I've just started a rewatch, so thought it would be ideal time to start a thread.

Growing up, The X-Files was probably my favourite show. I enjoyed The Outer Limits as well, but when this came out, it was instantly my favourite. It was on Sunday nights initially IIRC, and always shit me up.

I had the books (official and unofficial), posters,  DRESSED AS MULDER for a School fancy dress thing once and was obsessed. 

But when it went to Sky One and I no longer had access to watch it, my fandom fell away, and I think I've only ever seen up to Series 5 or 6.

I did start a rewatch during lock down, but I've forgotten where I got up to as it moved from Prime to Disney, so here we are starting from the beginning again.

I've gone through 5 episodes today, and remembered just what a great show it is. It certainly doesn't feel 30 odd years old at all.

What struck me is how quickly Mulder and Scully bond and become friends. It's almost instantaneous. When that academy prick starts up about him in Squeeze, she has his back right away, and is all lovely and defensive about her "Spooky" What a great character Toombs is by the way. Creepy bastard.

I know some people prefer the stand alone 'monster' episodes more, but I remember loving the overarching conspiracy thread, and I think I had a VHS which had the end of Series 2 and start of Series 3 (Anasazi?) and rinsed it. It'll be interesting to see whether I love it as much when I pass what I've already watched and go into unfamiliar territory. 

Also, Murder and Scully are so, so, so fit. David Duchovny is an incredibly handsome man, and Gillian Anderson will always have my heart for those 1996 FHM features.

Anyway, feel free to add your thoughts and whatnot, or watch along with me. I'd also be interested in an X-Files podcast listen along if anyone can recommend a good one.

Also, I remember some decent cameos last watch, and I've already had Seth Green pop up. 

The truth is out there lads.

Also, the Jersey Devil. Would. 

Edited by SuperBacon

One of the absolute best shows of all-time. I've seen every episode (up to season eight) about six or seven times. 

I'm more partial to the monster-of-the-week episodes and there are a couple of ropey ones in there, but I'd say every episode is enjoyable in its own way. The formula just works, the chemistry between the leads is electric and there's some really memorable and juicy storylines to sink your teeth into as you go along. 

I also used to buy X-Files books, trading cards and action figures back when I would get episodes well after the fact after by uncle had taped them off Sky. Might have to rummage in the loft next time I'm back home.

I've looked up the transmission dates and apart from the pilot, it either aired on a Monday or a Thursday, I don't remember that at all. I could've sworn the original run (brother) was a Sunday night.

Also it seems that it did continue to air on BBC 2, so I obviously just stopped watching at some point.

Apart from wrestling I'd say X Files was my first true obsession. Collecting the trading cards. Getting all the VHS in single releases and then in seasons. The DVDs. Meeting the cast at conventions. Even now I still get a fucking buzz from the whole thing and I love rewatching it every few years when I get the chance.

It definitely informed my TV choices too - moving on to stuff like Twin Peaks and Twilight Zone. But it'll always be Mulder and Scully that have my heart. It's probably about time I start it again now actually..

Conspiracy episodes all the way. Even when it lost the plot a bit, I still loved it. It's the X-Files, like. It's meant to be a bit batshit insane. There's no denying the quality of the show dropped massively after series six - even the tone of it was lost a bit in moving the shooting from Vancouver to LA - but I think that's only half the story. There was also just a complete fatigue of the pop culture phenomenon of the show after the movie came out in 1998. It peaked and people had enough. Looking back now some of those later series aren't too bad at all. 

The draw is obviously in them as a duo but I'm Team Mulder all the way. Just an absolute hero. There's probably less than ten scenes in the show's whole run where he's anything less than engaging. Plays that "Can't be arsed but I'm actually really arsed" role to perfection and comes off as a genuinely nice, likeable guy which is something that's been lost a bit in TV now, where everyone is kind of like an edgy dick or post-whatever. 

All-timer title sequence too, that never gets old. Mark Snow's synth heavy score throughout is just the stuff of 90s dreams. 

There was also that Resident Evil clone game on the PS2 that I specifically remember having a scene/boss battle where Skinner dressed as a nazi chases you around his office. 

• Paid Members

I never watched it in the day because it was on late and my mum liked me to go to bed early as if I'm too sleep deprived I get sick. I keep seeing it there on Disney+, and maybe I will give it a watch at some point because I remember a friend being a massive fan of it back in the day. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I've looked up the transmission dates and apart from the pilot, it either aired on a Monday or a Thursday, I don't remember that at all. I could've sworn the original run (brother) was a Sunday night.

Also it seems that it did continue to air on BBC 2, so I obviously just stopped watching at some point.

I remember it on a Monday and Thursdays. Maybe there was a Sunday repeat? If I remember when sky got it, it was for first run rights so they got to show it near to the us airing and the BBC could show it after the season concluded. I stopped watching when the film came out which essentially bridged one season to the next. Or so I read. I think I may give it a rewatch soon as well.

Loved it to bits on the early series.

I think I gave up around the time of the 1st film.

I seem to remember thinking it was getting a bit convoluted.

The 1st series of the revival was one of the worst things I have ever seen. Absolute horse shit.

Edited by Just Some Guy
Forgot the show tarnished it's own legacy.

18 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

I think this is where I tapped out as well, not because I didn't like the film, as I did, but I'd moved on to Buffy by that point I think.

Also, the film happening and then the series continuing always struck me as odd. 

Jose Chung's From Outer Space became my favourite episode of the main run of the show, mainly because it was so weird that you had to watch it again and the second watch helped you get the joke.

The episode Home was quite controversial, as I recall, because of the subject nature, but also I believe one of the actors playing one of the brothers went out for a little while with Gillian Anderson and was found to have a not exactly wholesome criminal record behind him.

21 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

comes off as a genuinely nice, likeable guy

There's a bit in Beyond The Sea where Mulder says to Scully that he's sorry for her loss and he strokes her face, which is such a beautifully intimate thing to do for someone. It's really the action of a lover, and it's clear they do love each other.

It made me tear up a bit.

Also, forgot how unsettling the girls in Eve are. Creepy little bastards. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

I seem to remember thinking it was getting a bit convoluted.

I lost my enthusiasm around the time of the first film as well. And I don't think that's a surprise.

Before it came out, the X-Files film felt like it was going to be a pay-off. You've invested multiple seasons into an overall arc (which, let's not forget, wasn't something that many shows did at the time). And it's been built up well enough that we were all prepared to pay for answers. And that felt like the promise - that it would close off the arc and give some answers.

And it didn't. There weren't any answers, and there wasn't a grand plan. It became clear when the film came out that Chris Carter had a great set-up, but not a pay-off.

56 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Before it came out, the X-Files film felt like it was going to be a pay-off.

As I said previously, the fact that the film came out and then the show just continued was weird. The film, as you say, should've been the pay off at the end.

I can't think of any other show doing similar, South Park aside, but that's not a serious comparison.