The hot sauce thread

RedRooster

On the suggestion of @Keith Houchen - a thread for those of us who enjoy hot sauce! 

It's something I've really got into recently, and I've shared some of my favourites (and some that I didn't like) in the snack thread. I'm always looking out for new recommendations, though. However, to start things off - here are a few that I would absolutely recommend you buy, and links to where you can buy them. 

Leithal Hot Sauce - 6-pack available for £28 here

Untitleddesign.png?v=1669201641&width=1445

For me, these are the best hot sauces on the market - I actually recommend pretty much all of them. If you're going to buy a single bottle, which you can do, Ocean Terminator, Swanny Bomb and Lothiathan are my personal favourites, in that order. Ocean Terminator is a really nice, fruity sauce; and the Swanny Bomb is a fantastic cherry cola barbecue flavour. It works really well. Lothiathan is Thai inspired, and has good heat to it. It also makes great hot wings. Game Over is my least favourite - while it is very hot, that's not the issue for me - the taste of the chillis used really comes through; giving it a kind of smoky flavour. That's not something I like personally. I use it to add a bit of a kick to curries and other spicy dishes. 

Devil's Blend - Roasted Reaper - available for £4.50 at Everything Chilli here

DevilsRoastedReaperFront_f41e064c-e002-4f0f-8f05-f4932e664d92_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1693783657

This has slowly become my favourite hot sauce. It's absolutely fantastic on a chicken sandwich or tacos, and it's really versatile. It has a hint of lime to the taste, and a nice burn that isn't overpowering in any way. Although it uses Carolina Reapers, it uses them while they are young - so they're not quite as hellish as they become. I'd definitely recommend this one, particularly when you can pick it up at a discounted rate at Everything Chilli right now. 

Harry's Brown Sauce - available for £4 at Mr Vikki's here

IMG_20220824_153615-1-scaled.jpg 

I mentioned this in the snack thread - it's a spicy brown sauce, and it's absolutely heavenly. It's only a slight spicy kick, but it lifts the brown sauce to another level. This is, in my opinion, the best brown sauce you can buy. It's sensationally good. 

Allan's Garlic, chilli & Apple Chilli Sauce - available for £3.95 here

garlic-chilli-apple-sauce.jpg

This was, weirdly, the first hot sauce I ever tried; many years back. The combination of garlic and apple sounds bizarre, but it works really well. You can also get it as a jam, and in either form, it works really well as part of a cheese place. It's not spicy at all, but the flavours are great. 

Marie Sharp's Pure Mango Habanero Pepper Sauce - £5.99 via Amazon

51mFO0uD4oL.jpg

A late edit here to add this gem. It has a slightly meaty taste to it, which I didn't expect when I bought it. I actually didn't like it much at first, but it really grew on me. It's great as a condiment, or on sandwiches. A word of caution on the price - I picked this up at Lupe Pintos in Glasgow, and I'm fairly sure it was much cheaper than what Amazon are selling it for here. It might be worth shopping around, but I don't want to link to a seller that I've not personally used myself. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

Not sure if this counts as hot sauce but it was spicy enough for us!

IMG_8724.thumb.jpeg.0ab77bdd8130be06f9d6da815b93bc91.jpeg
Got some of this from our local eco weigh shop and it’s bloody tasty. A great dipping sauce, lovely drizzled on ramen or other things you’d maybe use sweet chili for. If you want heat but are a bit of a fanny like us it’s ideal.

Excellent stuff!

I am taking my first steps into the hot sauce world, currently only having ones you find in supermarkets like Cholula and Franks. The mother in law got me a sampler pack for Christmas with a few different flavours so will keep tabs on this thread for further recommendations!

Think I’ll grow a beard and wear USA ties when I know a bit more and proclaim myself the king. 

3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Not sure if this counts as hot sauce but it was spicy enough for us!

IMG_8724.thumb.jpeg.0ab77bdd8130be06f9d6da815b93bc91.jpeg
Got some of this from our local eco weigh shop and it’s bloody tasty. A great dipping sauce, lovely drizzled on ramen or other things you’d maybe use sweet chili for. If you want heat but are a bit of a fanny like us it’s ideal.

They sell this in my local Sainsbury's, but I've never actually tried it - I'll pick some up when I'm doing my shopping later, cheers @FelatioLips!

• Moderators

image.png.d3a157b031815adc8a459c30dc394985.png

This is probably the one I use most. It's really fruity with a good kick, but on the right side of being too sugary / jammy (really can't abide stuff like sweet chilli).

image.thumb.png.d5e4a9b553a3acae92ecccaa9d325216.png

This is my choice for something milder, but more tangy.

Those are the two that come to mind first.

Cba to retype it, so here we go.

On 11/21/2023 at 6:08 PM, SuperBacon said:

Sure I've posted these before but these two are my favourite. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

A dollop of the scotch bonnet one gets added to most dishes these days and is lovely in a chilli or when I do spiced mince and potatoes.

The salsa one is a bit evil but on some cheese and crackers? Wonderful.

Also has a hilarious warning. 

spacer.png

Jokes on them. I'm not a child.

On 12/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, SuperBacon said:

This is one of the hottest things I've ever eaten and I'm convinced my ex bought it for me because she hates me.

spacer.png

They say put a put in a curry (yes this would be enjoyable) or "enjoy as a condiment" Really??? 

I had the tiniest bit on a cracker and was in pain all night, had to get up for a stomach ache induced poo at 4am as I was still in pain and my arse is now on fire after another morning one. I also ate 4 yoghurts straight after the cracker and that barely helped.

This has 5 chill symbols on the back and unlike Ned Flanders, they ain't lying.

Company is based in Portsmouth and only something this evil could come from there. 10/10 obviously. 

And a fun read for fellow noodle lovers here: https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2023/dec/28/how-instant-noodles-took-over-the-world-salt

That Naga one really isn't a sauce, but I need to warn as many people as possible about it.

The Sauce Shop’s Siracha Chilli sauce is proper kebab shop chilli ketchup, it’s perfect.  All of their sauces are good really.

My old faithful is Franks Original RedHot.  It’s basically a Tabasco but with more flavour.  I add it to everything instead of pepper.

A lot of the ones you find at Chilli festivals are just hot in goo.  Heat on its own isn’t that interesting.  If you want that challenge, get Mr Vikki’s East India Chilli Pickle 🌶️🥵

Just now, Loki said:

A lot of the ones you find at Chilli festivals are just hot in goo.  Heat on its own isn’t that interesting.

Completely agree, which is why something like the chilli vodka Pat mentioned the other day is just such an utter waste of time. No one enjoys something like that, or if they do, they're a filthy liar!

• Paid Members

I have a bottle of this at home. If anyone wants to give it a go then be warned, one little dab will absolutely blow your head off. 

There's another one I get sometimes called Psycho Juice, which is a Carolina Reaper sauce. I find this is more manageable though still very hot.

Be interesting to see what else comes up in here.

s-l1600.jpg

Talking of heat for the sake of heat, Hot Ones had me curious about this one...

71ce8PMOhaL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

It's awful. It's got a lower Scoville rating than loads of other sauces that I've tried, but it's far, far hotter. A tiny bit of this has quite some bite to it. The worst part is that it tastes like crap - it's got an aftertaste that is quite chemically, and that was just as unpleasant as the explosive heat. It didn't actually cost me much, but even if it did, I binned the bottle pretty quickly. I tried making hot wings with it, and that amps up the heat even more. And fuck me, it was just a waste of food (I suspected it would be, which is why I only used it on one wing) - they taste absolutely horrible. Buy it if you're curious I suppose, but I would not recommend it even if you are. 

That sounds like every "da hottest" sauce I ever tried at a festival @RedRooster.   The names are amusing, usually Insanity or the infamous "Blow Your Cock Off" sauce.

By far the best I ever tried though was one pulled from under the counter after I'd shrugged off their "hottest".  It was just a little black bottle with a white label that just said "Regret".

And indeed I did, particularly as the queue for the ice-cream took 5 minutes, and I got some odd stares for having my tongue hanging out and salivating the whole time, whilst surrounded by children.

• Paid Members

Chest knows. Scotch bonnets are the best. That's my go to as well.

20240118_141406.thumb.jpg.84dfd8c6d19caebcae56355a34c351af.jpg

Bought a bottle of the above on holiday and loving it on wings. This doesn't make it sound appealing, bit it's got this leathery taste to it that gives it great depth.

I wish hot hot sauce didn't do in my guts so much. Like when I order a vindaloo, I really have to plan my schedule around 2 hours on the bog the next day.

Edited by Gus Mears

@Chest Rockwell The Walkerswood Scotch Bonnet sounds like I must try it - is it one you can find in general supermarkets?  Agree that Scotch Bonnet has a nice fruity flavour, I always try and grow them but not had much luck so far.