Jesus Fucking Christ

Frankie Crisp

Maybe I'm misinterpreting that caption but it reads like he's trying to say "actually, not all working class white men have shitty views on immigration" and is posting this clip precisely because it IS lucid and well thought out.

That in itself could be seen as patronising by omission.  As ever, social media's short form, clickbait format makes everything less clear.

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting that caption but it reads like he's trying to say "actually, not all working class white men have shitty views on immigration" and is posting this clip precisely because it IS lucid and well thought out.

You're not misinterpreting it at all, it's just subjective. I see it as the complete opposite. 

But you're right in that it's just clickbait and I have fallen for it, so well done Joe, whoever you are.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah that was funny. "Ooooh see how you've sneakily thrown that in there!"

Although I do often find some of it funny with those vox pops, I do think it's just sometimes an opportunity to sneer and make fun (which is fine! There are some absolute morons about) and the interviewers know exactly what they are doing and that's from a company like Times Radio!

The Joe ones are the worst. They went to Workington recently and put out a clip with a caption that to me was really cynical when in fact this chap makes a very lucid, point.

I dunno, maybe that's more of an issue with how that's presented, and I'm in no way advocating the views in that Times clip as they're hilarious (THESE DAYS?????) it just feels a bit...wrong sometimes.

I thought the guy came across as alright. He understands a lot of them come and do work that we can't fill (important work) and pay taxes. Nurses and care workers don't do cash in hand work. That the Government is heavily at fault for not incentivising people in the UK to train to do these jobs.  Even when the guy says a lot of the legal ways are blocked he admits it's true and that he was looking at it from the wrong angle. There are other factors that aren't raised but you can't discuss everything in that short period. 

edit: @Loki I interpreted it the way you do to be honest.

Edited by westlondonmist

15 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Four and a half minutes of flag shaggers talking absolute shit. The first woman is beyond parody, I thought it was a sketch from Stewart Lee’s Comedy Vehicle. One guy bascially references being arrested for saying you’re British. Jesus fucking Christ indeed. 

I should point out that coffee has been more popular than tea in the UK since the end of WW2.....

12 minutes ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

I should point out that coffee has been more popular than tea in the UK since the end of WW2.....

Plays into their hands as they still want to be in the midst of WW2, when presumably coffee was made out of dirt and offal.

6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Plays into their hands as they still want to be in the midst of WW2, when presumably coffee was made out of dirt and offal.

And chicory. Proper British coffee. None of this foreign muck. 

Speaking as someone whose job involves checking dates on fruit and vegetables for out of date produce, I also noticed how little of it is actually produced in the UK. Obviously if we were to send back all this foreign food eroding our national identity.Obviously most people are familiar with the introduction of the potato in the 16th century so we won't go down that well-trodden path. But one common staple of the woman's much missed "meat and two veg" is the humble carrot, which came from Afghanistan. In fact, pretty much every fruit and vegetable sold with "British grown" or similar on the packaging appears to have been imported to the UK at some point in history, I honestly can't find a single indigenous piece of produce, although I'm sure there must be at least one.....

According to the "voice of the British pig industry", imports of pig based produce to the UK have risen steadily alongside exports declining shortly after a certain government minister celebrated pork markets.