wordsfromlee

The Pound is tanking, interest rates rises, energy prices going through the roof. This winter a lot of people are going to have to tighten their boot straps and cut down/change the way they spend to save a bit of money and get by.

But what is a product/service you refuse to skimp on? Is there anything you will always pay the premium for and refuse to get the cheaper alternative or go without?

I'm a recent convert to the expensive, Sainsbury's Taste The Difference Maris Piper Chunky Chips after getting them in a shopping substitution. I can now never go back to the cheaper frozen chips. 

My mum would always only ever get Birdseye fish fingers and refuse to buy own brand ones even though she never ate them herself and me and my sisters couldn't have given a shit which we got.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, wordsfromlee said:

The Pound is tanking, interest rates rises, energy prices going through the roof. This winter a lot of people are going to have to tighten their boot straps and cut down/change the way they spend to save a bit of money and get by.

But what is a product/service you refuse to skimp on? Is there anything you will always pay the premium for and refuse to get the cheaper alternative or go without?

I'm a recent convert to the expensive, Sainsbury's Taste The Difference Maris Piper Chunky Chips after getting them in a shopping substitution. I can now never go back to the cheaper frozen chips. 

My mum would always only ever get Birdseye fish fingers and refuse to buy own brand ones even though she never ate them herself and me and my sisters couldn't have given a shit which we got.

Toilet Roll. Quilted, normally Cushelle, though if another brand is on offer I’ll swap it, but none of that cheap 2 ply shit

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Ketchup. It can rise to £10 a bottle for all I care, I'll still buy Heinz.

During the first lockdown I went mad and started a ketchup collection, like you do, and had considered doing it again lately. If mainly to annoy my 15yo and give them something to complain about on TikTok.

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

During the first lockdown I went mad and started a ketchup collection, like you do, and had considered doing it again lately. If mainly to annoy my 15yo and give them something to complain about on TikTok.

Interesting* Can't say I've had anything apart from Heinz and Stokes. What would you recommend?

*to oddballs like us, obviously. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Interesting* Can't say I've had anything apart from Heinz and Stokes. What would you recommend?

Hellmans Ketchup is brilliant. Prefer it to Heinz, though it’s availability is random. Just bought 3 bottles in Asda as they haven’t had any for months, but were only £1 each so stocked up.

Tiptree is the best ketchup, followed by Sauce Shop. Both are really rich so a little goes a long way. Wasn’t that impressed with Stokes, especially at the price.

Another one for me is nice coffee. I used to buy frequently from Chimney Fire Coffee but I go to a local shop now that sells absolutely tons of different beans. I change it up quite often but the price ranges from £2.50-3 per 100g.

I used to think I hated coffee, then I found out I actually hated instant coffee. 

30 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Another one for me is nice coffee. I used to buy frequently from Chimney Fire Coffee but I go to a local shop now that sells absolutely tons of different beans. I change it up quite often but the price ranges from £2.50-3 per 100g.

I used to think I hated coffee, then I found out I actually hated instant coffee. 

I've always got a cheap instant coffee jar in the cupboard, but yeah, I ain't skimping on coffee either. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I personally think the Co-Op's own ketchup is the best every day ketchup, for me. Asda's is also quite good.

But if you want something fancier, this one was absolutely lovely:-

https://rubiesintherubble.com/products/tomato-ketchup

Sauce Shop's ketchup is also excellent. I haven't tried Hellmann's ketchup yet but I'm keeping an eye out for anywhere that sells it. 

To sum up, I need a date.

• Paid Members

My morning coffee on the way to work. It has to be either Costa or Starbucks - I’m not a fan of either company but they do vastly superior coffees to Pret or Cafe Nero. I’d usually go for Costa over everything else but Starbucks is right outside the station. I justify the overly-inflated prices by having a very skimpy lunch but I won’t (can’t!) go without a coffee in the morning.

5 minutes ago, Monkee said:

My morning coffee on the way to work. It has to be either Costa or Starbucks - I’m not a fan of either company but they do vastly superior coffees to Pret or Cafe Nero. I’d usually go for Costa over everything else but Starbucks is right outside the station. I justify the overly-inflated prices by having a very skimpy lunch but I won’t (can’t!) go without a coffee in the morning.

I prefer the smaller, independent coffee shops than any of those if there's one near by, but I'm with you on Nero, it always tastes so burnt.

Costa is the best of the chains I reckon. 

Edited by SuperBacon

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

I prefer the smaller, independent coffee shops than any of those, but I'm with you on Nero, it always tastes so burnt.

Costa is the best of the chains I reckon. 

Yeah me too.

Starbucks is like the Carling or Fosters of coffee and they over roast their beans to hell and back. I know it sounds snobby but I'd rather not have a coffee at all than get one from Starbucks.