WWE RPG?

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

Apparently on the latest financial call somebody at WWE has let slip that there's an RPG in the pipeline. I'm sure it'll feature such things as when you put your character's name in it'll force you to have another one, and if you refuse or try to edit it at any point in the game it results in an immediate game over. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/wwe-signs-deal-for-new-wresting-rpg

Please enter your name.

"No sorry, we have found the following error with your chosen name: YOU MAY ONLY HAVE ONE WORD FOR YOUR NAME."

Featuring fully customisable outfits for your superstar!

Please choose your attire.

"No sorry, this item isn't available. Would you like this ROMAN REIGNS tshirt?"

"I apologise. Something has gone wrong. For the same cost, you may purchase this BROCK LESNAR hat."

• Paid Members

Sounds awful. I would say I dont understand when they try and translate their characters from the wrestling into games that arent wrestling games. But I suppose it makes sense, since they've been trying to pretend they're anything BUT wrestling for bloody years.

• Paid Members

It's not necessarily the worst idea. I posted a thread a while back mentioning that another company is doing a retro-style RPG featuring knock-off versions of guys like Macho Man, Warrior, and Andre, called WrestleQuest. It looks fun.

https://gamerant.com/wrestle-quest-pro-rpg/

• Paid Members

I assume it's a tabletop RPG rather than a video game - I get a lot of ads on Instagram for RPG books based off various media properties lately, so I assume someone has stumbled upon an easy way to cobble together a working system to turn any old guff into a halfway playable game, and WWE are looking to get on the bandwagon.

• Paid Members

That's true - a lot of people got into tabletop RPGs during lockdown and kept up the habit, myself included. Most recent ones I've seen are games for Dune and Blade Runner.

Licensed TTRPG's are mostly awful and feel rushed out with bad balancing, systems that just don't fit the IP or multiple mistakes with Dark Souls being the most recent fuck up. You can't just take a gaming system and slap on a coat of WWE paint, and I don't imagine it being an intricate system being built from the ground up.

There is World Wide Wrestling RPG that's already out, the GM creates a federation and NPC's and along with the players puts on a show. It's a collaborative effort but you could also be trying to be the best wrestler (or not, you could happily roleplay a jobber or anything inbetween).

• Paid Members

Not entirely unrelated to the chat here, my wife got me the Road to Wrestlemania board game last week cos it got cheap on Amazon, and it's a surprisingly good representation of being a WWE superstar.

You go round & round & round in circles trying to string a couple of wins together, but for every win you inevitably pick up a loss straight after. If it does look like you are about to achieve something, an unfortunate event occurs and find yourself back in NXT with all your accomplishments taken away through no real fault of your own.

When you do finally battle your way to the main event of Wrestlemania, the guy who was there first has such a massive advantage over you there's very little chance of you getting the win.

It's also just about fun enough to make you want to keep doing it.

If they were to make a RPG they'd be better off looking to past characters then current ones. 

Role-playing as Ministry Undertaker, Papa Shango, Ultimate Warrior or Ric Flair sounds far more appealing than role-playing as Dolph Ziggler or Cedric Alexander.

As long as we're role-playing as their gimmicks and not the real life people behind them.