• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I understand the logic of splitting the Overground up into groups; I've got used to the little stretch of it I routinely use, but it can be a bit confusing/daunting trying to make sense of it otherwise. 

I'm just not a fan of the names they've chosen, I'd rather something more blandly functional that gave me some indication of where the train was going.

22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm just not a fan of the names they've chosen,

Alright Joey Barton! :)

But no, I agree. They sound like lyrics from an Idles song. 

LIBERTY LINE! LIONESS LINE! MILDMAY LINE! SUFFRAGETTE LINE! WEAVER LINE! WINDRUSH LINE! OVERGROUND! WE'VE BEEN GROUND OVER!

spacer.png

Lioness Line at least goes through Wembley, so at least that's consistent.

Can't wait for Geoff Marshalls video on it.

• Paid Members

I just love the idea that they named all the lines to make it less confusing for tourists and visitors, and then presumed that all of those tourists have an intrinsic knowledge of which areas of London were historical hotspots for the weaving industry.

• Paid Members

I'd have thought the line through Canonbury would be the one call the Suffragette line, as Canonbury's the nearest station to Newington Green Unitarian Church, the birthplace of feminism as a political movement (was where Wollstonecraft hosted the first meeting based off ...Rights of Woman).

17 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Newington Green Unitarian Church

This is somewhere I’d love to visit. Is it just a church or do they have stuff regarding the radical history of the place?

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is somewhere I’d love to visit. Is it just a church or do they have stuff regarding the radical history of the place?

Both! It's a sort of lefty community centre.

Here's their website, to give you an idea:

https://www.new-unity.org/

• 1 month later...