James Bond Watchathon

Loki

• Paid Members

That's a heck of a short term deal. I wonder where they'll end up after that. Is Sony starting up its own streaming service?

EDIT: Amazon have bought MGM, so I presume they'll stick the MGM stuff behind a paywall and turn it into a subscription channel on Prime.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Stop the pigeon said:

Managed to watch the Brosnan and Craig ones

For Bronson it's Goldeneye and nothing else surely. I liked him as bond but beyond Goldeneye they were awful.

Craig had royale and Skyfall, but QoS is one of the worst films in the series.

Edited by Tommy!

14 days!  Arseholes, there's no way I can manage that.  I will have to cherry pick some.  Bloody Amazon, ruining a good idea.

58 minutes ago, Loki said:

14 days!  Arseholes, there's no way I can manage that.  I will have to cherry pick some.  Bloody Amazon, ruining a good idea.

9am - Dr No > break for a pee, need at least 3 mins to urinate (seems to take forever these days, I never thought when I was in my 20s that I’d have to push) > 11:05 - From Russia With Love > 1:15 - Goldfinger, Strawberry Nesquilk, fish cakes > 3:35 - Thunderball > dump? (see how you feel after the fish cakes) > 6:15 - You Only Live Twice, tin of Director’s > 8:20 - Diamonds Are Forever (put the roast on as soon as you see the Moon buggy)

Rinse and repeat for remaining films

• Paid Members
On 5/31/2022 at 6:15 PM, Loki said:

We are absolutely up and running now.  Gunbarrel sequence, a lavish pre-credits where Bond appears to die and the full jiggly ladies in the title sequence.  We are also gifted my personal favourite baddie, in the form of Robert Shaw.  

From Russia With Love is my favourite Bond, based on watching them all on ITV years ago. I've never gone out of my way to watch them all loads, because I'm not a huge fan (though I have seen the cracking Live and Let Die about 5 times). I watch this today and for about two thirds through I was wondering if I'd been remembering the wrong film. It was good, but a bit meandering and wasn't grabbing me, but as soon Robert Shaw kicked into gear on the train I remembered why I loved this so much. What a fucking actor. Like a malevolent Michael Palin. Between this, A Man For All Seasons, The Sting and Jaws, I think I'm in love with the man.

• Paid Members
On 5/31/2022 at 5:37 PM, Loki said:

It has to be said Ursula Andress is a truly terrible actress - Connery often seems to be simply ignoring her and acting with someone just to the side of her as she's so wooden.  

Hot take here - I have to say the same for Joseph Wiseman's Dr. No. Taciturn, almost robotic "You are stupid I am smart I will take over the world with these metal hands etc." patter with no actual personality. Even Donald!Blofeld has some kind of smirking enjoyment behind his megalomania.

• Paid Members

Not sure if it's of interest to anyone but I believe Odeon are working through the bond films in there "old film" slot. 

Golden gun is the next up at my local on Tuesday, they started with Dr No and look like they are running 1 a week. 

• Paid Members

Did the Dalton double bill tonight. The Living Daylights has sone to al problems. Some of the gags still feel like it was written with Roger Moore in mind, and Dalton's delivery of them isn't good, but he does the best with what he's got. He has great intensity. It's a heck of a ride though. Joe Don Baker puts in a good showing, John Rhys Davies is good. 

Licence to Kill is a banger. Robert Davi is trying to be Pacino in Scarface, baby Benicio Del Toro is nicely menacing, and the writing fits Dalton's style a lot more. Cary Tagawa has a nice little bit part. Talisa Soto is wooden as Lupe. Carey Lowell seems better as Pam Bouvier, but both Dalton movies seem to suffer from some really obvious and clunky ADR. They're both a tonal pallet cleanser from the Hollywood excess of Roger Moore's era (my favourite Bonds), and I wish he'd had a few more outings as he could have gone down as one of the greats. 

I'm watching Doctor No now. I've never seen it. It's so different from all the others. I might try and give On Her Majesty's Secret Service a watch as well. Good Bond movie, bad Bond actor. 

I accidentally missed Thunderball out so I need to go back and watch that before I post any more reviews.  Sadly I think time may be against me.

I remember loving License To Kill.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

I accidentally missed Thunderball out so I need to go back and watch that before I post any more reviews.  Sadly I think time may be against me.

I remember loving License To Kill.

Dalton as Bond is so underrated. He deserved to be in more. 

Can you not just watch Never Say Never Again instead? It's ostensibly a remake. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Tonight I watched From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, and then Never Say Never Again to compare and contrast the two. 

I think Dr No and From Russia With Love are great, probably because they feel a lot smaller and a little more grounded than the others. Goldfinger is like the first "proper" Bond movie. Thunderball drags in places. Connery looks like he's aged by about 5 years between each movie as well. 

Never Say Never Again feels like it's paced better, and it always amuses me how it feels like they deliberately try to sidestep a few of the usual mainline Bond tropes. I don't think he says "Bond, James Bond" at any point in the movie? There's a bit of a tongue in cheek feel to it, and Connery looks like he's having fun as well. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz