Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

No chance would ANY ice hockey player go out to kill or injure someone seriously like that. 

Yes, ice hockey is famous for its lack of violence.

• Paid Members

The video is horrible and looks really bad but there's clearly something that happens just before his leg jerks up. The twitter mob who are suddenly experts on Ice Hockey have already decided the fella is guilty but I think I'll wait for a fair trial and evidence.

29 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yes, ice hockey is famous for its lack of violence.

That is a fair point but despite those fellas having a scrap every 5 minutes (which is fucking awesome btw), you don't really see them kicking each other in the throat. Either a freak accident or the guy is an absolute nutjob. Which we'll see if he's charged and then found guilty.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That is a fair point but despite those fellas having a scrap every 5 minutes (which is fucking awesome btw), you don't really see them kicking each other in the throat. 

Fair point, even the Hanson brothers didn't try it in Slap Shot.

57 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

https://news.sky.com/story/man-arrested-over-death-of-ice-hockey-player-adam-johnson-in-sheffield-13008311

Seems like this story isn't going away anytime soon, sadly. It was an accident. Why does someone always have to be blamed these days? Matt Petgrave must be in absolute pieces and his teammates and the Panthers team will be in bits too. No chance would ANY ice hockey player go out to kill or injure someone seriously like that. 

Having actually read the article, it seems that manslaughter is the most likely charge so it doesn't matter whether he intended to hurt him or not (I haven’t seen the clip nor do I wish to)

If me and you were larking about and I pushed you jokingly, and you fell (on your scythe) and died, I would most likely be prosecuted for manslaughter.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Having actually read the article, it seems that manslaughter is the most likely charge so it doesn't matter whether he intended to hurt him or not (I haven’t seen the clip nor do I wish to)

If me and you were larking about and I pushed you jokingly, and you fell (on your scythe) and died, I would most likely be prosecuted for manslaughter.

As others have commented on other forums, it's actually procedural more than anything at this stage. The police need to interview Petgrave under caution and can only do that if he's arrested for something.

I'm absolutely sure he never meant any malice and seeing the clip, in full, it's clearly a tragic accident. I saw a clip from an AHL game a few days later and a very similar incident happened and fortunately there was no contact from the skate to the neck, but it shows that at speed your body isn't necessarily in control of itself.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

As others have commented on other forums, it's actually procedural more than anything at this stage. The police need to interview Petgrave under caution and can only do that if he's arrested for something.

I'm absolutely sure he never meant any malice and seeing the clip, in full, it's clearly a tragic accident. I saw a clip from an AHL game a few days later and a very similar incident happened and fortunately there was no contact from the skate to the neck, but it shows that at speed your body isn't necessarily in control of itself.

I don’t think it was accidental, nor do I think he was trying to kill him, which is why a manslaughter charge seems possible. I know traveling at speed, skates yada yada. But his leg seemed to go up very high with no real need and towards the player.

15 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

The twitter mob who are suddenly experts on Ice Hockey have already decided the fella is guilty but I think I'll wait for a fair trial and evidence.

It really is a mystery how so many people from all around the world have suddenly gained expertise and begun to comment on the guilt of black ice hockey player Matt Petgrave, isn't it?

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

The twitter mob who are suddenly experts on Ice Hockey have already decided the fella is guilty

3 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

really is a mystery how so many people from all around the world have suddenly gained expertise and begun to comment on the guilt of black ice hockey player Matt Petgrave, isn't it?

12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

don’t think it was accidental, nor do I think he was trying to kill him, which is why a manslaughter charge seems possible. I know traveling at speed, skates yada yada. But his leg seemed to go up very high with no real need and towards the player

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

It really is a mystery how so many people from all around the world have suddenly gained expertise and begun to comment on the guilt of black ice hockey player Matt Petgrave, isn't it?

I don't think that is a fair assumption. Unless you knew who the players were involved you wouldn't know the ethnicity of either player. Of course, I am not suggesting for a second that some people have taken that angle upon finding that out, but if you just saw the clip that wouldn't be a thought.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

I made the mistake of checking out X-Twitter for reaction yesterday and there are tons of disgusting racially driven takes about black on white violence and accusing the reports of not naming Petgrave because he's black. Fucking horrible societies both here and in the US were lots of the takes were also from.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I made the mistake of checking out X-Twitter for reaction yesterday and there are tons of disgusting racially driven takes about black on white violence and accusing the reports of not naming Petgrave because he's black. Fucking horrible societies both here and in the US were lots of the takes were also from.

Like anyone who has ever caused a serious injury or death, he will be traumatized for that for the rest of his life. I had a school friend whose younger brother was having a row with his mate. Mate swung at him, he ducked, punched him and he fell and hit his head. He died due to the blow to his head hitting the concrete. He was charged with manslaughter and served a few years in jail. But he said he kept replaying the moment it happened, wishing he did anything but that in the moment. He was never the same after. 

Going back to the earlier comment of uninformed people making judgement, if he is charged with manslaughter, and the case does go to trial, how does a jury vote on that?