The PS1 Nostalgia Thread

FLips

• Paid Members

The one game I played a hell of a lot more than I should have was Vib-Ribbon. Amazing game that.

I loved my PlayStation, so many amazing games, in that era where look was important, but it still needed the gameplay.

I bought mine with paper round money. It came with Tekken 2, Wipeout 2097 and awful game called Tunnel B1 and Destruction Derby which was great.

I had a chipped PlayStation growing up so I was lucky enough to run down to the market on a Sunday morning to pick up 3 games for a fiver, most of them were shit but I didn’t know any better.

Final Fantasy 9 and Resident Evil 2 were always my favourites for the system but playing Metal Gear Solid for the first time made me realise how huge gaming could and would be. 

I bought a PlayStation Mini off eBay last year and it had all those True Blue Mini USBs come with it with the entire PlayStation catalogue and also a USB with SNES and Mega Drive Games think I paid about £90 in total, considering the console itself sells for £90 on Amazon I ended up with a right good deal.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

These entries so far. All fine, thanks for submitting. But we need to talk about THIS - 

I’m sure the game is as good as everyone says but I’m still stuck doing slaloms in the parking garage.

• Paid Members

Echoing what @air_raidsaid earlier, the home versions of the Alpha series were great. The saturn version of Alpha 2 was better, and the Dreamcast version of Alpha 3 (because of the extra power), but I played them a lot when I had a PS1 and lived at home. I also enjoyed Marvel Vs Street Fighter and the first MvC game as well, in spite of their limitations. 

When I got to Uni we my housemate Rob had a PSone, and we'd play quite a bit of Gran Turismo 2 between us. A shared save on the house memory card. I wasn't very good at the licence tests, but I was alright at the races. I could even kind of hold my own in the faster cars as well, but I still preferred driving the less powerful ones. We also had Ex Plus Alpha, but nobody would play me at Street Fighter. Those early WWF games weren't bad either. I definitely played a LOT of Attitude, and the early Smackdown games.

Your OG PlayStation was good, but I got so much more enjoyment out of the PS2. 

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Odd but fun fact - Newcastle features in the game as a secret level!

I’m friends with one of the guys who worked on Driver - he’s based in Newcastle and has fond memories of making this level!

Did anyone have a Multi Tap? Those things were so handy for four player split screen on Crash Team Racing or multiplayer chaos on Micro Machines V3. Playing against people online just isn’t the same.

PS1 was my jam for the longest time, I had the original until it broke down so I got the slimmer smaller model and had it chipped so I could get the cheap bootlegs. I mostly played FIFA and Premier Manager and the Smackdown and WCW games but I did also play some platformers, namely Crash Bandicoot and Abe’s Odessey

One thing I’ve loved about going to Comic Cons in Liverpool the past 5-6 years is the fact they have a retro game zone so when I need a breather from walking the floor, I pop up to it and jump on the PS1 if it’s free, in May they had Crash running on it which was a blast to run through a couple levels on

I don't know how the hell my parents afforded it at the time but I somehow got a PS1 for Christmas in '95 with a copy of the flawed and honestly quite broken Battle Arena Toshinden, it was fun enough but what got the most playtime that day was the second version of Demo One. So much so we went out to Dixon's on Boxing Day to grab a copy of Destruction Derby, Doom soon followed and I still say it's the best version of the game with the new music and sound effects making it feel more like a horror than the awful (yes, awful) midi renditions of metal songs on the PC.

Plus, the exclusive Club Doom level with the banging techno track!  I think I've waxed on about the T-Rex demo before but that was just magic, it blew my mind and was what really shown me that this new generation was something completely different and high tech.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

There are so many PS1 games I think of as Demo Games rather than the full thing. Kurushi, Kula World, Overboard, Nightmare Creatures, Destruction Derby, and Parappa The Rapper all come to mind. I know they all got full releases but in my head there’s nothing past the demo.

Net Yaroze was one of the coolest things about the demo discs, it's a shame the console needed to develope those games was so expensive that most people just couldn't afford them. I think you still needed a good PC, too.

I've got an ISO or two filled with all of them collected together, including some that never made it into the UK discs. I distinctly remember a weirdly translated JRPG and the guy behind it was signed to Square because of it, plus there was a nice Sensible Soccer clone.

What a welcome thread - the second console we owned after the might Sega Megadrive. Christmas 1998, an original playstation with Duke Nukem, Tomb Raider and Star Wars: Dark Forces attached. So many great memories:

Tombi - a great 2D platformer that seems to go for stupid money.

Kula World - the joy of bouncing around platforms as a beach ball, avoiding spikes and gathering fruit...

Rocks & Gems - this surfaced on one of the early demo discs and was a no-frills clever puzzler

My all time favourite: Future Cop: LAPD. Countless hours spent playing multiplayer, racing around in a police mech, capturing turrets in multiplayer and going back to a solid campaign mode. I'd love an updates version.

WCW Nitro was the first wrestling game on there and it didn't disappoint. Thunder, on the other hand...

I can go on, but I won't... for now.

Thank you @FelatioLips - Nice to go back to a simpler time. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Loki said:

@Carbomb You and I may be the only people to have even played Deathtrap Dungeon let alone finished it.

I definitely played the demo, but never the full game. I've spent this morning desperately trying to find and remember a game that this reminded me of, though, to discover that it was Excalibur 2555 AD. Only ever played the demo, spent 25+ years not being able to remember the name of it, but the godawful puzzles and voice acting have been a constant source of comedy for me and my brother for the entire time. 

"What have you got to barter with then, eh?"
"I'd like to serve you a drink, but I haven't got any glasses".

40 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Net Yaroze was one of the coolest things about the demo discs, it's a shame the console needed to develope those games was so expensive that most people just couldn't afford them. I think you still needed a good PC, too.

I've got an ISO or two filled with all of them collected together, including some that never made it into the UK discs. I distinctly remember a weirdly translated JRPG and the guy behind it was signed to Square because of it, plus there was a nice Sensible Soccer clone.

The weirdly translated JRPG is almost certainly Terra Incognita, another recurring frame of reference for me and almost nobody else:

DKMlxuoXoAEI6LA.jpg

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Wideload90 said:

WCW Nitro was the first wrestling game on there and it didn't disappoint. Thunder, on the other hand...

I take massive exception to this. Compared to vs the World, it was a dogshit button basher.

1 hour ago, Wideload90 said:

Kula World - the joy of bouncing around platforms as a beach ball, avoiding spikes and gathering fruit...

Rocks & Gems - this surfaced on one of the early demo discs and was a no-frills clever puzzler

These were absolutely excellent.

I'm trying to remember how I would've played them, I'm guessing demo disc from Official Playstation Magazine?