26 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Borrowed my mum's car today and found myself really enjoying radio 4 (the only preset she had saved). Does this count?

Radio 4 is great. What was on?

My default sleeping listening has been the World Service for a while. The dullest (most entertaining) BBC station of them all.

• Paid Members

In about 2009 before I had a smart phone, I lost my MP3 player and had no back up. My phone did have a radio tuner on it though and I spent about 4 months listening the radio 4 wherever I went. I listened to everything, except the Archers obviously. Can't speak for what it's like these days, but it was consistently good then, even a lot of the plays were decent.

1 minute ago, gmoney said:

In about 2009 before I had a smart phone, I lost my MP3 player and had no back up. My phone did have a radio tuner on it though and I spent about 4 months listening the radio 4 wherever I went. I listened to everything, except the Archers obviously. Can't speak for what it's like these days, but it was consistently good then, even a lot of the plays were decent.

My best mates Mum and Dad listened to the Archers every single day when we were younger and they were the dullest people ever, her a librarian and him an accountant/lay preacher. 

It always sounded so shit.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Radio 4 is great. What was on?

My default sleeping listening has been the World Service for a while. The dullest (most entertaining) BBC station of them all.

I listened to some bloke lecturing about politics and society, an interview with Martin Lewis, a couple of ladies talking about the life of a standard bearer in Syria in the Roman empire and something else I've forgotten now.

• Paid Members

Skyrim, that's my boring the arse off of people. I'm one of dem blokes who've never played another elder scrolls game, although I played and disliked the online game. But when Skyrim came out, it really spoke to me, and so I've spent well over a decade relating all sorts of stuff to Skyrim, like "it's snowing, like it does in Skyrim," or "I'll have an apple, like you find in Skyrim."

Skyrim.

• Paid Members
On 12/13/2023 at 10:47 PM, SuperBacon said:

The World Service is superb, especially because it's global focus means it's coverage of news is less affected by popular opinion and/or government pressure from here, so it tends to be a bit more balanced than the news coverage from the mothership. Lots of great documentaries too. 

Radio 4 is so stealthy.  You listen to the news in the car, and then the next programme is about the history of roundabouts and you're like "roundabouts??" incredulously and then after a couple of minutes you're thinking "actually this is really interesting", and then before you realise it you're tutting about how Linda Snell is interfering in the Xmas Talent Competition.

7 hours ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

Skyrim, that's my boring the arse off of people. I'm one of dem blokes who've never played another elder scrolls game, although I played and disliked the online game. But when Skyrim came out, it really spoke to me, and so I've spent well over a decade relating all sorts of stuff to Skyrim, like "it's snowing, like it does in Skyrim," or "I'll have an apple, like you find in Skyrim."

Skyrim.

Skyrim's the most insidious best game ever. 

The complexity of it is trounced by its own series' earlier entries, the sophistication of it has been trounced by successive open world games, but there's a genuine subculture of people out there - and some have made hours long videos on YouTube about this - who feel safe and content just...walking from town to town within its world in a way no game has done before or since. 

You're not alone, brother. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK