• Paid Members

It was a bad night for Mr Wardlow. Komander misjudged the Phoenix Splash and landed on Wardlow’s throat / face which looked absolute horrible. And if that wasn’t enough it looks like he tweaked his knee on the powerbomb at the end

I hope he’s not injured, that’s the last thing he needs. And Undisputed Kingdom will suck even more without him

• Paid Members

Dynamite 31/01

Strong opener with Mox and Jeff Hardy. Jeff has put in quite a shift over his past few matches. Certainly a much better use of him than terrible filler tag matches; he certainly hasn't just been going through the motions in these and I think it's smart to use his star value and name value to give some wins to your key guys. Also presumably this salty Jeff angle is going somewhere. 

CMLL beatdown was fine. It's more interesting to integrate them like this than have them do inconsequential exhibition matches, so I'm all for it.

Loved Hangman vs Toa. Been preaching the good word of Toa Liona for a while now and was very chuffed to see he didn't look exposed at all in this setting. He played a great monster and wrestled a good methodical heel pace, punctuated with his signature explosive bursts of intensity and violence. Hangman bumped like a champ for him and the big lad busted out some stuff I can't recall seeing him do before, like the big moonsault off the apron. I appreciate AEW emphasising that he hadn't been pinned or submitted before. It is typically Kaun who gets pinned when Gates of Agony lose, but I must admit I hadn't noticed that it's *never* Toa. I hope they use him in some more big singles matches against smaller babyfaces. They protected him with the finish, so I'm hoping there are more of these on the cards. 

Mr. Wardlow vs Komander was fine. Komander is a solid underdog babyface. I like that Wardlow thing where he props them on the turnbuckle then lets them flop onto his knee. I hope Adam will teach Wardlow how to read so he can understand the rankings. 

Bill//Starks/Sting/Darby sitdown was also fine. I feel for Starks and Bill at the moment, both them and the tag titles are background players to other ongoing stories. Their last win was in service of furthering the endless Jericho/Callis feud, this time they're a stop along the way in the Sting/Darby vs The Bucks build. 

I skimmed through Kyle Fletcher vs Chris Jericho. Just waiting for both him and especially Takeshita to be free of this. 

Deonna Purazzo vignette about the tattoos was good stuff. There you go Bully Ray, I hope you can wrap your little head around it now.

Bang Bang Scissor Gang segment was pretty much nothing. Fun for the live crowd though and I think it's important to establish them as a unit for a bit before the eventual turn. 

None of the Bucks' segments are landing for me at the moment, outside of Nick's outfits. 

Toni Storm once again stellar on commentary. The puns, the references, Schiavone a half sucked mango, and Of COURSE Excalibur is Sean Mooney, don't know how I hadn't spotted that before.  John Television and Taya Valkyrie have one of the best entrances going right now, they look fantastic. As I've been saying whilst struggling through ROH every week, their heel double act is by far the most I've enjoyed either of their work. Dalton is obviously the main reason for that on ROH, but regardless they're at their best together. Loved the finish; horrendous looking hold with Deonna staring Toni down the whole time. 

RVD and Swerve was loads of fun. Thought RVD went above and beyond here to hit me right in the ECW nostalgia. Very smart to have RVD surprise attack Swerve with a chair right at the start. Let him run through the hits and beat up Swerve whilst giving Swerve an out for it. Also Swerve winning in spite of it all ultimately left him looking strong. Particularly enjoyed Swerve getting to do his own Van Daminator of sorts towards the end.  But yeah, was surprised with quite how much they did here and had a good time. Closing promo did what it needed to. I don't need selling on Hangman/Swerve, though I'd have thought their third match would have another gimmick attached and wouldn't be quite so soon. Guess if they are still wanting to do a 3-way to get out of doing Joe/Swerve too early they could still have an inconclusive ending next week. 

Used "fine" a lot there and that is mostly what this Dynamite was. Elevated slightly for me because I'm a Toa fan and a sucker for Rob Van Dam playing the hits, so those two matches really delivered for me personally. 

Rob Van Dam was really good in the main event - not just nostalgia good but genuinely good - timing, selling, a long fast-paced hardcore match.  He looks a bit trimmer than when he was last on AEW as well.  Really impressive to see at his stage of his career.

The best bit of the whole show for was the joyful expression on Joe's face every time they cut to him on commentary - he was loving RVD!

It's so refreshing - usually the Champ is someone for whom the championship is a burden, lots of angst and pain and suffering and all that.  But Samoa Joe is loving being the champ, revelling in it.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Has RVD ever mixed it up with The Elite? I’d love to see what The Bucks or Omega could do with him. Considering what they managed to do with The Hardys, I they’d have rippers with him.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Has RVD ever mixed it up with The Elite? I’d love to see what The Bucks or Omega could do with him. Considering what they managed to do with The Hardys, I they’d have rippers with him.

The only potential interaction I can find between RVD and The Elite is - according to Cagematch - in TNA back in 2010, where 'Max and Jeremy Buck' appeared in the same $100,000 Battle Royale as him. No idea if they interacted at all, but I can't imagine it was anything significant if they did. 

Omega/RVD would be a lot of fun. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

never in any capacity at all. 

EDIT: what he said, deleting the bit about the Battle Royal because RedRooster beat me to it. Alistair Darling is still dead.

Edited by BomberPat

3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

So another BIG ANNOUNCEMENT from Sniff, this week. 

Tournament? Title? Signing? 

Would laugh my arse off, if he announced some sort of deal with Stardom, only for most of the roster to fuck off with Rossy Ogawa. 

Belief is a show at the TD Garden on March 13th to begin the Mercedes Moné hype. Try and replicate the approach to the First Dance. That may also double as Okada's "debut" as an AEW signing.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Belief is a show at the TD Garden on March 13th to begin the Mercedes Moné hype. Try and replicate the approach to the First Dance. That may also double as Okada's "debut" as an AEW signing.

Just because it was announced yesterday, i hope it's to do with this https://wbd.com/espn-fox-and-warner-bros-discovery-forming-joint-venture-to-launch-streaming-sports-service-in-the-u-s/ Which would obviously be great new for their future, but I am expecting it to be your suggestion. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Belief is a show at the TD Garden on March 13th to begin the Mercedes Moné hype. 

Is there a real source that she's signed? Or is it just Fightful Select making their usual assumption based on nothing more than a cryptic tweet she made, which could just as easily have been about a haircut or a new litter box for her cat?

37 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Is there a real source that she's signed? Or is it just Fightful Select making their usual assumption based on nothing more than a cryptic tweet she made, which could just as easily have been about a haircut or a new litter box for her cat?

None of the updates have had anything to do with her social media.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

None of the updates have had anything to do with her social media.

OK, not Fightful Select. Tomato tomato. The rest of them are all going mental over words like "vision".

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2024/02/06/mercedes-mone-drops-cryptic-tweet-about-executing-a-vision-amid-aew-debut-rumors/

Any decent sources that she's signed a deal, or are we relying on the bloke that thinks it was going to be Seth vs Drew vs Zayn at some point?

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

OK, not Fightful Select. Tomato tomato. The rest of them are all going mental over words like "vision" and "focus."

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2024/02/06/mercedes-mone-drops-cryptic-tweet-about-executing-a-vision-amid-aew-debut-rumors/

Any decent sources that she's signed a deal, or are we relying on the bloke that thinks it was going to be Seth vs Drew vs Zayn at some point?

Alvarez and Meltzer seemed convinced before the rumble, and then pointed to the fact that she wasn't in the rumble as evidence.  More convinced than they are for, say, Okada.

Whether you count that as a decent source or not is up to you.

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members

There's lightyears of difference between Fightful Select and the likes of Ringside News; the latter is an aggregation site that just wants the clickbait, Fightful tend to be pretty on top of things; they've been right way more often than wrong about major signings (to the point that I don't think they've got a signing wrong in recent years), clearly have inside sources at both major companies, and are careful about not reporting misinformation. If they're saying she has signed or is expected to sign, I'd believe it, as they're working on a lot more than just bullshitting something from an Instagram caption.