25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

As I said previously, the fact that the film came out and then the show just continued was weird. The film, as you say, should've been the pay off at the end.

I can't think of any other show doing similar, South Park aside, but that's not a serious comparison. 

Technically Twin Peaks might fit, people so badly wanted closure and a pay-off for all the weird stuff but the film just added more questions and was a prequel. But then the return added even more while maybe answering a few.

Edited by Merzbow

8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Technically Twin Peaks might fit, people so badly wanted closure and a pay-off for all the weird stuff but the film just added more questions and was a prequel. But then the return added even more while maybe answering a few.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, the film came at a 'definitive' series end right? And the return came years later*? 

Chris Carter knew he was carrying on the series, which makes the placing of the film just odd.

*Haven't ever seen any of it. Will do one day.

7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

the film came at a 'definitive' series end right?

Not really, there was always talk even from Frost and Lynch for the world of Twin Peaks to continue with even Mulholland Drive starting out as a pilot about Audrey Horne. I think the panning and misunderstanding of Fire Walk With Me set a lot of that back.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:16 PM, SuperBacon said:

I know some people prefer the stand alone 'monster' episodes more

This was me. I absolutely loathed all of the bollocks around the cigarette smoking man, Mulder's sister, Scullys baby etc.  I never saw the movie because I had no interest in that side of the show, but had also hoped/assumed that would be the end of that storyline.  I don't think I ever made it to the end of the show itself, though I do remember there being a bit of respite when Mulder left and they partially reverted back to the monster of the week format with Doggett.  But for me when the show was good it was excellent, especially for its time. 

• Paid Members

Watched the show for the first time when it was added to Disney+. I found it really enjoyable though I did exit after the first film as the first few episodes of the following season felt...off. Turns out I was right to dip out then according to various sites that have ranked the seasons from worst to best.

The tales of the two actors actually disliking each other at times during filming adds another layer of intrigue to the show, and I'm glad that they've let bygones be bygones now.

What I also love about the retrospective watchalong is that the overarching conspiracy plots wouldn't hit home properly if it were made today considering any talk of government conspiracy gets you co-opted with the alt-right crowd. Seeing them written and set-up with that 90's mindset harks back to a better time. Right-wing nutters and social media wankers have ruined what used to be a fun little rabbit hole of bonkers theories and tall tales, and that used to make for great telly and film. I used to buy big books about conspiracy theories up until the early 2010's, and none of them ever included mass murder denial and 'crisis actors'.

Edited by Accident Prone

I was all about The X Files as a kid. I had the videos, cards, calendars, the books by Jonathon Ross's wife, everything. The first three series are full of classics. I was obsessed with the loch ness monster, so I loved Quagmire. Humbug got me interested in the Jim Rose circus. 

But the one that had the biggest impact on me was The Host. I don't think anything in TV or film has shitted me up more than the Flukeman. I used to regularly have really vivid and realistic nightmares about him/it. The bit where he's in the glass pipe still freaks me out. 

Part of my job involves inspecting pump houses and sewage pits on the site where I work. Even after nearly five years I still have to convince myself I'm not going to come face to face with this and get dragged into the water.

Thehost (1)

I'll probably have nightmares again tonight.

16 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

The tales of the two actors actually disliking each other at times during filming adds another layer of intrigue to the show, and I'm glad that they've let bygones be bygones now.

I honestly think they fancied the shit out of each other and that was the cause of the issues. I don't think there's been 2 better looking leads of a TV show.

One of my favourite episodes is BAD BLOOD just utterly hilarious. That show could go from frightening to comedic episode by episode. I loved the funny ones. Up until season 6 I loved it. Wasn't a fan of the last few seasons and the reboots, while having some good moments, just didn't sit right as Duchovny just isn't that nerdy guy anymore (He's basically morphed into Hank Moody)

Still rewatch every couple of years, and if I'm ever a bit bored I'll throw on a random episode. It reminds me of being a kid watching it with my Dad