More a very recent one but I came across a channel on TikTok called Trek Trendy which follows a guy trying out luxury suites on planes, trains and cruise ships all over the world, discovered that they had a YouTube channel so have been watching through their past content and it really amazes me how detailed some are, for example the guy was on one luxury airliner that had suites that were essentially like hotel rooms with a lounge area, bedroom and en-suite bathroom

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

More a very recent one but I came across a channel on TikTok called Trek Trendy which follows a guy trying out luxury suites on planes, trains and cruise ships all over the world, discovered that they had a YouTube channel so have been watching through their past content and it really amazes me how detailed some are, for example the guy was on one luxury airliner that had suites that were essentially like hotel rooms with a lounge area, bedroom and en-suite bathroom

Sounds like Moneyplane

• Paid Members

I mean, I guess the only one I have is that I've written nearly 9,000 film reviews on Letterboxd and write a review for everything I watch. But I'm so dull that I don't even have a dull hobby or interest. 

40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

once threatened to combine my love of Flight Simulator and football by recording me flying a drone around an area and visiting the grounds, whilst narrating stories about the club, the ground, or games I’ve witnessed there. 

That sounds just as mad as that time during lockdown where someone briefly went a bit mental and started narrating over them trying to solve The Guardian Quick crossword every day. 

Oh go on then! 😆😆😆

The kids egged me on to do it, and now mercilessly rip the piss out of me for it.

• Paid Members

I spend an unholy amount of time on Google Earth and/or Maps, mainly wandering the backstreets of seaside towns. I have no idea what it is I'm actually looking for. I recently pinpointed where the steps to a subway in Blackpool used to be.

My nerdy go-to YouTube channel is Knight Rider Historians, where I watch with great excitement as a man sands some white paint off an old trailer, to reveal different white paint underneath.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Obey the traffic driving taxis in GTA. 

I still haven’t played 5, but sometimes on 3 and 4 I’d just tune into a station I liked and just drive around listening to the radio and obeying the rules. Very relaxing and the closest to actually driving a car for me.

• Paid Members

I really like infrastructure stuff - I love finding out little bits and pieces about how things were planned out and the history of what was there before. This goes double for TFL stuff. I'm a bit of a Tube obsessive as a result. For my last birthday, my partner took me to a tour of the derelict Aldwych tube station, which was pretty amazing. We've also been to the museum depot in Acton, which had the following gem:

See the bus in the middle? That's a 29 Bus from a century ago, going from Charing Cross to Alderman's Hill through Wood Green, Finsbury Park and Camden. And, while it terminates at Wood Green now, that's still the 29 bus route. I use it. Blew my mind.

29bus.thumb.png.0e5f2030df7bcc01c8857ef7a83c58e1.png

I'm also really into the design side of things, and one of my favourite books is this Kickstarter reissue of the original British Rail corporate identity manual style guide. It's an absolute brick of a thing and genuinely beautiful.

debe42f71b6d041bc4f878e4ddfcdc81_original.gif.a1eb882815de7a6c41b5ca2f0d36bd67.gif

With infrastructure and design stuff, it's all about the work, creativity and talent that's gone into stuff that we take for granted. And when you think about someone actually making it, it's brilliant.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I used to love just cruising around the countryside in San Andreas not really doing much of anything with the radio on. It perfectly evoked that feeling of getting out of the busy city to a slower pace of life. 

I've said it before but my favourite part is when you have to collect cars for exporting. I save them all up and do them in two or three long sessions at a time, very relaxing. Similar to when I'm collecting oysters - grabbing a boat from somewhere and sailing round the countryside and coast picking them up.