Devon Malcolm

Tom Cruise  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted Maverick from this list , but honestly there are so many to choose from.

Reacher is one of the best action films of this century, absolutely brilliantly lean and punchy.

Even off list, you have films like Cocktail, which was savaged on release but honestly is a pretty interesting movie as a critique of 80s excess culture.  Or Jerry Maguire, one of the most 90s of films.

I really like Born On the 4th July too, for which he won the Oscar of course.

And at least half on the MI films are great too.

In all honesty, it’s harder to list bad films of his, so good is his track record.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah The Mummy somehow ended up being worse than I expected it to be and I'd already heard it was shit.

Only slightly redeemed by Russell Crowe as Fat Dr. Jekyll and Fat Mr. Hyde.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

In all honesty, it’s harder to list bad films of his, so good is his track record.

I've only seen it the once, but Far And Away is a massive piece of shit. 

Apart from that he's quite "bad film" free. Some really average ones (Interview With A Vampire, The Firm) but he even elevates those.

• Paid Members

My perception of the original is coloured by the fact that my sister watched it every day after school for about a year. My mum grew so annoyed by it and one day she finally snapped, rewound it, took the tape out video and then threw it on the fire. When we asked her why she rewound it before putting it on the fire she said "To make sure I burned it from the fucking start" 

So Maverick for me thanks. 

I was at a (British) Sea Power gig and before they come on, there was this lad chatting to a girl. I could hear him and see his face and I got the feeling she wasn’t interested. His contribution to the conversation went something like this (his facial expressions represented thusly). I couldn’t hear her, obviously. 

“Yeah I love films, have you seen Top Gun” (smiling face)

”You’ve never seen Top Gun?? (Beaming) Oh it’s great”

(Smiling but puzzled) “Is it what?”

(face contorted in disgust) “NO IT AINT GAY, WHY DO PEOPLE SAY THAT? IT AINT GAY”