wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, scratchdj said:

This. It’s superb and has been my ketchup of choice for almost 20 years. I’ll go to a Co-Op just for their red sauce.

It might have been you who recommended it, so thanks if you did!

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Yeah me too.

Starbucks is like the Carling or Fosters of coffee and they over roast their beans to hell and back. I know it sounds snobby but I'd rather not have a coffee at all than get one from Starbucks.

I'm sure I've mentioned this on here before, but a mate of mine who runs a coffee shop always says you can tell the quality of a chain's coffee by what they choose to advertise - if every advert is about milkshakes and flavoured syrups, it's because the actual coffee tastes like shit. I'm not a coffee snob, but I tend to drink black Americanos, so if it's bad coffee it's going to be very obviously bad coffee, and of the big chains it's only Costa that I can really stomach. I'm not a big fan of drinking out of a takeaway cup, though, so tend to wait til I'm home or at work to make a coffee, I only get a takeaway at a service station.

2 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

Travel. If going by train, first class is usually only a tenner or something more. By the time you’ve got your free sandwich, snacks, drinks, etc you’ve more than saved that. Plus you get a guaranteed seat and table.

While I don't tend to go for first class, travel and hotels are where I don't mind paying a little extra. I'm not talking the Hilton or anything like that, but if my options are an Air BNB, a hotel I've never heard of, and a Travelodge or a Premier Inn, and the chain's just a little pricier than the others, I'm still probably going to go for the chain hotel. I just see it as paying for peace of mind - I know where everything is, know how it works, know what kind of service I'm getting, can be in and out quickly without worrying about it, and that's worth the price for me. Different if I'm travelling with my other half, but if it's just me, give me convenience or give me death.

Travel-wise, it's a similar thing; I'll take a slightly longer or more expensive route if it goes through stations that I can already navigate with my eyes closed. At the weekend, I had two weddings to go to - one in the arse end of Kent on Friday, then one in Brighton on Saturday. My plan had been to stay overnight in Kent, then figure out my route via train to Brighton in the morning, but then the train strike was announced. I ended up cancelling my hotel in Kent, heading back to London on Friday night, then finding my way to Brighton Saturday morning. If I was going to be dealing with delays and cancellations and trains not running, I'd rather deal with that from stations and routes I already know, rather than being stuck trying to navigate my way somewhere from Wadhurst or wherever.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

While I don't tend to go for first class, travel and hotels are where I don't mind paying a little extra. I'm not talking the Hilton or anything like that, but if my options are an Air BNB, a hotel I've never heard of, and a Travelodge or a Premier Inn, and the chain's just a little pricier than the others, I'm still probably going to go for the chain hotel. I just see it as paying for peace of mind - I know where everything is, know how it works, know what kind of service I'm getting, can be in and out quickly without worrying about it, and that's worth the price for me.

Nope, I’m the same. I’ll also more often than not pick a chain hotel as like you, I know what I’m getting, even if it is slightly more expensive that other options in the area. 

I love my Cherry Pepsi Max, it's the only soft drink I'll buy to drink at home, and every other alternative (regular Pepsi Max, ASDA own brand, Aldi own brand etc) just doesn't taste right, like herbal tablets or cloves. 

It can be £2 plus in certain shops now though, so I'll hunt around to get one nearer to £1.50-1.70 a 2L bottle. 

As a family we moved exclusively to Aldi during the first lockdown as we got loads more for money, and with two teenagers at home we needed it. No complaints about any other alternative brands at all but I can't give up the pop!

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Kind of inspired by the brew thread but I'm very picky about my tea and I struggle with cheap teas. My preferred brand is Yorkshire Tea and I'd rather drink less tea but have good quality tea than buy cheap bags and have lots of it.

Yorkshire decaf is the only thing that gets close to the real thing. I dunno what they have at work but I have to put 3 in to get any sort of taste out them. 

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Yorkshire decaf is the only thing that gets close to the real thing. I dunno what they have at work but I have to put 3 in to get any sort of taste out them. 

Totally agree, I was drinking decaf whilst I was pregnant, most of it tastes like I imagine piss tastes. I discovered Yorkshire Decaf quite late in to my pregnancy and it was a treat. I still have quite a lot left and will happily drink it. I was using PG Tips decaf before that and they were so awful, I don't think I ever made it through a full cup - I ended up using them for cooking (for the Punjabi dish Channa/sholay you soak the chickpeas in water with teabags in it prior to cooking).

• Paid Members

Tunnocks caramel wafers and teacakes. I have all the respect in the world for Aldi's knock off chocolates - Titan Bars, Jive, Bubbly - quality snacking at affordable prices. However I splurge that extra 50p for the real deal with these two. Seem to have replaced alcohol with them since getting off the sauce, so I'm still saving tonnes.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

More ketchup news - the Co-Op has just started doing Rubies in the Rubble. A terrible name for any product but the product itself is marvellous, so they get a pass. Did an audible "Oh!" in the Co-Op when I saw it.