AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I feel like this could be the impetus of a CM Punk heel turn. The only blemish on Punk's record since he returned is a tag match where Starks took the fall, and now they're fighting each other in the tournament final. I can see Punk cheating to win it next week.

I'd agree if we didn't have the Samoa Joe beat-down to finish the show - that's pure babyface stuff. Also... while you could get some pretty nuclear heat out of cheating to win for the Owen Hart cup, that feels off, considering how carefully they've worked with Martha Hart on this stuff. 

I mean, Owen was always a cheating heel, so it's not exactly the worst way to pay tribute, but it could come across as AEW being disrespectful to use it like that.

3 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Nigel McGuinness is dreadful. He just spits sentences out like he's got a mouth full of wasps.

At least he hasn’t hit his “And I heard as it were the noise of thunder” line like he did in weeks 1 & 2, I was sure we were going to get that every week. It’ll be a revelation when he finds it predates Johnny Cash.

He is fucking terrible though and always has been. He had one good night with Michael Cole at the UK Championship Tournament and hoodwinked everyone into thinking he was good

Collision's just an awful fucking slog isn't it? Just full of really boring lads taking themselves far too seriously with only Juice fucking Robinson of all people providing any light in amongst all the po faced murk.

Dunno if I'm alone in finding Ricky Starks absolute (pardon the pun) boredom fuel. He's woefully miscast as a babyface and is struggling even with his own meat and potatoes style in ring.

It had already been a turgid first 3 weeks and then they add Scorpio Sky to the mix as well. Fucking hell.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

He is fucking terrible though and always has been. He had one good night with Michael Cole at the UK Championship Tournament and hoodwinked everyone into thinking he was good

I think a whole bunch of people confused 'being British' with 'being a good talker'.

20 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

It had already been a turgid first 3 weeks and then they add Scorpio Sky to the mix as well. Fucking hell.

I don't dislike Scorpio Sky, but he's got to be in there with more interesting people. Putting in there with Action Andretti has to be punishment duty for him or something.

1 hour ago, David said:

I've been enjoying it. But then I'm also getting into watching ROH as well, so it seems the bar for me isn't all that high.

Collision is just roh 2023. Expect actual roh to get binned off nor he’s got a version on tv. 

I enjoyed Punk v Joe, in the way I enjoyed seeing Scott Steiner in TNA or Road Warrior Animal in his inexplicable last WWE run.

It's fun to see veterans with great experience go through the hits.  I think it works a bit better when they have younger dance partners though - Hogan v HBK or Jericho v Steamboat or whoever.

It did feel a little bit like watching one of their earlier matches but with all the high spots edited out and the video running at 0.75 speed.  Which in some respects isn't a bad thing! Joe can still do his stuff but he has to be VERY careful with his pacing to not run out of puff, and I'd imagine that's on the edge of how long a match he can do nowadays.  Maybe I understand a bit better why he's not in a more prominent place on the card but honestly he's wasted with an ROH minor title.  Have him on Dynamite, in squashes, or in a tag team with someone who can do the heavy lifting.  He still looks like he can kill you.

22 minutes ago, Louch said:

Collision is just roh 2023. Expect actual roh to get binned off nor he’s got a version on tv. 

When they finally relaunched ROH with the TV tapings at Universal. I was happy enough with the compromise. Since going out on the road it's by and large just Dark 2.0. Athena and the Lucha Bros being tucked away isn't doing anyone any favours. Collision tapings with an hour of Dark paywalled on Fite for international viewers would be a better overall.

ROH have a PPV in a week on Friday. Other than the recently announced Claudio v. Mark Briscoe there's nothing announced and not much of a plan in place for the additional matches. It's pointless.