AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

27 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Do you think they try and do Stadium Stampede for the first time with a crowd?

Stadium Stampede: Fans Bring the Weapons

2 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

I think you have to have something TV related, doesn't have to be the main feud but you could have 6 man's on the undercard related to feuds.Ā 

You could have some people set up things post match, but this show doesnā€™t need to be cannon at all, fans will embrace everything they are Shown so can have a bit of fun and creativity in the line upĀ 

9 minutes ago, Louch said:

You could have some people set up things post match, but this show doesnā€™t need to be cannon at all, fans will embrace everything they are Shown so can have a bit of fun and creativity in the line upĀ 

I donā€™t know about this at all, the context of the feud is what gives something its heat and gives you that big match feel.

Some creativity and fun sure, but you want the big spots to be taken up by something meaty Iā€™d have thought.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I donā€™t know about this at all, the context of the feud is what gives something its heat and gives you that big match feel.

Some creativity and fun sure, but you want the big spots to be taken up by something meaty Iā€™d have thought.

What about Frobidden Door? Most matches had very little in the way of feuds, certainly not weeks or months of build up.

29 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What about Frobidden Door? Most matches had very little in the way of feuds, certainly not weeks or months of build up.

I reckon if you put Elite/BCC and Ospreay/Omega level matches on, you can have fun around it. But thereā€™s still a couple of stakes in the ground of stuff that has consequence to the television shows.

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Credit to AEW, but I felt they did a good job creating matches with relevance and stories to them.

MJF vs Tanahashi: Was really an extension of the Adam Cole storyline. Sad that Cole wasn't available to wrestle Lawlor which would of tied the whole thing together nicely.

International Title Match: They've established a relationship between him and Shibata, and to a extent, Sabre. Honestly the story here is more the "how long can Cassidy keep this up".

The Elite vs Blackpool Combat Club 10 man: Huge fued going into this. Plus with added Eddie Kingston who is fueding with Castagnoli).

Toni Storm vs Willow: A continuation of the Outcasts vs the rest of the women storyline.

Will Ospreay vs Omega: No explanation needed.

Sting / Darby / Naito vs Le Sezuki Sex Gods: A reasonable effort was made to build up tentions with Allin/Guevara and Sting/Jericho.

But yeah Im actually in agreement. With two big show mere weeks apart, you could easily make All In a show with dream matches and matches that feed into All Out.

• Paid Members

I think the danger of making All In a "non-canon" show is that it risks being like Insurrextion or Rebellion; shows that might have a big main event, but have none of the drama because you know it's meaningless. That's not what they should be doing, certainly not for their first foray into the UK market - this is an opportunity not just for one huge show, but to get a really significant foothold in this country.Ā 

They have a big enough roster, and enough intertwining stories, to do big and meaningful matches on both shows, with one leading into the other.Ā 

I don't think Forbidden Door is a good comparison, because that has the selling point of being an interpromotional show with NJPW. The "dream match" concept is already baked in. How do you make dream matches out of your full-time roster without stories to justify them?Ā 

I'd say it needs a mixture of the two. I know the crowd will be hot regardless but I do think having one that's properly invested in something - like Money In The Bank with the Bloodline - really helps too. You can have some surprises, some decent matches and something with a little depth. There's room for all of that.

My personal opinion is that it was weird doing All Out a week later. A month later would have been fine.

I also think if you have the chance to have a big moment on camera with a huge stadium crowd then do it. Something that can be used in video packages for years to come. AEW are not going to get a crowd this big again or even remotely so.Ā