Survivor Series: WarGames

Devon Malcolm

Michael Cole’s call at the end of “Tongiht has been electric” I thought was a final troll to fans that were clambering for Punk’s return.

The WWE credits logo, the wide angle, all signs pointed to the show being over.

Suddenly that very “electric” alluded to, strikes across the arena.

Probably my favourite wrestling return ever.

Even better than Shane McMahon’s that time to feud with Undertaker.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Also seeing reports that Drew is in the huff - any idea why?

He’s stuck in the States while Boots have germoloids marked down for Black Friday weekend.

As a moment, absolutely incredible. Nothing like a true surprise in wrestling as a fan.

Long term and whatever. Meh. He's still Punk. Not a guy I'd actively turn off for but not someone I was desperately looking to return either. Obviously he has his fans and I can see why they'd want to bring it together so hopefully it works out as they've been doing really well lately.

Good PPV overall.

Yeah all jokes I've made and will make in the future aside I'm glad Punk is still in wrestling, regardless of company. He's one of the only things I've got any kind of interest in at the moment, he won't be getting me to watch WWE on a weekly basis but I'll be keeping up with his segments for sure.

31 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

I hope that Seth's reaction was legit as it confirms he's a thin skinned, knock off Jared Leto who got upset by Punk's criticism.

Also seeing reports that Drew is in the huff - any idea why? Didn't think he had any beef with old Phil?

Looks like the cameraman gives him some sort of cue with his hand.

I think his and Seth’s reaction is all part of the plan. I’ve even seen videos of Rhea Ripley and Michael Cole looking a bit miffed during Punk’s return. 

Triple H is good at this. He’s probably aware that everything is on a camera phone in arenas these days so why not throw these little Easter eggs in too just to get people talking more and wondering ‘what if.’

The return was perfect, the Chicago reaction was insane, everyone is talking about it and all pro wrestling fans are buzzing. Job done.

4 minutes ago, Mr Kennedy said:

Looks like the cameraman gives him some sort of cue with his hand.

I think his and Seth’s reaction is all part of the plan. I’ve even seen videos of Rhea Ripley and Michael Cole looking a bit miffed during Punk’s return. 

Triple H is good at this. He’s probably aware that everything is on a camera phone in arenas these days so why not throw these little Easter eggs in too just to get people talking more and wondering ‘what if.’

The return was perfect, the Chicago reaction was insane, everyone is talking about it and all pro wrestling fans are buzzing. Job done.

You’d hope so, but apparently most of the talent in the match were informed before the match started. Could be a case that he went out, did what he needed, then wanted to get out of there asap in protest.

2 minutes ago, Matthew said:

You’d hope so, but apparently most of the talent in the match were informed before the match started. Could be a case that he went out, did what he needed, then wanted to get out of there asap in protest.

In protest of CM Punk returning? Why on earth?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

With this CM Punk signing HHH has signalled that the door is always open for anyone.  Hell, Poppa Pump is in the HoF and he said some shit about Haitch's wife. 

The fucking size of Randy last night, you'd think Big Poppa Pump was in that main event! Jesus Christ. No messing around from Orton. Jacked to fuck. A proper return-to-TV cycle.

As a moment, Punk's return is up there as one of the best things they've ever done. Not only being able to keep it a secret, but the way in which everything on the show seemed to suggest it wasn't happening. The whole thing was masterful in dampening expectations. You could see the wires. They were seemingly doing everything to quell the Punk chants and drive the fans away from even thinking about it. From the teased cash-in, to Orton making the save, to the big babyface comeback, huge high-spot off the top of the cage, babyface posing to the hard camera, credits coming up in the corner. All of their usual tropes and rhythms played to perfection.

It's probably a daft comparison, but I got the same experience as I had when they broke The Streak. It was never happening. I was an idiot for ever expecting it. Here's everyone going through the motions. Old familiar. And then boom, you're through the fucking looking glass. You're unplugged from The Matrix. It still doesn't feel real!

Honestly, I'm almost as equally as fascinated by the inevitable footage of his return backstage. CM Punk and Hunter Hearst Helmsley, thick as thieves, sneaking him into the arena, running through Gorilla together and cueing up the music. Absolutely bonkers. Does that doctor still work for WWE that took him to court? Do you reckon they've removed that post-it note from Punk's face on the poster in Hunter's office yet?

Anyway, for balance, my guess for CM Punk Cluedo is as follows; I think he lasts five months and is fired for throwing a punch at Austin Theory in Catering.

Fuck knows how you counter this if you're AEW. Brock Lesnar as The Devil? Suddenly, the idea of seeing Sasha Banks back in WWE seems just as likely as Mercedes turning up in AEW.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I hope he finally gets to achieve his dream of headlining night 4 of a buy one get one free extravaganza. 

I was delighted when CM Punk arrived in AEW. Mostly for Punk, thinking he had got a chance to end his career on his terms. But he showed himself up to being a whiny git who forgot what being punk is. I hope WWE fans enjoy his return and hope he has learned from his AEW run. 

If I was TK, I’d offer anyone who wants out to go. Clear the deck, focus on what AEW was supposed to be in the first place. I think this is the best for all parties.

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I was delighted when CM Punk arrived in AEW. Mostly for Punk, thinking he had got a chance to end his career on his terms. But he showed himself up to being a whiny git who forgot what being punk is. I hope WWE fans enjoy his return and hope he has learned from his AEW run. 

Someone made the - very clever - point earlier, that he’s never really been Punk. That might be the gimmick, but it was the gimmick for Good Charlotte and Blink 182 too until one of them married Cameron Diaz and another became a Kardashian.

He’s always been a package Punk, who’s only ‘punk’ credentials really are that he doesn’t hate trans people for existing, and who’s been pretty open about wanting to ‘headline Glastonbury’ as someone smarter than me put it earlier.

He’s always been pretty upfront about wanting a lot of money and wanting to headline Mania. That’s not punk. That’s straight down the barrel, mainstream pro-wrestling stardom. In retrospect, despite him being the occasional blowhard, this isn’t really that surprising.

I think he’ll have a broadly incident free run, but the angle will be that everyone’s pissed off. And over time, most people will forget what’s real or what’s not and ‘everyone hates Phil’ will just become another angle in peoples minds, he’ll wander into the Hall of Fame and it’ll be fine.

It’s pretty telling which talent liked the WWE Insta posts straight off the bat after the show went off the air… The Rock and Batista were right on it.

One Bil Phil’s a superstar, baby. Even the MLB posted about him.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If I was TK, I’d offer anyone who wants out to go. Clear the deck, focus on what AEW was supposed to be in the first place. I think this is the best for all parties.

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest Andrade might want to go. He posted this as it happened.

Anyway, John Cena’s Instagram game remains strong.

IMG_6936.thumb.jpeg.1243c3b95e10608c3fa36fe8a9228a2c.jpeg

That’s a match to retire on! Career rivals, each other’s best opponent, clashing one more time. Whilst sucking a blood money covered dick in Saudi.