AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
Just now, Louch said:

3 years in have you wonder what value his voice still brings. Number of people who haven’t watched wrestling years but haven’t caught some of AEW by now must be tiny 

He's not been a regular part of WWE in a decade, and only made a handful of appearances after that. As you say, it must be a vanishingly small demographic who are so nostalgic for the sound of Jim Ross' voice that they would watch a "new" promotion because of it, and I'm doubtful that the sound of his voice affords any extra credibility to people who don't associate it with the Attitude Era WWF. 

In terms of nostalgia for the kind of market AEW are reaching for, it feels like the Smackdown brand of the early '00s, with Tazz on commentary, would be just as valuable a touchstone. For the TBS/TNT continuity, they've got Tony Schiavone, who's currently ten times the announcer JR is, and brings a genuine warmth and enthusiasm to the show. It's difficult to see where JR fits, and what he brings to the table any more.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

He's not been a regular part of WWE in a decade, and only made a handful of appearances after that. As you say, it must be a vanishingly small demographic who are so nostalgic for the sound of Jim Ross' voice that they would watch a "new" promotion because of it, and I'm doubtful that the sound of his voice affords any extra credibility to people who don't associate it with the Attitude Era WWF. 

In terms of nostalgia for the kind of market AEW are reaching for, it feels like the Smackdown brand of the early '00s, with Tazz on commentary, would be just as valuable a touchstone. For the TBS/TNT continuity, they've got Tony Schiavone, who's currently ten times the announcer JR is, and brings a genuine warmth and enthusiasm to the show. It's difficult to see where JR fits, and what he brings to the table any more.

I’d have no issue with him being kept on PPV’s or the battle of the belts. But as a weekly show, AEW have an embarrassment of riches at the announcers table (obviously I don’t mean Jericho).

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'd prefer Taz and Excalibur, Tony being the main interview guy and using JR for those special sit-downs.

I think they'd be mad to ditch Schiavone. His enthusiasm for what he's watching is infectious, and he clearly loves what he's doing. There's a real benefit to having someone like that announcing your shows. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Ex/Tony/Taz is by far the best. Get JR out for some big matches, keep the rest on Elevation or whatever.

This. Whilst it was nice that Jim got that moment when he returned, the novelty wore off after about a week and it was obvious what a step down it was losing Taz. JR has a place in the company doing sit down interviews and maybe calling PPV main events but for anything else they’ve got far better options.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Judging by his podcast, JR is just fucked off with the state of the wrestling business and his position in it. I can understand it, like, he was a big part of the last boom period and probably expected to be a WWE lifer. Instead he got sacked off for ridiculous reasons and he's back to being just an announcer, in the number 2 promotion, with no influence over anything.

He also comes off like one of those old timers who believes that their vision of wrestling is the only correct one and, if they don't care about something, then no one should. He said as much about criticism of his NJPW work. He was all "So I got some names wrong. Big deal. Who cares?" as NJPW was some tiny indy that was lucky to have him.

I think he'd benefit from some time away from wrestling. He comes off so bitter and defensive that it really can't be healthy for him.

Cracking show this week. Electric promos, some incredible wrestling and stars getting to be stars. It was immediately noticeable how much better the acoustics/crowd micing was this week, best sounding crowd in forever. Hardcores will probably hate the show opening promos but I like the mix up in formula.

Fuck me, that Eddie pop! Give that guy more airtime.

Jon Moxley is coolest, most consistent character in wrestling. They shouldn't even be thinking about turning heel anymore.

Every week it seems like there's a moment where I'm completely taken out of it because some idiot is about to kill themselves. Rosa vs Mercades had at least three of them. Jesus fucking Christ. Worked out in the end though as a violent ugly mess.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I meant to say this the other day, and maybe it's more noticable on Rampage than on Dynamite as he is expected to carry a lot more of the weight on commentary, but I am starting to dislike Excalibur's commentary. He says the same stuff, week after week after week. "We have to restore some semblence of order!" or the exact same tone and intonation every, single time he's throwing to a picture-in-picture break. There's loads of lines he uses and, since he never, ever switches them up in any way, it's gotten to the point, for me anyway, where I start to roll my eyes every time he starts rolling one off, which is multiple times a show, every week. It's like he took a course in "how to sound like a wrestling commentator" but offers very little particuarly unique or special at all. Even the way he says "it's Friday, you know what that means" on Rampage vs how JR says it on Dynamite, with the same enthusiasm he might tell me the next bus is in an hour.

Edited by 69MeDon

3 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Fuck me, that Eddie pop! Give that guy more airtime.

I assume we are getting a proper babyface main event run from Eddie eventually but it does make me nervous how little we've actually seen of him since the Punk match.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Pinc said:

I assume we are getting a proper babyface main event run from Eddie eventually but it does make me nervous how little we've actually seen of him since the Punk match.

He's been injured. Also I think a Kingston main event run is probably unlikely. He's better in that just on the cusp always a bridesmaid never the bride level. His whole act is based on the struggle, if he actually had a winning run on top it'd take the edge right off his character. 

48 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

He's been injured. Also I think a Kingston main event run is probably unlikely. He's better in that just on the cusp always a bridesmaid never the bride level. His whole act is based on the struggle, if he actually had a winning run on top it'd take the edge right off his character. 

This. As we have seen with Hangman’s reign so far, getting over the struggle is a hard story to move on from. Eddie will get far more from never making the top, than any “you deserve it” title run. 

21 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I think they'd be mad to ditch Schiavone. His enthusiasm for what he's watching is infectious, and he clearly loves what he's doing. There's a real benefit to having someone like that announcing your shows. 

It's SUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Noone else could have made that feel a big deal, while also poking fun at himself