The hot sauce thread

RedRooster

• Paid Members

In a victory for nominative determinism, Epicurious have an ongoing series with Ed Currie, the bloke who birthed the X Ghost chilli and others which make up the world's hottest sauces. Good videos even if I don't really care for the naga chilli sauces etc.

There's something about him that's proper pro wrestling too. Can easily imagine him not paying for public liability insurance and talking about when Andre tried his new pepper sauce and died two weeks later.

Edited by Gus Mears

15 minutes ago, Loki said:

@Chest Rockwell The Walkerswood Scotch Bonnet sounds like I must try it - is it one you can find in general supermarkets?  Agree that Scotch Bonnet has a nice fruity flavour, I always try and grow them but not had much luck so far.

I got it from 

https://www.souschef.co.uk/

https://www.souschef.co.uk/products/jamaican-scotch-bonnet-pepper-sauce

Edited by SuperBacon
Embed

@Keith Houchen If you want to try something hot but really tasty as a sauce to put on the side, get a bottle of Encona Original Hot Pepper Sauce.  It's genuinely fantastic, it's got texture and a fruity flavour and is hot but not in a way that hits the stomach too much.  It's a blend of scotch bonnet and habaneros, and it's in every supermarket.

In all honesty it's my favourite, can't believe I forgot about it earlier.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

In a victory for nominative determinism, Epicurious have an ongoing series with Ed Currie, the bloke who birthed the X Ghost chilli and others which make up the world's hottest sauces. Good videos even if I don't really care for the naga chilli sauces etc.

There's something about him that's proper pro wrestling too. Can easily imagine him not paying for public liability insurance and talking about when Andre tried his new pepper sauce and died two weeks later.

We watched BBQ Showdown on Netflix and this guy was on there and the knowing laugh he gave out when one of the contestants put a million ghost peppers into their hot sauce for the judge had me giggling like a nutter.

He was good fun on Hot Ones as well showing off the peppers he grows and creates.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Loki said:

@Keith Houchen If you want to try something hot but really tasty as a sauce to put on the side, get a bottle of Encona Original Hot Pepper Sauce.  It's genuinely fantastic, it's got texture and a fruity flavour and is hot but not in a way that hits the stomach too much.  It's a blend of scotch bonnet and habaneros, and it's in every supermarket.

Encona is delicious, was always my favorite.

When I was at uni, I had a couple of run ins with this one

image.png.438fbab25ba8155e2f7439ffe9cf6e41.png

A lad spent his whole month's worth of money in the first ten days of the month, and went cap in hand to all of us to help him out. We did, we all put in £10 each if he would eat a curry cooked by a bengali lad (Bob) from our halls who was working part time at a local restaurant. A dog food curry, with several tsps of Dave's sauce. He didn't even like korma, he said it was too hot for him, but hats off, he put away the whole curry. 

Later, Bob tipped the rest of the sauce into a single curry for himself and ate it without flinching.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Loki said:

@Chest Rockwell The Walkerswood Scotch Bonnet sounds like I must try it - is it one you can find in general supermarkets?  Agree that Scotch Bonnet has a nice fruity flavour, I always try and grow them but not had much luck so far.

They sell it in a local shop here, but I feel like I have also seen it in the 'ethnic food aisle' in the supermarket.. 

15 minutes ago, Loki said:

Yeah I’ve had that before but not in ages, so I think I’ll pick up a bottle on my next shop!

• Paid Members

When the family over the road moved in we went to say hello and soon became friends.

He's from Bangladesh and said he has a scale on which he rates hot sauces that goes from “Newb” to “God-like”. He then produced this bastard and a spoon, telling me how this is the hottest sauce he’s ever had sent from his family back home.

It’s the closest thing I’ve found to being too hot for me, but it’s bloody delicious. You don’t need much, mind, so a jar will last me ages. I keep craving it, and then soon remembering how much it can hurt sometimes. A cruel mistress.

IMG_1455.thumb.jpeg.8676cddad271138c0f1c8e302e8d17e7.jpeg

• Paid Members

I've always adored Dunn Rivers hot sauce. Usually available down the world food aisle at Tesco for about 70p. There's undoubtedly stuff that's better quality but I've been buying it for the best part of 15 years and it's right on the money for me in terms of heat. The nostalgia plays a role as well though.

1b27b521-a8f6-42e5-a8b7-edbd6dc12aa5.jpg.78e45c41535e2f25f3247faef9d84725.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

That looks boss - green chilli sauces seem really popular at Mexican restaurants, they’re always nice.

Deffo trying that @Dead Mike I’ll get the butler to pick some up when he’s in Aldi.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

We were in Tennessee a few months ago, and went to Gatlinburg. Weren't able to stay that long in the town, my mum was having trouble walking far, so I didn't get to do more than walk by this amazing looking place.

image.thumb.jpeg.a13ee6b1342dec6e977e220d9be7a26c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dfbdc0321640c2fb42add5be82f56e6f.jpeg

Also included, a gratuitous photo of my workshop.

A food and music road trip through the Southern states in on my bucket list @Sergio Mendacious, I love southern cooking and also fancy trying some places like that.  Plus rye whiskey and bourbon also.