AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

They've given him basically nothing to do for 3 months, proper shoddy booking and he has no clear current direction with The Elite gone. The crowd reaction to him and Omega facing off shows that there's definitely something still there but they have to give him something good to do. No good reason why he's been treading water since losing the title.

I actually think he fucked himself and I don't mean this in any bad way, but when he was white hot he went away as his wife gave birth (of course that should be his priority) but it definitely slowed up the momentum. He came back and people liked it as they like Page and he beat Omega. What should have happened is he went up against someone like MJF. A proper shit heel. Instead we got Bryan who everyone secretly loves and then Punk, who is a big star. He got overshadowed.

He can still build himself up though. Many have/ Jericho should be an example for him as someone who flopped a bit as a champ first time through no real fault of his own and who utterly bounced back

Edited by Factotum

14 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Because AEW/TK have never licensed real songs before

There's a bit of false equivalence here, as Nick James has pointed out. An iconic Stones song isn't going to come cheap. 

38 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Yeah, but if you're trying to gain new viewers, don't shoot your bolt all in one night - especially when you've just lost your biggest draw(s), even temporarily. Makes far more sense to build something over a couple of weeks, especially with a big show coming up.   

That's a fair point, but I would argue that with Arthur Ashe coming up, you don't have to. You could, for example, have had The Acclaimed in a position where they're forced to earn their rematch "next week", or something like that. It's not the biggest complaint in the world, and totally excusable - I'm just a bit fed up of tournaments!

42 minutes ago, Duke said:

I honestly think that would make the show feel really chaotic and not in a good way. 

Plus it gives time to build MJF v whoever (presumably Mox, based on tonight?) properly. I think hotshotting the belt onto MJF would be a mistake.

They've done similar before, and they've done it well (big matches on one show) - done right, it can feel exciting - but as with Chris, I think you have a fair point. There's no silver bullet, or obvious right approach here. 

23 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I think it's time I accept that Hangman's star power is almost gone with dwindling crowd reactions, they've fooked him good and proper but I'm not sure how much of that is actually on himself now.

I wish I could disagree with you, but the reactions speak for themselves. Moxley calls himself the heart and soul of AEW, and he's right - but I always hoped that would be Hangman, and that it indeed could be. I'm not entirely sure how this has all happened either, there's no obvious moment for me where it all went to shit. Perhaps it was the timing of his title reign - he won the belt while Punk felt like the hottest thing in wrestling. I hope they figure out how to salvage him, particularly now The Elite are gone (for the short term, at the very least)

• Paid Members

One of my favourite images in the history of pro-wrestling is Stone Cold before his Raw Street Fight with Bret, head in the corner, absolutely consumed and exhausted with hatred and anger.

D6B741ED-246B-43A2-ABBF-B0DEC3261D17.thumb.jpeg.fda34f4a5e863c808580bff7ccda6b5a.jpeg

D0BB84AB-298D-40CC-A36B-45A249D05EF9.thumb.jpeg.8679af8b3c0bf398efccb6f0a0ceb8cd.jpeg

Jon Moxley on this show had the exact same energy, resting against the ropes. Only Jon’s consumed and exhausted by the constant responsibility to carry this company through all the bullshit and never go on his well-deserved holidays.

Danielson feels like the most likely choice for the next World Champion but let’s not ignore the elephant in the room. How long until he gets injured and we’re doing yet another tournament? Is Moxley going to have to come back again? Will he ever get his vacation? It’s going to be like the end of Quantum Leap!

0E562EC7-3BB7-4038-9A07-7F88DBCED379.thumb.jpeg.af4af3655bf5d0d045ab8dc5c8aa5415.jpeg

• Paid Members

Moxley absolutely deserves a win after the run he's been on, but the problem is how late stage WCW the title's history will look if that's the case:

At the moment, the title history goes CM Punk > Jon Moxley (Interim) > Jon Moxley > CM Punk > Vacant. Add in Jon Moxley at the end of that, and that would be three reigns with the belt in the span of four months, from a promotion that early on seemed to be favouring longer title reigns. It's even more muddled thanks to the Interim mess, Punk's injuries, his probable release or suspension now, and two impromptu tournaments. 

Given that whoever wins this is most likely going straight into a match with MJF, I feel like it should be someone who can weather the storm of a loss to him - and while Moxley undoubtedly could, I think keeping away from another convoluted and messy title picture is the best call. To some extent, that eventuality is unavoidable, and I hope I'm wrong and that they have MJF keep his title shot as a threat looming over the champion rather than going after them immediately. 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

I don't believe there was a real negative or muted reaction to Hangman, I just think it was a weird show with a weird vibe and the crowd were acting weird because a) all the weird shit that happened on Sunday, b) the weird lack of explanation from Tony Khan's address, and c) Buffalo isn't exactly known for having a hot wrestling atmosphere. They cheered for their fave's entrances and were kinda quiet during the matches save for big moments, finishes and highspots.

Hanger is fine, but Bryan's music has to fucking go. It doesn't fit his character and in-ring style at all, and doesn't illicit a big reaction due to how fucking drab it is.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

To some extent, that eventuality is unavoidable, and I hope I'm wrong and that they have MJF keep his title shot as a threat looming over the champion rather than going after them immediately. 

Danielson winning at Grand Slam and then dropping the title to MJF at Full Gear seems the best option to me. The ultimate professional wrestler feuding with the ultimate, short-cut taking, cocky cheating little arsehole is a very natural feud.

I really like Bryan's music , and I think it reflects well that for one of those "Wrestling is my mistress" sorts he actually has a theme that's...cool...and has a bit of modern bite, but it definitely swoops in too low. It's a problem they had with his debut so I'm surprised they've not fixed it yet. It needs to kick in like an air raid siren. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I don't think its ever been portrayed as a "Money in the Bank" type chip.

MJF said that he gets a title shot "whenever I want" so it's not clear to me. Maybe that's setting up some kind of cash-in? Hopefully not.

42 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Hanger is fine, but Bryan's music has to fucking go. It doesn't fit his character and in-ring style at all, and doesn't illicit a big reaction due to how fucking drab it is.

I love it, it's actually one of my favourite AEW themes!

33 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I don't think its ever been portrayed as a "Money in the Bank" type chip.

It hasn't but it's perhaps noteworthy that MJF made a point of saying he could cash in the title shot "any time" he liked.