James Bond Watchathon

Loki

47 minutes ago, Loki said:

@johnnyboy 

By this point though the new Hollywood is establishing itself and making big money films, and the Bond producers seem to feel that they have to respond.  So you get this odd mix of a set formula with the genre-du-jour imposed on top.  For such a successful franchise Bond is often very insecure about its value.

Looking forward to the next movie now!

I think that's what makes the Craig films more interesting than they intended. I find them more politically troubling than the older films, which I'm sure I've talked about before, because they try to seriously present Bond in the real world (which I know people retroactively tried to apply to the Connery films as well but it's bollocks). Having said that, for all their navel gazing, they're still Bond films. They try and make heritage movies but they're still reliant on tropes from other movies, such as The Dark Knight, and they're maybe even less confident at being Bond than ever. Which, because of the heavy handed way they try and connect Bond's plight to the plight of Britain (especially in Skyfall) says something far more interesting about Britain than I think they ever intended and in a way that's far more Fleming than I think they realised. 

A View to a Kill is the only Bond film I've sat and seen start to finish. It's a fucking awful film but I was delighted at everything utterly weird about it. Without looking it up I remember Grace Jones breaking Bond's old lad, some horse plot, Christopher Walker has a blimp and a superb hairstyle and the Duran Duran song. Oh and one of Walken's heavies played a Columbo baddie when they brought the show back but it wasn't as good.

You missed the best part. Bond cooking a quiche. 

To be fair to AVTAK, if they have been allowed to do the Eiffel Tower stunt the film would have probably had one of the top 10 stunts in the franchise (at least up to that point). It would have looked great. Unfortunately, someone else parachuted of the Eiffel Tower first and the local government got worried about copycats. 

Edited by Vamp

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Chili said:

A View to a Kill is the only Bond film I've sat and seen start to finish. It's a fucking awful film but I was delighted at everything utterly weird about it. Without looking it up I remember Grace Jones breaking Bond's old lad, some horse plot, Christopher Walker has a blimp and a superb hairstyle and the Duran Duran song. Oh and one of Walken's heavies played a Columbo baddie when they brought the show back but it wasn't as good.

And someone gets murdered with a Sony Walkman.

I'm a bit soft on AVTAK, most likely because it was the first Bond I saw in a cinema, but I remember the chase with the Fire Engine being impressive. 

You're not making this easy, I've got three more films to slog through before I get to A View...  Anyone want to say why Octopussy is their favourite film?  Anyone?