woke.

PunkStep

17 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

And I'm not talking about these footballers upbringing- I'm making the point that most have been rich all their adult lives.

You specifically said they have no idea what it’s like to struggle for money. Their upbringing says otherwise. One of the pundits, Ian Wright, even went to prison for non payment of fines because he couldn’t afford to pay them. They know all about living in either poverty or just getting by. 

17 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

If the terms of his contract say he's to keep political opinions to himself and he's consistently broke that, then he's an idiot for not doing so. 

But the BBC said after investigating he didn’t break any rules previously. I’m sure they said he didn’t this time initially but after coming under pressure, probably from the government, said because of his high profile different rules must be applied. 

Edit - @Hannibal Scorch The Apprentice has never been produced by the BBCs studios. It’s part of a global franchise. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

13 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

You specifically said they have no idea what it’s like to struggle for money. Their upbringing says otherwise. One of the pundits, Ian Wright, even went to prison for non payment of fines because he couldn’t afford to pay them. They know all about living in either poverty or just getting by. 

But the BBC said after investigating he didn’t break any rules previously. I’m sure they said he didn’t this time initially but after coming under pressure, probably from the government, said because of his high profile different rules must be applied. 

Edit - @Hannibal Scorch The Apprentice has never been produced by the BBCs studios. It’s part of a global franchise. 

My point was they've been so rich for so long they don't know how hard it is in 2023 in terms of getting by. Not showing up for BBC this week is one thing but it's hardly admirable or brave, they all live rich lavish lifestyles and would be begging BBC for work if they had to. 

Last I'll say it cause it's dragging on but if Lineker has rules like we all do, and he's getting paid millions a year, it's his responsibility to follow them, him being rich and famous doesn't excuse him from it. If he's got a problem with the terms of his contract and if he actually has balls then he wouldn't take the money.

If what you're saying is right and he hasn't broken any rules of his contract then fair play I take back what I said. My point is we all have rules, I do and I get minimum wage. I know if I break them I will get disciplinary action and could lose my job. Lineker being rich doesn't excuse him from it, if he's broke the rules then ha ha ha, rich idiot finds out his actions have consequences and he can't just do and say whatever he wants.

4 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Not showing up for BBC this week is one thing but it's hardly admirable or brave

Solidarity is admirable in my book. 

Nobody is saying Lineker et al are exempt from rules. It’s the selective implication and interpretation of the rules that’s the issue. Especially when it’s the very people he criticised applying the pressure. 

And of course, what he said was correct. He didn’t mention the holocaust or the Nazis, the tories did. They aren’t disputing their rhetoric being used. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

My point was they've been so rich for so long they don't know how hard it is in 2023 in terms of getting by.

This is a ridiculous statement because that ignores people’s experiences growing up in the 70’s and 80’s. In fact you can argue the reasons why people like Lineker speak up is because they lived it. Unlike your JRM or Boris Johnson’s of the world who are completely out of touch.

And modern footballers are the same, don’t you remember what Rashford was doing for school meals?

• Paid Members

The argument for funding the BBC with our TV License gets weaker and weaker when they start pulling presenters for tweeting opposing political views and taking David Attenborough off the air because his nature documentary might upset Tories.
Keeping the BBC around made plenty of sense when there wasn't many channels or radio stations and they offered so much, but in the digital age where everyone has DAB Radio and several streaming options their content is becoming less essential too. Not to mention all the nonces.

27 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The obvious solution, not a final one, is right here. 

39E7D711-ECD5-4EDA-89E8-20DB2B3FE551

"And that leaves the first division table of the Alpha Draconis star system looking a little something like this..." 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

No Fighting Talk on 5Live this morning. No explanation, but it has to be Lineker related. Either a BBC fear of what would be said, or Colin Murray wouldn't play ball, or possibly a combination of the two. 

Colin Murray pulled out. Some speculation that 5 live coverage today is in jeopardy.