AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Moxley was announced for this weekend's GCW show. As soon as that happened quite a few people, the types that live online & go to shows, were thinking he would turn up tonight.

Which is why i'm perfectly fine with it being announced in advance to draw eyeballs. Any subsequent buzz is going to come from any angle that plays out tonight. As has been suggested Bryan Danielson interrupting the promo and heeling it up does that.

Moxley is their wrestler, so while him returning is a surprise of sorts, it also makes sense to advertise him. Although I would have thought they'd bring him back next week in Ohio for the home-state hero's welcome. Unless they're hoping that him returning tonight might push a few extra sales for next week (if they're struggling for ticket sales, I don't know)

31 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

Unless they're hoping that him returning tonight might push a few extra sales for next week (if they're struggling for ticket sales, I don't know)

This place is fairly small. A new build with the main intention being the home arena for DC's WNBA team. For basketball it only holds around 4,000+. It was meant to be near enough sold out before the announcement. Once the production got in there were a handful of seats opened up.

I'm curious to see what it looks like on TV with a wrestling set up.

spacer.png

Edited by Infinity Land

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

I think CM Punk has completely revolutionised pro-wrestling returns.

For decades it’s felt like the default opinion was that a big surprise was the zenith. No build up. No spoilers. I remember moaning myself when The Rock started hinting the afternoon before he came back in 2011. But after watching that Punk return at least three thousand times since it’s happened? It’s the best. Fuck surprises. Nothing beats that split second of anticipation as everyone holds their breath. The entire arena chanting for something, and then boom. Here’s exactly what you wanted. Pure magic. Way better than something happening completely out of the blue.

I hope they advertise him as the final segment of the show, announce, “please welcome, returning to AEW…” let the fans start chanting his name and then hit the music. Fuck yeah.

Part of the magic of Punk’s return was the mystery though. It was implied he would be there and nuggets of information  were deliberately leaked (though we didn’t know this for sure at the time) - but we didn’t know for sure. You thought he had to be there, but up until the moment Cult of Personality hit, nothing felt certain. It almost seemed too surreal to be true. 

For me, Punk’s return was a one-off, and it would be almost impossible to replicate it. 

That said, I think there’s room for surprises, and for advance notice of a return (though I do prefer the former, I must admit).

In Moxley’s case, I think hyping it makes a lot of sense. I like your idea of Moxley being the final segment of the show, allowing the crowd to get hyped, and give him the love he deserves. Depending on what he has to say, if he says anything, this could end up being one of the most memorable moments in AEW history; a celebration of a guy who has likely helped a lot of people by being brave enough to get help. 

I do worry that they’ll make the mistake of opening with Moxley, and closing with Cody. Although an interesting turn could be taken if they have them return in the same segment. I’d be more than up for a Cody/Moxley feud; even with the added complication of Sammy being an interim title holder.

14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

One hundred times out of one hundred I’ll take small, weird-looking, packed venues over the usual, bog-standard 15,000+ basketball arenas, plunged into darkness to hide the empty seats.

The place they've ran in Miami is probably the closest capacity wise. I think that's looked quite poor on TV as they still keep everything after the floor seats in the dark.

• Paid Members

595D87BA-24EA-4339-ACB3-63135DD1BEE7.thumb.jpeg.85d24bac7703816932b674ad03af7272.jpeg

Cool graphic. Bonus points for seemingly abandoning FTR’s match with Arn’s son and whats-his-name. I’ve seen enough young lion, A-list vs. D-list matches. Let’s get some proper matches going again! Like when Dynamite was can’t miss!

The way Cody’s big return has been completely overshadowed by Mox coming back would make for an interesting way of turning Cody heel. I’m fully aware that I’m a complete mug for still holding out hope for that turn, though.

Putting that TBS title on anyone not named Deeb was certainly a choice.

I always enjoy a mix tag. Looking forward to this even though I know it'll bring out all of Cole and Britt's worst instincts. 

Pissing with excitement for Moxley's return. I can't imagine him doing a "welcome back" style promo. See him getting his hands dirty right away. Danielson smugly walks out before he even gets to say a word. Bang! Paradigm Shift. He's outta there.

Be interesting to see how much time Punk/Spears gets. It's time to move on from the 'Punk is rusty' thing and start giving him some decisive wins.

Spears is fun in this role and has been good crack for a while. Better than Cody.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

On 1/15/2022 at 9:08 AM, Mr.Showtime said:

The only thing that really bugged me about the show this week was that Orange Cassidy got kicked in the balls AGAIN. I swear that's been about 54 times. Why is he being made to be such a moron??

Make that 55 times! FFS.

Really fun main event I think. Great to see Moxley back. As for the rest of it - for the first time with Dynamite I didn't watch the whole thing at once, I got to the Archer/Kazarian match and decided to leave the rest of it for a few hours later in the day. Not a good sign I guess. Just feels like there's something missing sometimes but I'm not sure exactly what that is. It certainly isn't the AHFO(!!) Yay.