Croaking it 2024

Gus Mears

It's one of the few viral videos I never got bored of. When I'm driving away from my brother's house, I still shout "Ta ta, farewell!" out of the car window at him.

Am I right in saying that the police thought they were solving the crime of the century when they arrested him? He just absolutely took the bull by the horns and made the most of the moment. A proper 'Queen At Live Aid" level of awareness. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Panhead said:

It's one of the few viral videos I never got bored of. When I'm driving away from my brother's house, I still shout "Ta ta, farewell!" out of the car window at him.

Am I right in saying that the police thought they were solving the crime of the century when they arrested him? He just absolutely took the bull by the horns and made the most of the moment. A proper 'Queen At Live Aid" level of awareness. 

An interview here with the great man himself from just last month:

A video that I'll always put on if ever I'm feeling a bit low and I need to cheer up a bit. There's not a single wasted line in the whole thing and it's infinitely quotable. "I'm under a what?!" is tragically underrated. Whoever is first to leave our office still says "Ta ta and farewell" on their way out.

I first showed it my sons a few years ago while we were sat in the car waiting for my Mrs and our daughter to come out of a shop. They were getting restless so I just started showing them silly videos. They found this one so hilarious one of them named the pet lizard he got shortly after Succulent Chinese Neil or just Neil for short so the big man's memory lives on in our house.

• Paid Members

one of my proudest moments in a brief wrestling commentary career was getting to use the phrase "I see you know your Judo well!". 

It's just a phenomenal video, you couldn't script something that good. Not a wasted line in it.

• Paid Members

An absolute staple in Chez JB.  My daughter demanded a succulent Chinese meal for her birthday last month and her card was an illustrated "Get your hands off my presents..."

The realest one there ever was.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Having watched it this morning for the first time in forever, the slamming shut of the car door twice before they try to stick him in set me off. Not sure I'd noticed that before. What a boss.

Gooooood one.

Edited by Wretch

• Paid Members

Like everyone else, I think my favourite line of that video changes every time I watch it. This time it was “this is the bloke who got me on the penis PEOPPPLLEE”. 

RIP to a legend. 

Gena Rowlands, best known for appearing in the films of her husband John Cassavetes during the 1970s and early 80s, at 94. 

Their influence on independent cinema cannot be overstated and many of the films they made together were simply sublime, chief among them A Woman Under the Influence. I love Ellen Burstyn and her performance in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (which is one of my favourite films btw), but you wouldn't begrudge Rowlands if she had won the Academy Award that year. Her performance in A Woman Under the Influence was incredible and quite unlike anything I've seen in a film before or since. A heart-breaking tour de force. 

Also worth watching (or re-watching as the case may be) are Opening Night and Gloria. 

RIP. 

I remember being floored watching A Woman Under the Influence. It was an incredibly harsh and well acted movie and performance, almost documentary like. A good age to hit, really incredible actor.