Dustin Rhodes to retire

RedRooster

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Give Black Reign one final run.

Myah myah myah. 

Oh me meow! I might have to watch those episodes of OSW Review as there pretty good. 

I loved Duatin when I was watching WCW as a kid, he was one of my favourites alongside Sting & Ricky Steamboat. His team/feud with Windham was fantastic. Tag champions, then feuding. I'm gutted I didn't get to see him in 93 as he got attacked by Windham and they brawled to the back. 

His feud with Rude was good as well. The finish of the match on worldwide was the first time I'd seen a "Dusty finish" (belly to back suplex, Rude gets his shoulder up on 2, Dustin gets his shoulder up on 2.9999. It was so close you could only just pick it up on the replay. The ref in the ring gives the win to Rude as the bumped ref on the outside is pointing and trying to explain that Dustin got his shoulder up as well). They had an iron man match on PPV afterwards. He was heaps of fun as Goldust. I was so excited for him coming in. Some of the stuff he did as "The Artist" was fun as well. Dusty Dust was particularly memorable. My memories of Black Reign are through the OSW Review episodes, and his biography was a heck of a read. He's definitely in my top 10 of all time favourites, he's had a heck of a career. It would be great if he could have a run with a title. Team him with somebody for those 6-man titles? 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’ve just double checked and it’s actually something called, “Rakuten TV,” that comes packaged with Samsung. Seems you can watch it via any device. Twenty-four-seven TNA, if that’s your bag. Great for background TV.

https://rakuten.tv/uk/live_channels/impact-wrestling

Holy shit, Chris Sabin vs Bully Ray is on right now! Might check back later, actually. 

• Paid Members

Few wrestlers have had such extremes. When he's been good (AEW run, early WCW, Booker T tag team etc.) he's been really, really bloody good. He's also been lumbered with some utter shite over the years

Also points where he's just been the pits. Black Reign, Russo or not, was horrendous. At various times as Goldust, I was praying that he'd retire.

All told though, a heck of a body of work. Definitely in the conversation for best to never win a world title, especially in the modern era where they get passed out like sweets.

• Paid Members

I’ve not thought about it in forever but I reckon Dustin played a huge part in me getting hooked on this nonsense.

I remember slowly discovering it in early 1996, with me, my brother and my cousins staying up to watch Wrestlemania 12, and whilst most of that show was boring rubbish, with people falling asleep throughout, that Hollywood Backlot Brawl blew our little minds! Nobody was sleeping for that! Sure, the rest of it is fake, but this is real! Look at those punches! Look at that blood! He’s hit him with a fucking car! Amazing!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Also points where he's just been the pits. Black Reign, Russo or not, was horrendous

He was ballooned out his gourd on pills and booze wasn't he, and TNA didn't really care. 

The Seven thing was his idea too wasn't it, all filmed himself and taken to WCW by him & dusty. I don't know if it's true but the lad he's noncing on is apparently cody. 

That said the worst was TAFKAG, all the bollocks and non of the workrate, which was tragic because when he wasn't pilled up and doing the bollocks he was an amazing mid card hand. 

Talking of the bollocks... 

c77zq1h1ihd81.png

Edited by Tommy!

As awful as Black Reign was, that whole Monsters Division was kind of fun.  Raven, Rhino, Abyss, Black Reign, just knackering each other in hardcore matches.  Even smacked out Dustin was better than Sonny Siaki.

What a career. Maybe he never fulfilled his potential, but his AEW renaissance has been the best finish to a rollercoaster of a 4 decade run. It's amazing, looking back at his first few years, and seeing how fully formed he was even at the start. In a world where you'd expect a bit of nepotism, he truly was the Natural. Then a wild ride through the "big leagues" and down, being made a pawn in some spiteful games at the expense of his legendary dad, but still managing to turn things into something quality through sheer force of talent and dedication. Losing his way and hitting rock bottom, only to find himself, clean up, and settle into being one of the low key best hands there is. He was an absolute pleasure to watch in AEW, always putting on a masterclass in simple psychology and ring positioning; a lot of trainees I've trained alongside mistakenly wrote him off as lazy, when the fact is he was always exactly where he needed to be and exactly the right time. It must've been a breeze to work with him. I know he has his school in Texas, so he'll likely be keeping his hand in in general, but he's definitely a guy I can see hanging around backstage looking to help with agenting and actually being likely to be heard, having been in there with many of those guys coming up.

He’s a very solid mid carder, this place seems to love title chases for solid mid carders lately. Give him something semi meaningful on his way out, he wouldn’t be at all believable now as a main title challenger 

1 hour ago, Louch said:

He’s a very solid mid carder, this place seems to love title chases for solid mid carders lately. Give him something semi meaningful on his way out, he wouldn’t be at all believable now as a main title challenger 

Someone of his calibre, on their way out to retirement will almost always make a believable main title challenger, and Dustin would knock it out the park.

Don't think that would happen though.

49 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Someone of his calibre, on their way out to retirement will almost always make a believable main title challenger, and Dustin would knock it out the park.

Don't think that would happen though.

I don’t believe Jericho is getting another run with the big belt when he gets a shot every now and again despite how he’s positioned, and I’d believe even less in a guy who’s been lower card since the Cody matches. Take away the nostalgia and he’s not  credible in 2023 as a challenger 

Got a lotta love for ‘The Natural’, behind Sting he was my favourite baby face in early 90s WCW and I loved a fair bit of his Goldust runs, apart from his weird ‘Artist’ phase. Him and Cody were a great baby face act as a team until they turned Cody into Stardust and their match in AEW was an utter masterpiece in emotions

10 hours ago, Louch said:

I don’t believe Jericho is getting another run with the big belt when he gets a shot every now and again despite how he’s positioned, and I’d believe even less in a guy who’s been lower card since the Cody matches. Take away the nostalgia and he’s not  credible in 2023 as a challenger 

Why couldn't he be, though? There's plenty of time in between the end of the year and now - all you'd need to do is have him come out, explain that he's planning to retire, but has one last ambition; to win his first World title in his final year of wrestling. Give him a few wins along the way, before he challenges the Champion towards the end of 2023; in what is heavily-hyped as his final match. 

Watching him try to win the title in his final ever wrestling match would be a roller-coaster of emotions. If a heel champion were to take away that dream, it would be the best kind of storyline gut-punch, and a hugely memorable moment.  

Ultimately, what matters here is whether or not people want to see the match, and if you tell a powerful enough story and get people feeling emotion, it would work in exactly the way they'd need it to.