AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

So we started off arguing about how many tickets they may or may not sell.

Now we're speculating about it being a glorified house show despite there being absolutely nothing to say anything like that whatsoever.

This is a great topic.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

It's their biggest show ever. It'll be their biggest show ever. No one is being left off the card.

I'm sure you're both right, but it's not entirely true to say there's 'nothing to say anything like that whatsoever'.

Omega himself said:

"If you're just using the same 20, 30 guys over and over and over again, you're going to have a lot of these special athletes just sitting on the sidelines waiting for their chance to perform. But I think for sure you're going to see some people on one show that aren't on another. And I look at that in a positive way because I do want the AEW fans or just fans of wrestling to be able to see more faces."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1335702/kenny-omega-wants-aew-all-out-all-in-different-shows/

So, whilst i'm sure all the big stars *will* get used, there's certainly some expectation management there.

FWIW, i've spent more money than i'd care to mention on going to this show and am really looking forward to it. But the idea, presented in this thread, that it could or should be an entirely non-canon 'fun' show is something I disagree with, what they do has to matter to some degree.

7 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'm sure you're both right, but it's not entirely true to say there's 'nothing to say anything like that whatsoever'.

Omega himself said:

"If you're just using the same 20, 30 guys over and over and over again, you're going to have a lot of these special athletes just sitting on the sidelines waiting for their chance to perform. But I think for sure you're going to see some people on one show that aren't on another. And I look at that in a positive way because I do want the AEW fans or just fans of wrestling to be able to see more faces."

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1335702/kenny-omega-wants-aew-all-out-all-in-different-shows/

So, whilst i'm sure all the big stars *will* get used, there's certainly some expectation management there.

FWIW, i've spent more money than i'd care to mention on going to this show and am really looking forward to it. But the idea, presented in this thread, that it could or should be an entirely non-canon 'fun' show is something I disagree with, what they do has to matter to some degree.

How do we get from that to "glorified house show" though? They've got a fucking massive roster. Of course not everyone's going to be on it and it won't have every single match ever on it. Doesn't mean they're not putting effort into it.

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

How do we get from that to "glorified house show" though? They've got a fucking massive roster. Of course not everyone's going to be on it and it won't have every single match ever on it. Doesn't mean they're not putting effort into it.

Erm, dunno... but there was people in this thread (but more elsewhere) who suggested they'd be happy for it to be entirely non-canon (I hate that phrase), and just fun stuff that's put together.

I think there's an element of that being fine... but I wouldn't necessarily agree that Omega/Ospreay completely fits that bill, as there's heat there for example.

I guess it's down to no one knowing, and an element of panic setting in that their favourites won't be there.

I'm sure it'll be fine... i'm sure the big stars will be there and the event will be treated with seriousness. But I can understand down the line if Punk and Moxley, for arguments sake, have sat it out and the main event was Omega vs Harry Smith why people might get the hump. But yes, it's very early to be condemning them.

Quite frankly the idea that people think this show will be thrown together and be a "bit of a laugh" is ludicrous.

Again, this is set to be the biggest wrestling show ever in the UK, you can bet that nerd is up night after night with a bag, booking this to the best of his ability.

Sure you can have a few "fun" matches, but let's not pretend that this won't have matches that 'matter'

Fuck it, do a WW3 battle royal and get the whole gang on.

4 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

Forbidden door?

I would probably say that was cannon as it was acknowledged heavily on TV, there was a title change, it had focus on The Elite vs BCC too. It had it's never to be remembered title matches such as Sanada vs Perry and plenty of the undercard. Even the dream matches such as MJF Vs Tana and Okada vs Danielson were interweaved with an existing storyline. That's kind of what I think All In should be. Not on normal 4 PPV levels of TV build up, use existing storylines to build into some interesting matches even if the final pay off is not at All Out. Maybe have an undercard with some UK indy talent vs AEW wrestlers. 

12 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Omega himself said:

It'd be a glorified house show if everyone was on it though, cause you'd just be padding it with 10 man tags.

Yes, not every single wrestler will be on the card, but I took Kenny's comments as aimed at the women's and tag divisions, rather than the BCC/ELITE/MJF level.

25 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Maybe have an undercard with some UK indy talent vs AEW wrestlers. 

Fuck that. Like, there's some UK talent I'm seeing on that weekend, at shows that I'm actually way more excited for than AEW, but some people have paid over £100 to see an AEW stadium show. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

You'll get mamalukes Vs Harris brothers 2 and you'll fucking like it.

That was a fine main event.

I certainly haven't bought a ticket yet but might. Due to not being that interested in sports that aren't predetermined Wembley itself isn't that much of a draw itself.  I'm certainly in the boat of being fairly invested in the product (that's an average, it varies with the booking 😀) and lucky enough to be in a position I'd be willing to pay similar for this as to what i'd pay to go to a music festival or whatnot.  But yeah it actually doesn't feel that special at the moment.  Big stadium doesn't equate to that for me.

Forbidden door had quite a lot of matches that were very good but also felt a bit just there are not hugely exciting. Obviously the two main events were massive but I'm not familiar with NJPW so the matches involving people who hadn't been on AEW TV didn't seem that big.  It was certainly worth 20 quid though. I'm 50/50 on if it would've felt worth the cost / logistics of going to see it in London (if it had been there). And I've seen Okada/Omega triology + Omega/Osprey 1, they definitely did the lion share of making it seem exciting

It's fine, the show will do really really well. It'll probably have loads of great wrestling. Tony Khan doesn't need my money. I might still go. But yeah right now, weirdly, this show doesn't seem that exciting (even knowing that Osprey/Omega 3 is likely on the cards). One or two indications of things that might be there (ala announcing just Okada/Danielson for a while) would help

Edited by organizedkaos