Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

George Baldock, who only left Sheffield United this May. No age at all.

• Paid Members

Saw that last night before bed. Absolutely awful, just 31. Good player who worked his way up the leagues and became an international with Greece. No idea what has happened but it doesn't sound good. RIP George.

• Paid Members

• Paid Members

Absolutely gutted by this one. A bit of a hero to me and a better public speaker you will never meet. The man got an entire new generation in Scotland interested and invested in politics and did so much to advance the cause of Scottish indepedence. Sad to see him away before his dream of a free Scotland was realised. I'll raise a wee dram to him tonight. 

• Paid Members

It's really tragic, but unfortunately having read the recent reports of his ex seeking legal action over his behaviour and what can be picked up from social media he's seemed not well or in control of his life for a while. He was quite open about substance abuse during his time in 1D as well, it's a shame he couldn't get the help he's needed.

The unverified photos and reports that have come out of his hotel room and belongings smashed up alongside the police reports of an individual under the influence of drink or drugs really does make this seem like a horrible accident for someone who was struggling under the spotlight recently.

It's a real shame that it's yet another young person who has been exposed to fame at an early age and then slowly left to fend for themselves when their star has waigned. I think having that constant support of the other group members and management around him to them him being somewhat ostracised from it all hasn't helped in any way in recent years and by all accounts he didn't seem to be close to any of the band compared to the others these days.

I really do hope his family and his son get the support they need after all of this.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I don’t know much about the situation, but he was in Argentina visiting a bandmate so I don’t think this is correct. 

By the sounds he was on holiday and it was a coincidence that Niall was playing too.

There's videos from the show of him in the crowd making a bit of a tit of himself and looking for attention (which people now think was him looking for help in a way) but the photo of them together after at least looks like they managed to talk and sort some things out.

Edited by I Bent My Wookie

Not going to speculate on anything about his circumstances or how he felt or anything like that because what's the point. But many online are forgetting he was a human being, instead rushing to post their memes and jokes, and that's the shit side of fame. That many assume you're giving yourself over completely, like you belong to everyone now. But he was still a son and a friend and a father and whatever else. He was still human. He wasn't just a product. So to then be laughing about his death is just such a cunty thing to do, even if he was having problems or whatever else.

• Members

When my sister died last year, it was obviously upsetting, but because she died in public, there were quite a few newspaper articles, blogs, local message boards that speculated on it, how she died, her etc and it was horrific, as most of it was complete bollocks. 

I spent days emailing editors, replying on these boards, and it felt really futile and this was localised to a small part of SW London so I can't even imagine how it feels when millions of people do it, and I've absolutely been guilty of it in the past.

Sorry, rant over.