Chris B

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, David said:

He was advised to focus on BJJ tournaments, where he was considered to be quite skilled.

I remember he entered a three man amateur event and placed third. That’s the only thing outside of UFC that I’ve heard him do regarding MMA. Unless there was other events you know he competed in, he seemed out of his depth on all levels. 

22 minutes ago, David said:

Punk trained at Roufusport where he'd have been getting punched in the face every day

Would explain the newfound paranoia. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I remember he entered a three man amateur event and placed third. That’s the only thing outside of UFC that I’ve heard him do regarding MMA. Unless there was other events you know he competed in, he seemed out of his depth on all levels. 

Are you allowed to be a blue belt if you are a complete goof? 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, David said:

Ah, the classic "body type = toughness in a real fight" argument, eh? I thought that line of thinking went out the window when MMA showed that big muscles mean next to fuck all when you're dealing with someone who is actually skilled in combat.

And those UFC appearances you speak of? You do know he fought a guy who is a black belt in BJJ and a blue belt in Muay Thai in his debut, right? A guy who was younger and more skilled? Punk was woefully out of his depth, but as I said at the time, he deserves immense credit for actually stepping in the cage in the first place. 

The general consensus after his two fights from his coaches and people who know the sport was that he was simply too old at the time he started training. He was advised to focus on BJJ tournaments, where he was considered to be quite skilled.

I doubt he was actually "scared" of Page doing anything to be honest. Page may play a cowboy on telly, but he's a former fucking high school teacher with no real combat sports training. He's "shooting" on no one.

Punk trained at Roufusport where he'd have been getting punched in the face every day in training by actual MMA fighters.

Hate on Punk all you like, but let's not get daft with the "real fight" talk. Most of the AEW roster would do fuck all in a "proper scrap" because they aren't actual fighters. Even someone with a few years of MMA training at a low level, let alone at the level Punk got before and during his UFC run would be able to handle an untrained individual with relative ease, be they a cowboy on telly or not.

CM Punk would be doing his little ninja act and Eddie Kingston would kick him in the balls and gouge his tired exhausted eyes out. 

Didn't CM Punk get beaten up by Teddy Hart once?

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

In terms of how all this will affect the on-screen product, do we think we'll need to get used to weekly "CM Punk" chants on AEW TV like we got in WWE for seven years?

Nah. The Sniffties have decided anyone who dares have a view that AEW isn’t the most perfect thing in history is the bad guy. WWE were the bad guy because they never let talent flourish so the real wrestling fans hated them, and watched every week to show they hated them. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

3 hours ago, Louch said:

Helwani didn’t just say he was a difficult interview, he’s also said aew is in a downfall like ended wcw and said anyone who thinks aew is better than Raw is a Liar. Careful with those stones you are throwing as me in this glass house you are building Rooster haha. 

head of legal had Larry in her hands at the end of it all, punks side made no mention of any hurt to the dog in the week that followed. If you wanna believe that new story that’s fine, I’m done arguing about an ugly dogs canine catastrophe 

You’re right, we’re going round in circles about a subject neither of us can definitively prove. Your posts do help me understand why you think what you do, but I still think you lean too hard on the side of ‘AEW is perfect’. But hey, at least there’s a clear logic behind your thinking, which I can totally appreciate.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, cena's mam's clunge said:

ancient Jericho still scares everyone. 

I can only assume they are just terrified he'll start badly singing at them, like Emmett in keeping up appearances. 

3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

You’re right, we’re going round in circles about a subject neither of us can definitively prove. Your posts do help me understand why you think what you do, but I still think you lean too hard on the side of ‘AEW is perfect’. But hey, at least there’s a clear logic behind your thinking, which I can totally appreciate.

Aew isn’t perfect by any means. I’m proper in the forcing myself to watch dynamite and suffering rampage phase of fandom 

Punk's two fights in MMA were a 134 second mauling and a loss (in what many have labelled the worst UFC fight in modern history) to a man who has only ever had 3 other pro fights, losing 2 and winning 1 by DQ which isn't really "winning" is it?

He trained at Roufusport because he paid them to.

There were large scale reports at the time that he had numerous "training fights" in the gym to try and help him prepare and lost every single one.

He fought in the UFC because it made them money and Dana White thought it was amusing to watch how shit he was.

If he didn't have the name value and intrigue he had at the time he would have been fighting infront of 80 people in a bar somewhere. Dana White amongst others said as much, repeatedly.

The idea that because he got punched in the face by actual skilled fighters during sparring makes him anything more than a deluded little weirdo who's highly unlikely to be any tougher than or more likely to win a fight against 90% of the locker room is absolutely laughable.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• Paid Members

I watched a bit of that documentary series (it might have just been a one off special,  I can't remember) about his UFC run and in his training he was just getting the shit kicked out of him constantly, including by some fat old bloke who slapped him around all over the place. I turned it off because I was embarrassed for him. Proper cringe.