AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m saying that your assertion she got pushed due to a Channel 4 documentary is patently bollocks. 

The channel 4 doc is supposedly how the Rock seen her story which is probably where this mix up comes from 

I'd love to know what that segment was actually meant to achieve beyond "let's just chuck some women on the screen because we have to."

They've literally just sent a bad promo out there with fuck all to say and sent the champion out there with fuck all to do. 

I sort of get that the women might need some promo time to develop but you're surely not going to do that on Dynanite and why give that time to Saraya of all people. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Chris B said:

I think taking wrestling overly seriously is far more embarrassing.

Yeah, it's only wrestling fans who think doing comedy in wrestling alienates non-fans. It's consistently comedy stuff that gets reactions from first-timers at shows (the girlfriend dragged along to keep boyfriend happy, the dad there with his kids), and it's comedy stuff that I get the most messages, tags in comments, and so on, from friends who aren't into wrestling or who haven't watched it in years.

Non-fans are far more likely to say "fucking hell, why do you watch this?" over a bad strike exchange, a melodramatic promo, or an extended period of sweaty grapplefuck wrestling, than over a bit of comedy in something they already think is inherently silly. Comedy is one of the best ways to win people over to wrestling, because it's a way of saying, "I know what we do is a bit daft, but this is letting you know we're in on the joke".

• Paid Members

The idea that "funny doesn't equal money" is immediately disproven by the fact that both Stone Cold and The Rock were funny as fuck and a big part of the reason for their massive success.

You could argue that John Cena never reached their heights at the main event level because he tried to be funny but very rarely actually was.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I can’t believe we’re even having this conversation post-Orange Cassidy. He closed the case on this rubbish anti-comedy take. All the grumpy idiots said he couldn’t work in a mainstream setting and then he went on to be one of AEW’s biggest successes and a merchandise machine.

Anyway, this should be great.

CADB7FC1-C3DE-4EA9-B6C9-0A1F0D9F7F9E.thumb.jpeg.15a525670972c30927ef3357479699e2.jpeg

Best thing about Punk’s implosion has been them remembering how great Hangman is and no longer taking him for granted. I know the World Title has suffered from being a hot potato recently but I’d be half tempted to get the belt back on Hangman and pretend the last year simply never happened. Go into the new year with Hangman and MJF feuding over the belt. Two homegrown, fresh faces. Back to basics. Butterfly jeans a must.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Best thing about Punk’s implosion has been them remembering how great Hangman is and no longer taking him for granted. I know the World Title has suffered from being a hot potato recently but I’d be half tempted to get the belt back on Hangman and pretend the last year simply never happened. Go into the new year with Hangman and MJF feuding over the belt. Two homegrown, fresh faces. Back to basics. Butterfly jeans a must.

I don't know what Hangman needs to get back on track, but I don't think it's a title win - his existence in AEW was very much defined by his relationship with The Elite, and for me he still needs to establish who he is now, and what his purpose is; outside of winning matches/belts. Page has already proven that he can cut outstanding babyface promos, and I'd like to see him get more mic time, not only in the run-up to his match with Moxley, but beyond that. He'll have a great match with Rush, pretty much everyone in AEW is capable of that. Very few can cut a promo at the level of his "that's cowboy shit" promo - I'd like to see more of that, and more character and storyline building in general. 

Now that Hangman is - potentially permanently - removed from The Elite, there's a great story to be told, as he finds himself once again. 

This week felt very sparse in terms of star power. Regal, Jericho, MJF/Wheeler all out for multiple segments.

I know its partly because of Ian (the Hurricane, not the poster), but it does make me reflect on how perfectly they had their ducks in a row as All Out went off the air. And how much Punk's injury/breakdown banjaxed what should have been a really hot few months of TV with Punk/MJF chapter 2 on top and The Elite having six man bangers every week. They've rebounded reasonably well but middling shows like this get me wondering how its going in the parallel universe where Punk just thanked Mox for a great match and went backstage to eat pastries.

Edited by Pinc

18 minutes ago, Pinc said:

This week felt very sparse in terms of star power. Regal, Jericho, MJF/Wheeler all out for multiple segments.

I know its partly because of Ian (the Hurricane, not the poster), but it does make me reflect on how perfectly they had their ducks in a row as All Out went off the air. And how much Punk's injury/breakdown banjaxed what should have been a really hot few months of TV with Punk/MJF chapter 2 on top and The Elite having six man bangers every week. They've rebounded reasonably well but middling shows like this get me wondering how its going in the parallel universe where Punk just thanked Mox for a great match and went backstage to eat pastries.

And didn't do a tope that got him hurt.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Pinc said:

October/November could have been dominated by Punk/MJF on top with an Elite/BCC feud underneath and it would have been fucking magic. But no, Punk had to be Punk.

• Paid Members

If this isn't a work (and if it is, it's a fucking stupid one), Sammy seems like a nightmare to work with and Andrade hasn't gone about it the right way either. What an absolute shit show.

Shame as it seems like this week's Dynamite and Rampage are shaping up to be pretty solid.