Punk

Tommy!

• Paid Members

A recent off topic discussion on punk popped up and as I am sure is well known by now my music taste is awful, so sell me some punk. Who's good, who's shit and hopefully a couple of people will get into a long and pointless argument about if someone is punk or not. 

So, what do I know; I like the ramones (it's alive gets a regular spin) who I'll await being told aren't punk knowing me, the sex pistols album and I'm with Keith that the clash are shit. 

It's such a wide range, that there's something for everyone.

Right now I'll say Ferocious Dog, Buster Shuffle, Maid of Ace, Dirt Box Disco, Riskee  & The Ridicule are all worth listen.

Heavier stuff, try Discharge, Exploited or The Casualties (they got rid of their predatory singer so listen to their new stuff or rerecorded versions).

Music with a social conscience, Crass, Hagar the Womb & Chumbawamba.

Lighter fun stuff, The Rezillos Splodgenessabounds, Pizza Tramp or Peter & The Test Tube Babies.

Acoustic? Wreckless Eric and Beans on Toast are great.

Oi! Takers and Users, The Chisel and Crown Court.

Classic bands go for The Damned, Cock Sparrer & Stiff Little Fingers.

Couldn't fit them into the above but Wonk Unit and Bar Stool Preachers are superb.

Frankly I love the punk scene and have just scratched the surface. As I wrote in the other thread, arguments about what is or isn't punk is for chin stroking losers. Just enjoy it.

59 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

A recent off topic discussion on punk popped up and as I am sure is well known by now my music taste is awful, so sell me some punk. Who's good, who's shit and hopefully a couple of people will get into a long and pointless argument about if someone is punk or not. 

So, what do I know; I like the ramones (it's alive gets a regular spin) who I'll await being told aren't punk knowing me, the sex pistols album and I'm with Keith that the clash are shit. 

I've never really been sure what punk actually even means. I grew up in a period where skate rock bands would be referred to as punk and The Misfits, who were apparently punk, appearing on Nitro. 

I wouldn’t say the Clash were shit, overrated but they had some decent songs that were unfortunately lost in double and triple Lp album's. 

Edit: with @Just Some Guy Chumbawamba, their late folk punk music is worth a listen. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

Bands like The Damned (already mentioned), X-Ray Spex, Television, Siouxie and The Banshees, New York Dolls, Bad Religion and Black Flag are classic punk bands. You can’t go wrong with those and you’ll probably find at least one track from them featured on punk compilation albums.

Bit more modern ones - and my favourites - are Rancid, The Vandals and (perhaps a bit more ska than punk) The Living End. Modern punk can sometimes be a bit over-produced in comparison to 70s/80s punk and be more punk-rock/punk-ska but can be a good introduction to the genre.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

The band I was in covered this at a youth centre gig we did, amongst some of our usual covers. My mate the lead singer insists they loved us, but I'm pretty sure the applause they gave us was the kind that an assembly of kids give to the people who've come in for the road safety talk. We were dreadful, and at one point had a trombone player, but we were entertaining. 

I prefer the 'emo' side of punk and could probably recommend 20 albums from that offshoot, but let's go with something a bit more traditional and more 'recent' (well, more recent than 1977)

Jawbreaker-24 Hour Revenge Therapy.

Even though I preferred Jets To Brazil, this album absolutely nails the perfect straddle between punk and emo, and has been often imitated but never bettered.

Refused-The Shape Of Punk To Come.

Different to anything I'd ever heard when I first became aware of it, very innovative.

The Menzingers-After The Party

Massively influenced by Springsteen, for me this is the best punk album of at least the last 10 years, an absolute masterpiece. 

Turnstile-Time & Space 

I'm not a massive fan of hardcore but I would listen to Turnstile all day long. Incredible live as well.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

We were dreadful, and at one point had a trombone player,

These two things could possibly be related.

• Paid Members

No. We were the most punk band in Blackburn. We'd rehearse for a week before every gig we did, mostly cover pop songs, badly, usually our guitarist would snap a string during the first song. We could never keep a drummer so I ended up drumming. We were decent musicians, because I ended up getting poached to play bass in a Ramones tribute band, and even stuck around when they went back to doing their own material. Both bands did a gig together. I played twice and somehow ended up only getting paid half what everybody else got. Happy Times. 

Going to limit myself to 5 bands as I could do this all day. 

Creeper 

Although they've become more Meatloaf than Misfits over the past few years, their first handful of releases are incredibly catchy slices of goth punk that reminiscence of stuff like AFI and Alkaline Trio. 

Bob Vylan

Mixing the sounds of punk rock with grime, Bob Vylan tackles subjects like racism and police brutality. 

Bad Nerves

If you like Ramones, you will love these guys. No-frills punk that has hooks for days. 

Martha

Who said punk can't be wholesome? This wasn't my first pick for a Martha song, but I had completely forgotten that they have a song named after Wrestlemania VIII and that one feels more appropriate to post here. 

Witch Fever

These guys are going to be huge. I get strong L7 vibes from them.