Favourite scenes in film & TV

Carbomb

• Paid Members

One of my favourite scenes in film ever is the dancing Kali statue scene inĀ The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Everyone rightly talks about the skeletons from Jason & The Argonauts, the Medusa scene from Clash of the TitansĀ (which I believe is a masterpiece in pacing and creation of suspense and horror), and the snake-woman dance and the Cyclops fromĀ The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, but for me, this particular scene, from both a creative and technical point of view, is Harryhausen at his most spectacular.Ā 

Ā 

Another favourite of mine is fromĀ Glengarry Glen RossĀ - not the Alec Baldwin one that all the Crypto-Bros and arch-capitalists have as part of their playlists alongside "Greed Is Good" and that Boiler Room speech, but Al Pacino's Ricky Roma masterfully pitching to Jonathan Pryce's James Link. Not with a typical pitch script, but by obliquely building up to it, insidiously latching on to Link's insecurity about having a boring life with no risk, painting a wider picture about a life lived cautiously.Ā 

Al Pacino is very "hoo-hah" in other parts of the film, but this is an example of how good he could still be when he's playing it restrained and calm.

Ā 

21 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Basically most of Rear Window

Alfred Hitchcock Movie GIF by Turner Classic MoviesThis bit really shit me up. Turned my blood cold!

I read somewhere once that in the source novel you only find out the photographer is wheelchair bound with a broken leg on the very last page?

• Paid Members

A Knight's Tale is one of those films that massively over-achieved. It looked fun with a great cast, and I was expecting a decent date movie and not much more. But it's just generally an absolute banger of a film, and in the middle of all the fun, you get the scene of William reuniting with his father.

Just brilliant, genuinely emotional stuff. Gets me every time. Not least because, for such a short scene, it subverts expectations - it looks like it's setting up that William is lying, and it'll be later in the film that the father realises. But instead, it'sĀ immediate. Also, it's not really been set up that much - we get a flashback, but I wasn't expecting the father to be a story element again.Ā