's quite runny, and while it makes good wings, the bottle doesn't last long because of its consistency. It's definitely worth a try, but it's easy to run through this one fast. 

Adoboloco - Island Wings

IslandWings-1up-Front-scaled.jpg

Another really nice sauce. It makes great wings, but it's also a really tasty dip. It's fruity and packed with flavour. There's not much heat to it, but it tastes to good that this doesn't matter. 

Sauce Shop Honey Chipotle

640x640.jpg

I picked this up in Sainsbury's, not Some Like It Hot, as I really enjoy their Buffalo Wings sauce. This, on the other hand, wasn't for me. I didn't like the taste at all. I'm starting to realise that I don't really like honey in a hot sauce, so maybe it's a 'me thing', and you'll enjoy this. 

Thanks to this thread and @Chest Rockwell I've bought some Frank's Jalapeño and loved it.  The green chilli flavour is quite different to their normal red chilli sauce.

I also agree @RedRooster that the sauces that mix honey into it don't work for me.  If you make your own marinade out of chillis and honey that can be lovely though, so I guess it comes down to your taste preference on sweetness and those shop sauces are too sickly for me.

Does anyone have a really good tamarind type hot sauce to recommend?  Outside of thai food I don't often have that flavour but it's lovely and I could see myself using a dipping sauce.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Loki said:

Does anyone have a really good tamarind type hot sauce to recommend?  Outside of thai food I don't often have that flavour but it's lovely and I could see myself using a dipping sauce.

Not a tamarind sauce, but I discovered this a couple of years ago - was recommended to me by a Filipina friend who said it's normally used for dipping:

Suka_Pinakurat_Natural_Coconut_Vinegar_2

• Moderators

Discovered this stuff recently. It's amazing, and putting it on everything and i need to buy a bigger bottle next time.

image.thumb.png.df5a10709cfc5ee210838d5e27ea0af2.png

Not very spicy, which is great as it means you can use it liberally. It has a really lovely crispy crunchy texture that no other chilli oil I've had has. Highly recommended.

44 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Discovered this stuff recently. It's amazing, and putting it on everything and i need to buy a bigger bottle next time.

Not very spicy, which is great as it means you can use it liberally. It has a really lovely crispy crunchy texture that no other chilli oil I've had has. Highly recommended.

I have bought my ex roughly 10x of these in the last year. She must be putting it on toast or something.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I'm not one to be put off by names, but the name "Puckerbutt" is really unappealing.

I definitely am one of those people - the name isn't particularly prominent on the packaging, but yeah, it's pretty rank. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I can legit eat this straight out the jar with a spoon and get theough far too much of it. lovely stuff.