CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think the only person to benefit from CM Punk in AEW was CM Punk. He didn’t put anyone over (and I don’t mean from a win/loss perspective, I mean no one benefited from fighting him)

How's that his fault though?

1 hour ago, David said:

Or someone who always thought the grass could be greener outside WWE, only to realise that isn't always the case, and now he's happy to back. His stint in AEW could actually be the best thing to happen to him.

I mean, you’ve defined someone growing out of a teenage rebellion phase.

”FOR GOD SAKE DAD, ALL MY FRIENDS GET TO GO THE MUSIC FESTIVAL AND THEY’RE ONLY 15. I HATE IT HERE.”

”Dad, I lost all my money and I’m married to a 75 year old shaman with a limp. Please help me “

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Also, it’s not true.

MJF benefitted massively from feuding with CM Punk and felt like the biggest deal in the whole company coming out of that feud. 

And Eddie. He came out of that feud a bigger star. They didn't do anything with him afterwards, but that's not the fault of that programme. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

How's that his fault though?

It’s absolutely not. I’m just saying looking back it looks like it was a massive waste of time really. And that goes with a few of the big name ex WWE guys. I’m hoping when we see some more movement as contracts come up in both companies Tony doesn’t go on another hiring spree as they have enough talent to grow already. 

12 minutes ago, gmoney said:

And Eddie. He came out of that feud a bigger star. They didn't do anything with him afterwards, but that's not the fault of that programme. 

I don’t think Eddie benefited that much. He’d already had exciting stuff with Mox going on. Absolutely an argument that the Dog Collar match elevated MJF, but the guy was already on the rise anyway.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I disrespectfully disagree. The spot at the beginning of that match with Eddie's spinning back fist, and shit eating grin was the most memorable moment of that feud, and cemented him in my eyes as a top guy. 

They might be true for some, but I already considered him a made man prior to the feud. But I appreciate that others will see things at different times.

• Paid Members

His AEW run produced some electric feuds and incredibly exciting  television. Promo battles and matches with MJF and Kingston, obviously The first dance itself is an all timer. How much it benefitted individual performers or AEW as a whole is obviously highly debatable, but man “Waste of time” is a pretty bleak assessment. 

Edited by JLM

Its definitely been a common thing with AEW that they've often failed to capitalise on momentum and star making performances. You can obviously make cases for guys like MJF and Kingston being "stars" prior to working with Punk but I do think their feuds cemented them even further as top talents.

Having a guy like Punk around and being able to work at that level, whether win or lose, should have been a benefit to ANYONE really. So I don't think it was a huge waste of time. The drama ended up being the unfortunate focal point but its not like he didn't deliver some decent work on screen during that AEW run.

Edited by DavidB6937

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s absolutely not. I’m just saying looking back it looks like it was a massive waste of time really.

What do you mean by this? He put on really good television most of the time he was on. Is it AEW's aim to not do that? What is the aim of a wrestling TV show?

I appreciate that you don't like CM Punk at all but this blanket of negativity you've thrown over his entire AEW run just doesn't ring true at all.