20 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I've seen a handful of wrestlers promote Bang! and god knows what other tat. If they needed an exclusive energy drink sponsor that bad, they could get someone else. The money behind Woo energy can't have particularly deep pockets, or they wouldn't have picked Ric Flair to be the face of their brand

I wasn’t looking at it as getting some exclusive energy drink partner, more getting one of the biggest names in wrestling on the roster without having to pony up any money for it. 

Overall another 'okay' show, I thought.

All that build just for MJF to team with The Acclaimed was a let down, match was fun though. 

Shit announcement from Sniff but I'd already set my expectations low.

OC/Claudio was fun. Hoping we are seeing the beginning of the end for the BCC.

Shida/Willow. Didn't give a shit and I hope Shida wrecks, Storm.

Kyle Fletcher looked pretty bloody good in a suit. Shame his first job with The Don Callis Family, was just getting lamped by a barely mobile, Paul White.

Bucks heel turn tease? Works for me.

Other stuff I've already forgotten which is a problem I have with all weekly wrestling, to be honest. 

• Paid Members

we can connect this news with Tony’s important announcement. 

People have complained the announcement could have just been said in a tweet, but putting it on TV means it gets the most awareness from its audience.

We’re all pretty much in unison on here about Flair. But a lot of wrestling fans still buy his merchandise, pay for photos/autographs etc. And that’s because of 2 reasons. Lack of awareness or just not caring. Other than on Darkside of the Ring, Ric Flair hasn’t been discussed as a sex pest on TV. The traction on social media doesn’t go to the masses of wrestling fans it would seem.

Had a news channel picked up stories about him he’d be blacklisted by wrestling companies and wouldn’t have his sponsorship deals. But they haven’t, so with very little backlash, he’s carried on. 

11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I wasn’t looking at it as getting some exclusive energy drink partner, more getting one of the biggest names in wrestling on the roster without having to pony up any money for it. 

To do what though? He's in his mid-70s. He can't wrestle (please don't wrestle). He struggles to get a promo out these days. They don't have access to any of his video library. It's not like Ric Flair merch was a massive seller.

Turns out they have a sponsorship deal with the Cleveland Cavs. Maybe they have bit more money than I thought if an NBA team are willing to take them on when there are so many alternatives out there.

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But a lot of wrestling fans still buy his merchandise, pay for photos/autographs etc. And that’s because of 2 reasons. Lack of awareness or just not caring. Other than on Darkside of the Ring, Ric Flair hasn’t been discussed as a sex pest on TV. The traction on social media doesn’t go to the masses of wrestling fans it would seem.

Problem is he won't appeal much to AEW fans. He's not going to be a draw on TV. I just don't see the point of him in 2023. There's so much better things Tony can be focusing his energy on. With each move like this AEW moves more and more away from being the decent alternative.

• Paid Members

I imagine the intention is for Flair to appeal to TBS/WBD far more than to the fanbase - that's the vibe I got from AEW's statement. TV deals are coming up soon, and that's what matters. It may well be why the likes of Paul Wight is showing up too.

It sucks. I've argued for a couple of years that part of the appeal of AEW is that it generally feels like you're watching a story at least trying to be told, whereas with WWE you're always second-guessing the corporate justification for every on-screen decision, and that's fundamentally unrewarding. It feels increasingly like AEW is going the same way.

13 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

To do what though?

I neither know nor care. If he makes them one dollar in extra revenue, even if they sell one T-shirt for a profit, they’ll make money if they don’t have wages to pay for. 

There’s a discussion to be had about dragging the brand down in the long run but it’s wrestling. As long as money is made it’s all good. That’s the perspective I’m looking at it from. You get a free bet from a bookies and you win? Great, you’ve made money. Your free bet loses? Never mind, you didn’t lose any money. 

9 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Plus TK is a fanboy at the end of the day. He can't resist being able to buddy up to whoever. You just know he's going out with Ric and strutting his stuff while they both get off their faces.

Plus you know that at least one of them knows where to get the real good shit. 

2 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

If we have as strong a UKFF presence at Wembley next year as we did this, we should use our collective voices to protest this constructively. With a "Nature Boydy" chant!

I hear Tony Khan is looking for a house tattoo artist...

There's definitely going to be a match with him and Mox bleeding all over the place..

Just looked back at the original AEW PR tweet and the comments are all savage, just call out after call out which can't go unnoticed.. AEW still won't do shit tho.

Edited by Merzbow