AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I’ve suspected and hoped for over a year now that the Wembley match was Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness. However, the hint here of them potentially selling Wembley as Danielson’s last shot, going for the World Title one more time? Soz, Nige.

As I understand it, Wembley tickets aren’t shifting. I haven’t even bothered to get mine yet. But Bryan Danielson’s Last Stand? They’ve nailed it. Goosebumps. Genius. Yes movement. Inspired.

Apart from a few highlights I'll admit I've been pretty disappointed in his AEW run.

Would he do well in WWE? Part of me is curious but I just can't see it in my head as a good fit. Unless he'd be happy in NXT, which seems unlikely.

Posted (edited)

I reckon if he jumps to WWE he'll skip NXT and they give him the proper dark bastard package he should have had in AEW, instead of masked dude that comes out to hip-hop. His run has had zero of what made him special in Lucha Underground aside from when there were glimpses against Cody.

Or he get's thrown in Karrion's stable...

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I hope Pentagon goes. He’s the perfect example of a guy who’s done everything he’s going to do in the territory, so would benefit massively from a change of environment.

Triple H and Shawn will be salivating at the spooky shit they can do with him. Probably already putting an order in with the wholesaler for extra hour glasses, thrones and black goo.

Just now, Supremo said:

I hope Pentagon goes. He’s the perfect example of a guy who’s done everything he’s going to do in the territory, so would benefit massively from a change of environment.

Do you think he has? I had really high hopes for him but he's felt like he was mostly lost in the shuffle over time. I guess unless there are numerous injuries and they need someone to step up, it's unlikely to get any better for him.

• Paid Members

I mean in the sense that he’s done everything they ever plan on doing with him. I think he has tonnes more potential and could be mixing it up as a top heel, but  that’s clearly never going to happen. They’ve slotted him where he’s always going to be. Especially now they’ve had guys like Ospreay and Okada come in.

If he stays in AEW, it’s another three years of Zero Miedo and midcard Canadian Destroyers. May as well go down the Ethan Page route. He’s got nothing to lose. And A LOT of goo to gain.

• Paid Members

I know when AEW first started it's run, Penta and Fenix were two that I couldn't wait to see get their inevitable main event solo runs and yet here we are 5 years later and they're both still treading water in Death Triangle with Pac, another wasted talent.

When AEW eventually collapses in on itself like a dying star I really hope their legacy in wrestling is more than I view it as now; a second company filled to the brim with worthless titles and wasted talent.

10 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Do you think he has? I had really high hopes for him but he's felt like he was mostly lost in the shuffle over time. I guess unless there are numerous injuries and they need someone to step up, it's unlikely to get any better for him.

Penta has often played 2nd fiddle within his AEW groups. Not just to Fenix, but PAC, and even Eddie Kingston at points. AEW's so stacked, if they were going to give him a meaningful run it would have happened by now. They'd rather film another set of vignettes for a Scorpio Sky singles return that won't go anywhere. TK has his favourites and Penta's well down the list as a 1st round exit in tournaments and occasional TV loss to get someone else over.

• Paid Members

Well, Jericho has impressed me. He's got me considering turning off the TV whenever he appears, the only reason I've managed to stick with it is that Big Bill and Bryan Keith actually seem entertaining. OK, I like Big Bill in general, but still...

• Paid Members

Hunter must be licking his lips at the thought of shoehorning another Latino star into the never ending LWO / Legado merry-go-round.

Fuck, even Savio Vega has been involved in that one.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Supremo said:

But yeah. The Jericho stuff sucks the life out of everything. How many segments was that last night? Five? SIX?! It’s the absolute pits and he’s the worst wrestler of the year. Worst thing is that he seems to think this is a great act and he’s managed to turn it around by playing into it. You haven’t, Chris. Leaning into bad heat is just more bad heat. Baron Corbin as GM-levels of, “oh, just fuck off,” energy. Even WWE doesn’t do this stuff anymore. Complete dog shit.

I was convinced when the Jericho segment started that it was going to be him getting lost backstage in a Spinal Tap bit, because he's done that multiple times but never in AEW. What we got was infinitely worse. There were aspects of this gimmick that actually worked (and I'll admit I laughed at Bryan Keith telling Angelo Parker, "that baby better respect Chris Jericho!"), but this was like when they took Roderick Strong being genuinely funny as a needy and desperate "best friend" to Adam Cole and gradually reduced the entire gimmick down to "he shouts people's names". Some of Jericho's disingenuous babyface schtick works, but just "say everything really loudly and obnoxiously" just makes it really annoying to watch, and serves no purpose. And they were followed walking around backstage, but never even made it to the ring, so, in kayfabe terms, what were they there for, what was it all for?

13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I reckon if he jumps to WWE he'll skip NXT and they give him the proper dark bastard package he should have had in AEW, instead of masked dude that comes out to hip-hop. His run has had zero of what made him special in Lucha Underground aside from when there were glimpses against Cody.

A lot of this is on Penta - he's not really done the "dark bastard" stuff outside of Lucha Underground since the Lucha Bros became a thing, and that predates AEW. As good a team as they can be, I've always said it's an act that plays to both brothers' worst instincts and downplays their strengths - Rey Fenix is really good at selling and fighting from underneath, but the fast-paced constant movement of a Lucha Brothers match means he's never given time to do that, while Pentagon is at his best when slowing stuff down and getting vicious, but the Lucha Bros match formula is, again, constant movement, so other than his taunt and one or two chops, he's never given the chance to do that either. 

Aside from how brilliant he was in Lucha Underground, I'll always remember seeing him in Bush Hall for Fight Club Pro. He was in black and gold gear, and there was a moment where he just very slowly stepped into position before he started to remove his glove for a chop, and he stepped right under the one spotlight on the ring so that his gear shone perfectly, and no wrestler has ever looked that cool and in control of their own presentation. It was especially impressive as I'd met him earlier in the day, so seeing the complete transformation from unremarkable bloke in a hoodie with a face you'd forget while still looking at it to this masked kung-fu skeleton megastar in-ring was amazing. 

He deserves to be a star wherever he goes, but I wonder if he either gets in his own way or is content with the position he's in - I never hear stories of him complaining about his push, and he has other stuff going on outside of wrestling that might be harder to keep on top of with a WWE schedule. I don't think WWE have a great track record with lucha talent - for as much as Triple H could get behind him as a spooky guy, he could easily get thrown into one of the two "all the Hispanics are friends" stables - and I doubt they would let him keep his name, which he owns. 

The Lucha Bros are like a lot of long-term AEW guys - huge signings and big names from the beginning who got lost in the shuffle and overlooked because AEW was a victim of its own success and managed to sign bigger and bigger names, so guys who had been the biggest stars brought in from the independent scene in 2019 soon got pushed down a rung because bigger names were coming in every month. In some respects, one of the team signing elsewhere might be good for both of them, to flourish as singles wrestlers without the fallback of the tag team.

• Paid Members

I thought it was a thoroughly entertaining episode of Dyno. Nothing must-see on the show, but just two hours of good fun.

Mark Briscoe and Roderick Strong are AEW's two most underrated signings for me. They can fit in anywhere in the card in any role and pull it off. Banger after banger after banger.

Sorry lads but I found the Jericho stuff this week quite funny. His overly loud 'Hi guys!' made me laugh everytime.

Wheeler Yuta is one of my guys, overjoyed to see him back. His evolution from happy-go-lucky babyface to vicious little shit under the tutelage of BCC was one of my favourite storylines of 2022 and it played out entirely through matches.

Fenix vs Ospreay is going to be mad.