AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

It all went to shit at the end of MJF’s promo though. I hated MJF turning on Regal. Absolutely hated it. I’m sure there’s a real life reason for it, either Regal really is going back to Papa H or they’re trying to at least play on those rumours, but either way it felt like such an e-fed thing to do. Swerve on a swerve. They never saw it coming, bro. It’s one thing to surprise and subvert things. It’s another to just overcomplicate and make everything messy seemingly for the sake of it.

AEW is resorting to swerves far too often at the moment, and it's always to the detriment of the story they're trying to tell. The Daniel Garcia/Chris Jericho/Danielson storyline was one of the best things they were doing, and they stopped it in its tracks for reasons I just don't understand. 

You had the bizarre debut of Jeff Jarrett, in which they "swerved" by having a random wrestler appear underneath the Sting mask, prior to Jarrett's debut - it added a layer of unnecessary to the whole thing that I would argue took away from Jarrett's appearance slightly. 

Then there was the Moxley/Punk debacle - where they had a very good thing going, up until they added a twist they didn't need, the match in which Punk was demolished by Moxley, only for us to get the same match at the PPV anyway, but the twist in the tale had made it feel far less exciting. 

Heck, even Preston Vance turning on the Dark Order to join Rush - that was a swerve. 

I probably wouldn't have minded MJF taking out Regal if it was the exception to the rule, but AEW's storytelling isn't quite as logical as it once was, for whatever reason. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Then there was the Moxley/Punk debacle - where they had a very good thing going, up until they added a twist they didn't need, the match in which Punk was demolished by Moxley, only for us to get the same match at the PPV anyway, but the twist in the tale had made it feel far less exciting.

The thing with this one was that on paper it actually sounds pretty smart and good. Unfortunately the execution was a bit off as there wasn't enough time between the squash and the PPV to tell the story properly and all we got was that god awful Ace Steel/Punk promo where he just rambled about Chicago.

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

The thing with this one was that on paper it actually sounds pretty smart and good. Unfortunately the execution was a bit off as there wasn't enough time between the squash and the PPV to tell the story properly and all we got was that god awful Ace Steel/Punk promo where he just rambled about Chicago.

I think you're right. It could have worked, but there would have had to be more time between match a and match b, for the story to be properly told. 

Damn. I mean I've complained many a time about how Hangman had a shit title reign and how they struggled to deal with the babyface champ after getting to the top of the mountain, but I'm guessing that's not exclusive to a hot babyface. My interest in MJF as champ already got killed in one segment. Nice.

• Paid Members

MJF literally listed Ricky Starks, Bryan Danielson and EDDIE KINGSTON as future opponents. I should be over the moon. That Regal turn left such an unsatisfying taste though. Assuming how likely it now seems that Regal is going back to WWE, you have to feel sorry for Max. Lad can’t catch a break. Every time they have a clear direction for him something goes wrong, they pivot, and he’s left tasked to make it work.

Still shit though. Regal and MJF would have been brilliant together.

The ROH pay per view being themed around Blackpool Combat Club vs. Jericho Appreciation Society is unbelievable. Anarchy in the Arena was in May. Jesus Christ. Not everything needs to go on forever. Do you think Tony Khan ever fancies a tight 90 minute film? Or does he only ever watch the The Extended Edition Lord of the Rings Trilogy on loop?

Edited by Supremo

I agree the MJF segment was a bit... bleh, but wasn't that their/his point? He spelled it out - they want everyone to go back to hating him. They shouldn't have done all the full babyface teases before the PPV and it's all been a mess, of course, but this seemed part of a reset. Yep, most of us would want to see MJF and Regal together, which is why they're not gonna do it (Edit: Erm, I just realised I don't even agree with my own point, the way I've described it here!). As said above, they've pivoted, probably found themselves in a corner with the Regal stuff (and the Firm before that) and are still scrambling to get back on track. I'm sure things will improve for MJF once he gets past Ricky Starks and has his first big challenger to chase him.

Oh, and insert more Hangman love here. And Jade - except for her segment falling off a cliff. I thought some well-known free agent or something was about to come out to challenge her. :(

Edited by Mr.Showtime

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

MJF literally listed Ricky Starks, Bryan Danielson and EDDIE KINGSTON as future opponents. I should be over the moon. That Regal turn left such an unsatisfying taste though. Assuming how likely it now seems that Regal is going back to WWE, you have to feel sorry for Max. Lad can’t catch a break. Every time they have a clear direction for him something goes wrong, they pivot, and he’s left tasked to make it work.

Still shit though. Regal and MJF would have been brilliant together.

I disagree. MJF is a great talker, as is Regal. While the turn at the PPV made sense, a longtime pairing didn't, especially when the BCC is still active. I thought the turn played in with everything he has done since return (Don't make a deal with the devil). The promo was a little long, but already setting up potential matches was great and I can see this being a long slow burn.

13 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Or does he only ever watch the The Extended Edition Lord of the Rings Trilogy on loop?

He watches the Fellowship EE and then appendices, then its Two Towers EE with their appendices, finally Return of the King EE with their appendices. At which point he feels like he's friends with everyone and flies in whoever wants a payday for a private screening so they can do an in person running commentary.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The ROH pay per view being themed around Blackpool Combat Club vs. Jericho Appreciation Society is unbelievable. Anarchy in the Arena was in May. Jesus Christ. Not everything needs to go on forever.

Bryan Danielson is pretty open about not having much longer left in his career. Every time I see him booked against Jericho and co. I feel like screaming. He has a limited number of matches left, I want him with a new opponent every week. Give him Darby. Give him Orange. Give him the Young Bucks. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Do you think Tony Khan ever fancies a tight 90 minute film? Or does he only ever watch the The Extended Edition Lord of the Rings Trilogy on loop?

it's Tony's entire booking philosophy. Long = good. If a feud runs for 5 months it must be good, because it ran so long. Regardless if nothing of note happened between month 2 and 4.