Devon Malcolm

Tom Cruise  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

To make it fair, no Mission: Impossible stuff. Also, I know what tastes are like round here and @Frankie Crisp has suffered enough the last day or so.

I mean, for me it's Eyes Wide Shut. Like with many of Kubrick's films, I didn't connect with it at the start. And then I did and it's one of the greatest films ever made. As is Magnolia. Remember when Paul Thomas Anderson made good films?

I had to leave a lot of really good films off this, hence the Other option.

Remember:-

image.png.cb7075fcd086eeb1e210eecd2e4300c3.png

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Respect the cock! Tame the cunt! Magnolia takes it for me.

I must say I have a lot of time for Jerry Maguire and think that film went a long way to making people see Tom as a "proper" actor (whatever that means)

Cocktail is also a 10/10 performance and a 10/10 film, and seemingly one we would watch monthly when I was younger. Quality.

• Paid Members

This is so hard. Because Top Gun Maverick was my favourite cinema experience of 2022 and the only film I saw more than once at the Cinema. But I find Edge of Tomorrow such a fun easy watch (and Emily Blunt, swoon).

But as far something that I feel was kind of appreciated at the time but not brought up much now days, his turn in Collateral was fantastic. Beautifully shot film as well. Needs a long over due rewatch, so that’s me for next week.

• Paid Members

A Few Good Men for me. Thankfully the out of context thread is dead. Not a bad acting performance in the film, but Tom really holds his own against a bravura performance from Nicholson. 

Jack Reacher could be a good film but because I'm a book wanker I can't get past the obvious difference between Tiddly Tom and the description of Reacher in the book. Alan Richson is Jack Reacher, no one else. 

I love Cruise. I couldn’t name one of his films that I’d class as shit*. There are a few average ones like Oblivion and Knight & Day but his mere presence elevates them. I’d have to give my vote to Minority Report. Whenever I’ve tried to think of who my favourite actors are, my go to answer was usually Tom Hanks. But I may have been picking the wrong Tom. Last Samurai, Tropic Thunder, Jerry Maguire, even Vanilla Sky. I like him in them all. I’m with @DavidB6937, it’s time for a Cruise marathon. 

Also, War Of The Worlds is criminally underrated. 

*Haven’t seen The Mummy yet.

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Collateral

Great shout. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Last Samurai

Great shout. 

My aforementioned brother has long been a Cruiser, I used to be sceptical. He simply said “Look at all the directors who he worked with and who want to work with him and then tell me he’s shit”. I couldn’t argue with that at all. 

Great topic! Jack Reacher is the only one on that list I haven’t seen but I was listening to Werner Herzog talking about his acting roles and he mentioned he plays a despicable heel in Reacher and it instantly moved up my to watch list. 

From that list it’s a toss up between Magnolia and Edge of Tomorrow. Magnolia is without a doubt his finest role and he steals the film but it’s a big ensemble and it doesn’t feel as much like ‘his’ film as the others. Edge of Tomorrow just tunes in to that part of my brain dedicated to video games and I love a time loop.

The film I’ve probably seen most is Jerry Maguire. I really loved that film for a long time.

• Paid Members

Bugger me, where do you start. His filmography is banger after fucking banger from beginning to present day. Rain Man and Risky Business are another two I love. Then you have the fun Days of Thunder, the first Top Gun. It's all good stuff. On any given day I could pick a different movie for different reasons. Maybe today I'll go Collateral, to show how good a baddie he can be. Or Top Gun: Maverick which proves Tom just bloody  knows how to do a sequel. 

Cruise is going to be the last true Hollywood A Lister when it's all over. Wait to you see his version of being Paul Newman in the 3rd entry of The Hustler/Colour of Money series in about ten years. He'll be magic.