AEW Wrestledream PPV discussion

LaGoosh

51 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Swerve might end up rivalling OC as my wrestler of the year.

It has to be MJF for me. He’s had more truly sensational matches, primos and storylines than anyone else in wrestling this year. And all of his matches are so different - case in point, the handicap match on this show.

Slightly off topic, but I’d love to see Athena get nominated too. She’s having the run of her life, even though basically no one has seen it thanks to it being in ROH.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Slightly off topic, but I’d love to see Athena get nominated too. She’s having the run of her life, even though basically no one has seen it thanks to it being in ROH.

That reminds me, on Zero Hour during her match, JR said something along the lines of 'I keep waiting for Athena to get on a red hot roll, she's got all the athletic ability' before Nigel makes him aware she's the ROH Women's champion and the most dominant ROH Women's champion.

3 hours ago, Kamran said:

That reminds me, on Zero Hour during her match, JR said something along the lines of 'I keep waiting for Athena to get on a red hot roll, she's got all the athletic ability' before Nigel makes him aware she's the ROH Women's champion and the most dominant ROH Women's champion.

I think both those statements can be true, even if you don’t want your commentator saying it.

JR is a weird one, he routinely commentates now as if it’s all a work and he’s commenting as a podcaster talking about the product, not as an active part of the show in on the ‘work’ as it were.

The low point being on Collision when he said “Cash Wheeler is so physical, he makes all his offence look like it huts”.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think both those statements can be true, even if you don’t want your commentator saying it.

JR is a weird one, he routinely commentates now as if it’s all a work and he’s commenting as a podcaster talking about the product, not as an active part of the show in on the ‘work’ as it were.

The low point being on Collision when he said “Cash Wheeler is so physical, he makes all his offence look like it hurts”.

Fucking hell, that’s awful. Though you may have hit the nail on the head as to why ; he’s spent too long talking openly to Conrad et al that he’s forgotten there are some things you shouldn’t say “in front of the curtain” so to speak.

I’ve watched Copeland show up ; absolutely fantastic, in chief because he came out to Metalingus and the same pyro and 100% was the same, instantly recognisable bloke who you knew who it was before you even saw his face. Keeping Alter Bridge instead of having to choose something else is brilliant, the polar opposite to Mox getting to drop “generic WWE dirge #18” for Wild Thing. Much like when Punk showed up with Cult Of Personality it made for more of a seamless transition of “hey - it’s this guy, he’s here now.” I know we’re a bit removed from when we used to say “Well, Taker could go to WCW but he couldn’t be “The Undertaker” so what would be the point?” - Adam can basically show up and be Edge, they just can’t call him that, regardless of music, but it really made the moment special for me, more authentic, like that one night WWE paid for Enter Sandman so Jim could still be The Sandman to the fullest. In the interest of fairness it worked both ways when Cody just turned up at Mania with Kingdom, 100% the version of himself he’d crafted in his years away. Wrestling is so weird, unlike real sports where a player moves teams and all you might wonder is if they’ll adapt to a different league, in wrestling when someone jumps you don’t know how much of themselves they get to retain regarding character, name and aesthetics on “the other channel.”

I disagree that the video that played before “You think you know me” took anything away from it, all it did was let you know someone was turning up but giving everyone chance to pause and think (without going full Michael Cole about it) Could it be…? I don’t think anything was lost in the surprise, given that not much is 100% surprising any more. Chicago was chanting for CM Punks name all night and right before he came out, they still lost their minds and it was still a timeless moment. Same here.

Punk would be delighted how often he’s getting mentioned in an AEW thread after he’s gone. Rent free.

Edited by air_raid

Josh Barnett looked really good against Claudio and really helped make the event feel like an actual nod to Inoki, I'm guessing there might have been plans for him Vs Moxley before the injury?

If Tony really wanted to make it a tribute to Inoki he would have booked Satnam Vs an MMA guy..

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

If Tony really wanted to make it a tribute to Inoki

... he would have jobbed MJF to the last bloke he saw win a UFC fight regardless if said fighter had any aptitude for pro wrestling.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Josh Barnett looked really good against Claudio and really helped make the event feel like an actual nod to Inoki, I'm guessing there might have been plans for him Vs Moxley before the injury?

If Tony really wanted to make it a tribute to Inoki he would have booked Satnam Vs an MMA guy..

I loved Barnett's promo after the match being like he was the guest superstar brought in to fight a local indie's top guy, putting over Claudio as if he's an up-and-comer with something to prove, and not a 20+ year veteran and former champion that just pinned him clean.

5 hours ago, air_raid said:

I disagree that the video that played before “You think you know me” took anything away from it, all it did was let you know someone was turning up but giving everyone chance to pause and think (without going full Michael Cole about it) Could it be…? I don’t think anything was lost in the surprise, given that not much is 100% surprising any more. Chicago was chanting for CM Punks name all night and right before he came out, they still lost their minds and it was still a timeless moment. Same here.

Yeah you can't really argue with the actual crowd reaction. There was a mega pop for the lights going out because a lot of people had a fair assumption about what that meant. The video seemed to sustain the reaction in, as you say, some sort of "will they won't they" state and then the reaction to "you think you know me" was bugnuts.

Obviously we can't compare to reactions if they hadn't done that but it really didn't sound like the video took the wind out of the crowd's sails and given the size of the second pop compared to the first it's hard to argue it didn't build some anticipation

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members

My issue with the video mainly is that is was shit. If they'd have done something cool, it would have been fine, but it was generic toss. It was time and effort wasted when it would have been just as good if not better with just "You think you know me" playing. 

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

My issue with the video mainly is that is was shit. If they'd have done something cool, it would have been fine, but it was generic toss. It was time and effort wasted when it would have been just as good if not better with just "You think you know me" playing. 

Yeah the video didn't do much for me either, but watching the media scrum it seemed like it was something he wanted to do himself (Copeland and Darby filmed it), and he loved having the chance to drive around and have a laugh. Also side note, the fireworks at the stadium while he drove past just happened to be going off because some team won something, nice coincidence.

Last thing, just cause I like being a dickhead, it didn't say "you think you know me", it said "you think you know HIM" nice touch...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, thatvinylgeek said:

Yeah the video didn't do much for me either, but watching the media scrum it seemed like it was something he wanted to do himself (Copeland and Darby filmed it), and he loved having the chance to drive around and have a laugh. 

Well I hope that's not a sign of a load of self-indulgent nonsense incoming in this run. 

I've watched it back (a lot) and I tell you what, Christian is fucking incredible. He was absolutely perfect throughout. Understated enough to not steal the limelight but expressive enough to sell the moment and the conflicting emotions that character might be feeling. Even the half-hearted way he told Luchasaurus to back off when Edge got in the ring, like he wasn't sure whether he wanted Dino Boy to whack him or not, was great.

What a guy. Get the world title on him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, thatvinylgeek said:

Yeah the video didn't do much for me either, but watching the media scrum it seemed like it was something he wanted to do himself (Copeland and Darby filmed it), and he loved having the chance to drive around and have a laugh. Also side note, the fireworks at the stadium while he drove past just happened to be going off because some team won something, nice coincidence.

Last thing, just cause I like being a dickhead, it didn't say "you think you know me", it said "you think you know HIM" nice touch...

Really liked him in that media scrum - he sounded like he was having a blast, and he seems genuinely into the filming side of things. It was something the @WrestleMe! lads talked about when they reviewed Money Plane - that Copeland had clearly worked quite hard on what was a pants film.

Personally, I liked the video - and it was the kind of thing where you only find out if it works by trying it.

Saw some talk somewhere about Sting seeming a step off - to me, it looked like Luchasaurus wasn't where he should have been for the next spot, so he was just looking around for him.

Overall, though, that was a blast of a PPV, and the Adam Copeland stuff was really feel-good. Came away from that one grinning and looking forward to what's next.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, thatvinylgeek said:

Yeah the video didn't do much for me either, but watching the media scrum it seemed like it was something he wanted to do himself (Copeland and Darby filmed it)

(snip)

"you think you know HIM"

Forgive me if its been posted in the thread already, if not, I assume everyone's already read from other sources that the new intro voice note was recorded by Copeland and the voice is Beth?